Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia post ndustrial action definitely on.

Wikiposts

Australia post ndustrial action definitely on.

Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia post ndustrial action definitely on.

Being an Aussie post worker, I'd like to take the time to inform people on here, that if they have any urgent postal items they want delivered they need to get out and do it today, or tomorrow.

There is a 95 pct probability that there will be a two day postal strike, which could roll over week after week, with two days taken off each week until the dispute is cleared. This will result in huge delays, especially if the action goes on for 3 weeks or more.

I cannot see anyside budging at present, with the Apost bosses looking at the Royal mail precedent, and the postal workers fighting for conditions they have earned over the period that Apost has existed.

The crux of the action is over the new EBA7, which will allow Aussie post to cut every postal worker who is on shift penalty payments (allowance) to be cut by 15 pct, by changing the hours that postal workers work by as little as half an hour later in the instance of fulltime posties and one hour later with night sorters. Aussie post will almost certainly do this, as this is how all new employees are taken on.

The vote for industrial action was taken by secret ballot last week, and was passed by a majority of 74pct of union voters.

Personally, as a shop steward I wish it were just overtime bans, to highlight the serious short staffing enviornment that we are working in at present. The union has gone hard core, I anticipate a long and nasty campaign, with some heated pickett line confrontations. I will add though I do think that most people would take major offense to having 15pct cut of their annual wage.

Post today or tomorrow, I reckon its on either Thursday or Friday this week, and then every week until it end. The action may well not start for another fortnight, to ensure the pickett lines are picked for maximum effect.

Apologies to all, I'm pretty anxious about this.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 5th 2007 at 11:04 am.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia post ndustrial action definitely on.

Hi, this is nothing to do with the strike (we have one in the uk at the moment but ours will last til weds) but how do become a postie in Oz? We are looking to be in Adelaide by middle of 2008 and my partner and I want to work in jobs where we can be at home with our 4 year old when his not at school. I'll be working in a school (hopefully) but hubby is thinking of becoming a postie so he'll be at home with us in the afternoons. But I've not seen anything on the net about posties there hours and the pay (sorry sore subject) what is a Ozzie postie called?

Hope you can help and hope you get what you want with the strike.

Tina
Old Oct 6th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Being an Aussie post worker, I'd like to take the time to inform people on here, that if they have any urgent postal items they want delivered they need to get out and do it today, or tomorrow.

There is a 95 pct probability that there will be a two day postal strike, which could roll over week after week, with two days taken off each week until the dispute is cleared. This will result in huge delays, especially if the action goes on for 3 weeks or more.

I cannot see anyside budging at present, with the Apost bosses looking at the Royal mail precedent, and the postal workers fighting for conditions they have earned over the period that Apost has existed.

The crux of the action is over the new EBA7, which will allow Aussie post to cut every postal worker who is on shift penalty payments (allowance) to be cut by 15 pct, by changing the hours that postal workers work by as little as half an hour later in the instance of fulltime posties and one hour later with night sorters. Aussie post will almost certainly do this, as this is how all new employees are taken on.

The vote for industrial action was taken by secret ballot last week, and was passed by a majority of 74pct of union voters.

Personally, as a shop steward I wish it were just overtime bans, to highlight the serious short staffing enviornment that we are working in at present. The union has gone hard core, I anticipate a long and nasty campaign, with some heated pickett line confrontations. I will add though I do think that most people would take major offense to having 15pct cut of their annual wage.

Post today or tomorrow, I reckon its on either Thursday or Friday this week, and then every week until it end. The action may well not start for another fortnight, to ensure the pickett lines are picked for maximum effect.

Apologies to all, I'm pretty anxious about this.
thanks for the heads up! But cant post any thing here as royal mail on strike to. They are talking about 2 days rolling strike action each week here to until their issues with pay are resolved, i think courier companies are going to be very busy over the next couple of weeks!!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose we will be in for a lot of this nonsense if Rudd the Dud gets in.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi, this is nothing to do with the strike (we have one in the uk at the moment but ours will last til weds) but how do become a postie in Oz? We are looking to be in Adelaide by middle of 2008 and my partner and I want to work in jobs where we can be at home with our 4 year old when his not at school. I'll be working in a school (hopefully) but hubby is thinking of becoming a postie so he'll be at home with us in the afternoons. But I've not seen anything on the net about posties there hours and the pay (sorry sore subject) what is a Ozzie postie called?

Hope you can help and hope you get what you want with the strike.

Tina

Try through this link here, and good luck. An Aussie postie, is just called a postie same as the UK, oh and to be sure of employment its a prerequisite to have a Motor bike licence.

Probably only contract work available at present whilst things are a little heated, so circa 21 bucks per hour for 6 months contract. Not exactly a solid foundation for building a life in a new country.

http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080...7EMO19,00.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 6th 2007 at 3:30 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just learned last night, and to be confirmed to us today, That Apost and its workers have settled their differences. Just in case anyone is interested, the outcome was a 16 pct pay rise over 3 years, (we had been offered 13pct) which has to set a precedent, when you consider the nurses are only getting offered 13 pct over 3 years in Vic.

Most importantly, and the main catalyst for threating strike action is, existing employees will not have to sign a work place agreement over the next 3 years. People on workplace agreements at post now will automatically be offered permanent parttime at current award rates after 1 year of service.

So a successful outcome, which shows how far you have to push, even decent employers like Post to the brink to maintain what we currently have. Luckily staff shortages probably played a major factor in this.

If a major employer like post has offered 16pct over the next 3 years, that will probably set the benchmark for most other government linked employees.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 22nd 2007 at 4:16 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Just learned last night, and to be confirmed to us today, That Apost and its workers have settled their differences. Just in case anyone is interested, the outcome was a 16 pct pay rise over 3 years, (we had been offered 13pct) which has to set a precedent, when you consider the nurses are only getting offered 13 pct over 3 years in Vic.

Most importantly, and the main catalyst for threating strike action is, existing employees will not have to sign a work place agreement over the next 3 years. People on workplace agreements at post now will automatically be offered permanent parttime at current award rates after 1 year of service.

So a successful outcome, which shows how far you have to push, even decent employers like Post to the brink to maintain what we currently have. Luckily staff shortages probably played a major factor in this.

If a major employer like post has offered 16pct over the next 3 years, that will probably set the benchmark for most other government linked employees.
Don't complain when inflation increases and interest rates have to rise to counter it. It sounds like Rudd might take power just at the right moment. Interest rates at 18% anyone?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Don't complain when inflation increases and interest rates have to rise to counter it. It sounds like Rudd might take power just at the right moment. Interest rates at 18% anyone?
If Aussie post doesn't increase its prices, then surely we entitled to a productivity component rise + cost of living rise the same as anyone else in the community.

FYI Apost made a profit of circa 500 mil last year and paid about 450 mil in taxes making it a net earner for the Government of circa 950 mil.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If Aussie post doesn't increase its prices, then surely we entitled to a productivity component rise + cost of living rise the same as anyone else in the community.

FYI Apost made a profit of circa 500 mil last year and paid about 450 mil in taxes making it a net earner for the Government of circa 950 mil.
For the size of the organisation and the monopolies they have, that is quite a small profit.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why should the price that Aussiepost charge have anything to do with your pay? Just because the managers of a company have been diligent and efficient why should you be entitled to a productivity pay rise? If you want to manage the company go and get a job as a manager. You will be paid more. I have no problem in a profit share scheme where say 10% of the profits are distributed amongst the workers but I see no reason it should be given as a pay rise. What happens next year if profits are down, would you take a pay cut, I bet not.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For the size of the organisation and the monopolies they have, that is quite a small profit.
Most postal services around the world, are subsidised.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Why should the price that Aussiepost charge have anything to do with your pay? Just because the managers of a company have been diligent and efficient why should you be entitled to a productivity pay rise? If you want to manage the company go and get a job as a manager. You will be paid more. I have no problem in a profit share scheme where say 10% of the profits are distributed amongst the workers but I see no reason it should be given as a pay rise. What happens next year if profits are down, would you take a pay cut, I bet not.

Supply and Demand, we cannot get staff that will stay, will find out tonight whats happening to them, as new starters are definitely 2nd class citizens when it comes to rights and pay at present.

I used to work with a profit share system back in the UK, loved it. First year I qualified for profit share at the Shipbroking company I worked in we received a 33pct bonus of our annual salary, courtesy of a major fix, of Coal between Brazil and Japan, the champaign corks were popping for a while after that massive deal.

Terrible career move on my part moving to Aus.