Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

I am not sure if it is the Australians over-hyping it or the British as far as I am aware the Wanded Down Under programme is British, as well as other proprty programmes I have seen, I have only seen one commerical since being the UK for Australia, I see lots of British ads for cheap deals on flights etc.

So I agree it is overhyped but not by the Australians.

But if people only base their descision on what the media etc tell them then they are in for quiet a shock

Originally Posted by caliburn
After reading hundreds of threads here, I have a feeling that Australia is perhaps a little bit of an oversold or overhyped country. With exorbitant property prices, high cost of living, relatively low income level, arguably a racist society, life-style compromise for some, scanty job market etc..... is it still a good value proposition for you?

So, why do people still go there? Lack of alternatives? Most other countries are non-English speaking, Canada too cold, US not to everyone's taste, NZ not offering much prospect, Ireland not different from UK....

One thing is for sure..... Australians have managed to market Ozland very well. You are Wanted Downunder!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:42 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I am not sure if it is the Australians over-hyping it or the British as far as I am aware the Wanded Down Under programme is British, as well as other proprty programmes I have seen, I have only seen one commerical since being the UK for Australia, I see lots of British ads for cheap deals on flights etc.

So I agree it is overhyped but not by the Australians.

But if people only base their descision on what the media etc tell them then they are in for quiet a shock
Wanted Down Under is rubbish, comments are edited and I bet the Australian government pays for it or puts some money into it. They show all the problems, showing it isn't suitable and they aren't sure but at the end, hay-presto, everyone loves it and wants to move. It is to a degree fixed and NO-ONE should take that programme for the 100% truth.

Last edited by Robw4; Jun 23rd 2009 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:54 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Robw4
Another great post, really shows the truth...
This is the problem; tradies rely on the ramping of property prices. Property prices only ever go up in Oz, or do they?

All of a sudden tradies are feeling the pinch, not rocket science really is it?

A large percentage of the Brit Expats were guess what? Tradies, and guess who will be struggling in the future, yep tradies, why because we are at peak PONZI, and Ruddy boy know's it. He is doing whatever he can to keep the last PONZI going in the English speaking world. When this last PONZI goes, then the tradies go?

Yep you have minerals, but prices are falling and consumption is falling, this will impact on Australia, because currently it’s trying to stand toe to toe with the US and the UK, but one thing Australia lacks is its credibility on an international stage with intellectual knowledge, it does not have enough intellectual knowledge or a base of any sorts of knowledge really?

Oz culture is laid back and I like it, you will live a long life, but this culture will never support this current “Oz is different, we will not see falling house prices” No way, Ruddy my old mate is throwing whatever he can at it, when this goes, Oz will feel more pain than the US and the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:15 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

As an Australian (living in Hungary) I am surprised at number of migrants going to Oz without even visiting, and often being drawn to the same places e.g. Perth and SE QLD?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:42 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

it's no different over here, migrants turn up in their hundreds every day because they believe that the UK is paved with gold.

once you get to know a few migrants (I have some working for me) they admit that it was a reality check/wake up call but, anywhere was better than where they came from. I personally don't blame them for doing it and probably would do the same.

I also think that all "developed countries" have the same issues and the residing population cannot understand why people would do this.
This in turn leads to questions like this one.

me thinks anyway
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:42 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

easy one this.

no one asked you to come to aus, so if you have bloody doubts.........

DONT COME .......
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Apparently the world is ending in 2012 so the climate in 2080 is kind of irrelevant
I've planned for that. Apparently it's going to happen on my son's birthday so we're throwing the party a week earlier.

Who'd have thunk that a uneducated working class Sun reader like me would know about the Mayan apocalypse?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 23rd 2009 at 9:20 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:20 pm
qld
Banned

qld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
After reading hundreds of threads here, I have a feeling that Australia is perhaps a little bit of an oversold or overhyped country. With exorbitant property prices, high cost of living, relatively low income level, arguably a racist society, life-style compromise for some, scanty job market etc..... is it still a good value proposition for you?
It is the safest country in the southern hemisphere

You mention racism but what are the alternatives?

South Africa under black rule is a racist disaster.

New Zealand has huge problems with half its crime being committed by Maori, Tongans and Samoans.
Rape, Assault and Child Abuse some of the highest rates of the first world.

UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and Australia are the main English speaking countries.

USA has huge problems with race problems whether black, Mexican or whatever.

Canada is going to be as bad. They let in huge numbers of migrants from all the worst places in the world. Only because Canada is such a wealthy country it has not exploded.

South Africa is not a good country.

Which leaves you Australia.

Australia is warmer and slightly better than these other countries.

UK is a racist country against white people.

Racism huh.

You must be Aboriginal to apply for this job...

What other good countries speak english and let any brit in?

Hong Kong? Singapore?

Last edited by qld; Jun 23rd 2009 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
I would just like to chime in with what the heck is a "USAns"?
Another name for 'merkins
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:25 pm
qld
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Another name for 'merkins
rather than

USAs
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Petals
I have been here for over 30 years so know what its all about here in Aus and we are happy here, my children do not even want to go to the UK for working holiday.

From being on the forums I think people get caught up in it all its like this big adventure and at the end of the rainbow things are not quite as imagined.

Lets face it most migrants from times gone by have migrated for a better standard of living which Aus had but times have changed the common market arrived and made all things cheap in UK.

I see recently people returning because they cannot get a job, lets face it its never been that easy to get work and especially if you do not have the certificates and paper to substantiate experience and training in the job.

Australia has to demand that people have substantiated experience and papers, certificates, degrees to prove job experience, migrants are coming from third world countries and they have to provide these. Despite what people think Australia is not racist when it picks its migrants and every migrant has to be treated the same way.

Please make sure you have the paperwork before coming to Aus and trying to get work. If you do not have it, it will be VERY VERY HARD.
Are these the same countries we are outsourcing our work to?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by qld
rather than

USAs
Is that like Englands?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:29 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by qld

New Zealand has huge problems with half its crime being committed by Maori, Tongans and Samoans.

UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and Australia are the main English speaking countries.

Canada is going to be as bad. They let in huge numbers of migrants from all the worst places in the world. Only because Canada is such a wealthy country it has not exploded.

Racism huh.

Hong Kong? Singapore?
So has Australia, high numbers come from China and Japan...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:33 pm
qld
Banned

Originally Posted by Robw4
So has Australia, high numbers come from China and Japan...
Sorry for the confusion.

What countries can a Brit person easily migrate to?

There is nowhere else for them like Australia. Maybe New Zealand or South Africa but they have their own problems worse than Australia.

We have 600 000 people in australia of chinese ancestry. Only a few permanent Japanese.

The Japanese are the major tourists.

This is not about Chinese migrating to Australia this is a discussion on why brits chose Australia.

There is only a few countries in the world like Australia that speak english.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:33 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by qld

Racism huh.

Hong Kong? Singapore?
Cheers;

and that was a post from "The Australian Tourist Board".

This board is so one sided most of the time, its a wonder Mr Rudd is not the Honouree President begging cashed up Brits to call in for a year and waste a few hundred grand on one of his sheds on legs, oh by the way, he'll throw in $21k, i tell yeh, its a give away, its different this time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.