Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I'd go along with that.Personally during my final eighteen months in London would travel to Paris for a long weekend once a month,having a girlfriend there.
Every three months roughly would take a week to ten days in another destination within Europe.
Consider Australia as being similar to Europe, and someone in Brisbane may nip down to Sydney for a weekend holiday, or over to Perth or Hobart for a week or two.

People in the UK have holidays in their Continent (Europe), whilst people here in QLD (for example) tend to have holidays in their continent (Australia).

Just a different way to view it.

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Consider Australia as being similar to Europe, and someone in Brisbane may nip down to Sydney for a weekend holiday, or over to Perth or Hobart for a week or two.
That's the same as going from London to Newcastle.

People in the UK have holidays in their Continent (Europe), whilst people here in QLD (for example) tend to have holidays in their continent (Australia).

Just a different way to view it.
Apart from the fact that Australia is not a continent. Oceania/Australasia is.

Not really the same thing and while Australia is a big place, Australia is still Australia. Not so with Europe.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 23rd 2009 at 4:46 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
Not really the same thing and while Australia is a big place, Australia is still Australia. Not so with Europe.
Europe is not really Europe ??? things have changed since I left...

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:54 am
ABCDiamond

For the people who really think that, they should really consider whether they would fit in this country...

My daughter popped down to NSW for a skying trip last year, a bit different to nipping up to Newcastle from London..........

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Who'd want to go to Newcastle for a holiday

Sorry mate your teachers have misled you (they misled me in school as well). Australia is the continent. Oceania and Australasia are regions created for geopolitical purposes. Neither of them are continents.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 23rd 2009 at 5:00 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

My daughter popped down to NSW for a skying trip last year, a bit different to nipping up to Newcastle from London..........
A proper comparison may be:

London to Geneva for a ski holiday? Distance 750 km

Brisbane to Canberra for a ski holiday ? Distance 1100 km

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Europe is not really Europe ??? things have changed since I left...
Europe is Europe but you can't compare a continent comprising 50 different countries all with their own identity, history, culture and language to Australia, which is one country comprised of 7 states (similar to counties in England) one language, a predominantly Anglo culture and virtually no history unless you count the natives.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Europe is Europe but you can't compare a continent comprising 50 different countries all with their own identity, history, culture and language to Australia, which is one country comprised of 7 states (similar to counties in England) one language, a predominantly Anglo culture and virtually no history unless you count the natives.
Sounds like one of the ads for the place.
Add weather, beaches and kangaroos and you have a perfect idea for selling the place.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:06 am
ABCDiamond

You can if you want to. Especially if you don't want to go to a country where you don't speak the language, or you don't like their food.

Obviously that isn't you, and I have no problem with you wanting to take European trips. I actually considered that scenario before I came here, hence I am not bothered by it now.

I understand that some people come here for other reasons, but many are actually happy with what is on offer to them here.

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Who'd want to go to Newcastle for a holiday

Sorry mate your teachers have misled you (they misled me in school as well). Australia is the continent. Oceania and Australasia are regions created for geopolitical purposes. Neither of them are continents.
You're quite correct. Australia is a continent, however the limitiation of this is that it leaves a number of countries continent-less. When you include New Zealand, PNG and the Pacific Isles, this is know as Oceania which is also known as a continent, used in place of Australia. You are right in mentioning geopolitical purposes.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 23rd 2009 at 5:20 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:19 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

By one definition Europe is a region of the continent of Amafeurindasia; Americas, Africa, Europe, India and Asia since all those regions are joined above water or through a common continental shelf.

Many definitions of continents including:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
By one definition Europe is a region of the continent of Amafeurindasia; Americas, Africa, Europe, India and Asia since all those regions are joined above water or through a common continental shelf.

Many definitions of continents including:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)
Yes, I agree. Different countries, publications and geographers use different definitions for continent to suit their needs.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:27 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

You're quite correct. Australia is a continent, however the limitiation of this is that it leaves a number of countries continent-less. When you include New Zealand, PNG and the Pacific Isles, this is know as Oceania which is also known as a continent, used in place of Australia. You are right in mentioning geopolitical purposes.
A term sometimes used by distant peoples, not Australians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
A term sometimes used by distant peoples, not Australians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania
From the same article:

"The term is used today in many languages to define one of the continents and is one of eight terrestrial ecozones.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:38 am
ABCDiamond

OK let's go with Oceania then, with its 25 official languages, not as many as Europe with its 50 different countries all with their own ... language as you stated, but not bad all the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.