Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I think the budget prices are pretty good. Prices will never be as low as UK because of the distances involved.

Air Asia: Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur $199.
Tiger: Perth - Bangkok - $190.
Viva Macau: Sydney - Macau - $343.
I know the prices have come down but $199 is not £1 + £27 airport tax (or whatever it is).

Distance is and always will be the crux of the matter. On top of that though, Australia's aviation industry is miniscule in comparison to the UK/EU. Increased competition will always drive prices down and Australia historically has only ever had a few airlines to choose from. Things are changing now but it has still got a long way to go but cost will never equal the UK's.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 23rd 2009 at 1:19 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
After reading hundreds of threads here, I have a feeling that Australia is perhaps a little bit of an oversold or overhyped country. With exorbitant property prices, high cost of living, relatively low income level, arguably a racist society, life-style compromise for some, scanty job market etc..... is it still a good value proposition for you?

So, why do people still go there? Lack of alternatives? Most other countries are non-English speaking, Canada too cold, US not to everyone's taste, NZ not offering much prospect, Ireland not different from UK....

One thing is for sure..... Australians have managed to market Ozland very well. You are Wanted Downunder!
Many English people readily sold it to themselves (on the back of ordinary soaps!). They are not the only ones, many other nations do it too.

Weather, English-speaking, a vaguely safe and desirable 'Western' and prosperous (yes) lifestyle.
In fact, it STILL does this things well. There are many places that don't.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deancm
I know the prices have come down but $199 is not £1 + £27 airport tax (or whatever it is).

Distance is and always will be the crux of the matter. On top of that though, Australia's aviation industry is miniscule in comparison to the UK/EU. Increased competition will always drive prices down and Australia historically has only ever had a few airlines to choose from. Things are changing now but it has still got a long way to go but cost will never equal the UK's.
All the things you are complaining about you didn't research before coming?

I miss being able to hop on a cheap flight to Italy but I gained cheap flights to Asia, £30 or £100, it is not a huge difference given it is not something done every week.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
Not at all oversold.

It's a fabulous place to live and raise children. But it isn't the land of milk and honey - which is how a fair few immigrants view it and then end up shocked that it is just a normal country with all of the social and economic woes in most other 1st world countries.

This board is very negative at the moment. Ebbs and flows. Next week the majority of posters will be positive.
I reckon since General G went back to work, and Lt Flea returned there is not much negativity at all compared to how it had been. Infact, the forum is quite stable...

I have held jobs in Australia paying much higher than I ever earned in London. I am in IT. I have walked away from jobs purely because I did not like the role. You can't base your entire life decisions around money. It would be quite sad to do so.
I am well paid in Australia for what I do. I could earn more in London but I would need to, to finance the house. So I am better off here. Infact moving to Australia bought me about 5-10 years just when I want to raise a family.
We were lucky to get here and establish before some of the increases and the slowdown..
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:33 am
Account Closed

All the things you are complaining about you didn't research before coming?

I miss being able to hop on a cheap flight to Italy but I gained cheap flights to Asia, £30 or £100, it is not a huge difference given it is not something done every week.
I'm not complaining about it, it doesn't really bother me. If I want to go somewhere I will just go. I am however pointing it out as it does affect many people, especially those with families. It's one thing doing it for yourself, but quite another if say you have a family of 4.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I'm not complaining about it, it doesn't really bother me. If I want to go somewhere I will just go. I am however pointing it out as it does affect many people, especially those with families. It's one thing doing it for yourself, but quite another if say you have a family of 4.
Moving country is not something to be taken lightly. Some people perhaps based their decision on watching a few New Life Downunder type programs on TV.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I am well paid in Australia for what I do. I could earn more in London.
Are you sure?
The outlook for jobs in the UK is bleaker now than it was in the 1990s recession and more like the "deep" recession of the 1980s, the TUC says. The unemployment rate increased by 30% in the first 12 months of the current recession, compared with 22% in the 1990s and 29% in the 1980s, it says. Unemployment rose to a 12-year high of 2.261 million in April.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8114012.stm
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Are you sure?
The outlook for jobs in the UK is bleaker now than it was in the 1990s recession and more like the "deep" recession of the 1980s, the TUC says. The unemployment rate increased by 30% in the first 12 months of the current recession, compared with 22% in the 1990s and 29% in the 1980s, it says. Unemployment rose to a 12-year high of 2.261 million in April.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8114012.stm
"May 12 2009 - The unemployment rate rose to 7.1% - up 0.8% over the quarter and 1.8% on last year. 29.2 million people were in work in the period January to March according to the labour force survey (LFS). The number of people employed was down by 157,000 this quarter and down by 295,000 on the last year."

www.hrmguide.co.uk/jobmarket/unemployment.htm

What you have to have a look at also are the sectors that are being hit the hardest by unemployment. IT and many professional occupations haven't really been hit that hard. The majority of unemployment is in the unskilled worker sector and that is where the majority of redundancies have come from.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 23rd 2009 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Absolutely not a good value proposition - no. We're returning at the earliest opportunity and advise everyone else to do likewise.
Completely agree! Sadly we are "stuck" here til 2011.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:14 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Hutch surely if you moved back you would be closer to your in laws?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:58 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Still wasn't as cheap and easy as people make out.

£20 flight to Nice was actually near £100 by the time taxes and return trip were added.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hutch surely if you moved back you would be closer to your in laws?

Less likely to be lumbered with them for weeks at a time though
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

I think the budget prices are pretty good. Prices will never be as low as UK because of the distances involved.

Air Asia: Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur $199.
Tiger: Perth - Bangkok - $190.
Viva Macau: Sydney - Macau - $343.
I wonder how that compares to London to Bangkok, or London to Kuala Lumpur ?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

That all depends on the circles you mix with. I think whether being single/attached or married also has something to do with it.

From my point of view while living in London, I would regulary (once or twice a month) take a long weekend and head to the continent on the Easyjet/Ryanair specials, and so did the people that I knew/my social circle and people I worked with. And this was even more frequent in the winter.

I think the group that doesn't take advantage of proximity to the EU are the ones that primarily have family commitments.
I'd go along with that.Personally during my final eighteen months in London would travel to Paris for a long weekend once a month,having a girlfriend there.
Every three months roughly would take a week to ten days in another destination within Europe.
Must say never seemed in any way unusual as many folk i knew especially from the early 90s appeared to prefer the shorter stints away than the longer four or five weeks in one hit hence would go regualar,no big deal prices being cheap.
We put a lot of onus on travel, perhaps the country folks lived in big houses(paying off) or something similar that absorbed their money ?Don't know but still had the odd weekend away in Norfolk or Sussex as well.
Saying that do go abroad once a year from Oz even if only to Asia but try to get to Europe at least every four years,sometimes not to Britain.
Probably say do find it easier out here with regards to money as do not spend anywhere near as much.
Not that it is so much cheaper perhaps,although is certainly so compared to London,not paying rent and buying when property was cheap was the clencher to a more relaxed way of living.
I would think Australia is perhaps over sold but that is the nature of successful advertising..for now the Brand sells well.Surely that applies to most brands on the market?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Coppock
BUT the radio said the average oz wage was about $1000AUD per month? I'm not sure how true that is or was, but I worked it out at about £700pm on the exchange rate at the time.
Which radio station said that ?

Average Wages February 2009

Male Full Time Total Earnings $1,328.10 per week ($69,061 pa)
Female Full Time Total Earnings $1,063.80 per week ($55,317 pa)

Unemployment benefit itself is between $982 and $1,062 per month for a single person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.