Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by Olibeneli

been to three museums within 1 hour drive of home

been across the Pennines 1st time ever - wonderous scenery

Now - I'd say that is pretty varied culturally and I'd never have so many options so easily available so cheaply to me in the Illawarra.
Tsk, I live in a tiny little place near the sea with a lovely beach 5 minutes drive away (18 months on, I still catch my breath every time I drive over the bridge to the island!) have the most incredible Glasshouse Mountains 30 minutes away and go past 3 museums on the way to the shops!

I could have given you more examples of my culturally diverse life but I have a feeling you don't really care
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Tsk, I live in a tiny little place near the sea with a lovely beach 5 minutes drive away (18 months on, I still catch my breath every time I drive over the bridge to the island!) have the most incredible Glasshouse Mountains 30 minutes away and go past 3 museums on the way to the shops!

I could have given you more examples of my culturally diverse life but I have a feeling you don't really care
What's your definition of culture?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:48 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
What's your definition of culture?
Something you find in a yoghurt?

I responded to specific items of a 'culturally rich' life as given in the post I replied to.

For me, culture is about much more than 'things', its about sharing life experiences of those around you, absorbing the way of life in the area in which you live, its an intangible phenomenon which is different for all - I don't think there's any country in the world which isn't rich in its own culture.

What's yours?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Perhaps you can replace "not become bored" with "spend time on BE posting arguments".

In 6 months I have:
read the daily mail a few times
also read the FT many times
been to see Jools Holland & his R&B Band in open air concert - with no rain
flew to Dusseldorf & 5 * hotel for £150
seen Pink
seen AC/DC twice
been to three museums within 1 hour drive of home
been to a battle of britain air show
been to belgium
been across the Pennines 1st time ever - wonderous scenery
stayed in 5 different 5* hotels around the UK
been to football play-off finals at wembley
had 5 BBQs.....and it did not rain
been to someones big fat greek wedding
this weekend go to see a very good local band invited for a 40th birthday party
and in 6 weeks go touring the Chianti region of Italy

Now - I'd say that is pretty varied culturally and I'd never have so many options so easily available so cheaply to me in the Illawarra.

Heck - even ACDC tickets in Sydney are loads more $$$ than £££, so there's a rip off for some reason.
Thanks for bringing back some memories of how life was\is elsewhere, perhaps remind some of the folk living out here the diverse choice of possibilities there..leave Aussie for dead almost every time..
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
Wanted Down Under is rubbish, comments are edited and I bet the Australian government pays for it or puts some money into it. They show all the problems, showing it isn't suitable and they aren't sure but at the end, hay-presto, everyone loves it and wants to move. It is to a degree fixed and NO-ONE should take that programme for the 100% truth.
That should go without saying...but may require underlining...
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Something you find in a yoghurt?

I responded to specific items of a 'culturally rich' life as given in the post I replied to.

For me, culture is about much more than 'things', its about sharing life experiences of those around you, absorbing the way of life in the area in which you live, its an intangible phenomenon which is different for all - I don't think there's any country in the world which isn't rich in its own culture.

What's yours?
The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by danjones1
Australia is great for holidaying, even one year working visa, but apart from the climate is it really worth moving the other side of the World just so you can be warm year round? (bearing in mind the huge problems Aus will have with global warming, droughts, 40s plus temps)

People who have low expectations of jobs, not into cultural things, non-university educated and who probably works in the trades, reads the Sun, smoke and drinks too much and typically holidays with other British people on the Costas will love Australia.

Those who do not fit the 'working class' stereotype outlined above will become very bored in a cultural wasteland after a while unless they have a lot of money to travel.
Yes certain folk would find the lack of stimulation difficult to bare but i have met working class types who think Australia is the dogs breakfast to put it very mildly and then others who appear to love it.( seems often to be the case of not getting on with Aussie equivalents very well)
A uni degree is neither here nor there these days and most certainly does not infer an appreciation for the higher cultural pursuits that post suggests.
More a question of background exposure when young which is often the domain of the wealthier(perhaps)having more money to indulge as well as sensibility but as in everything always exceptions .
People who rate the Arts as an extremely important fixture in their lives would find greater contentment in London,New York,Paris etc.
These would not form a particularly large segment perhaps and most others one feels may just about get away with what is on offer in Melbourne or Sydney.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the troubadour
A uni degree is neither here nor there these days and most certainly does not infer an appreciation for the higher cultural pursuits that post suggests.
Quite correct however a uni degree is generally associated with someone who is career motivated and upwardly mobile. Thus a larger economy will provide greater opportunites in the same way as a city will provide greater opportunities than a village.

People who rate the Arts as an extremely important fixture in their lives would find greater contentment in London,New York,Paris etc.
These would not form a particularly large segment perhaps and most others one feels may just about get away with what is on offer in Melbourne or Sydney.
And then there are also the people that are interested in history and archaeology, which is something I am absolutely fascinated with.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by balkanghost
As an Australian (living in Hungary) I am surprised at number of migrants going to Oz without even visiting, and often being drawn to the same places e.g. Perth and SE QLD?
I have stated the same thing,balkanghost,but as some commented that it would be too exspensive for a family to check it out and then go again to live or one doesn't get a real impression when on holiday are somewhat valid comments i guess.
Couldn't do it that way myself though.Hungary must be quite fun i expect?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
Pffft - Europe. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Have holidayed there, lived there and ultimately got over it. Most Europeans like the British less than your average Australian sports journalist. And when you see the British abroad, you can understand why.
Not necessary so,although quite possibly the case in the Costas don't have a lot of knowledge about those parts except for a week on the Costa Del Sol back in 01 and missed the really late night antics but can imagine.....And some of the Greek Islands from reports(not been there in decades)but there it is not only Brits playing up...
Having lived and worked in Northern European countries there was no dislike what so ever expressed in fact often the reverse people would say how much they loved going to England(often meaning London and evirons)or how they enjoyed their English class in Bournmouth or where ever else they attended....
Even in France did not find a real dislike but at times a complete disinterest thinking unworthy of giving any great consideration to and yes some there had the impression it was boring.
Found the younger at the time into the music and those in the know the London clubs.....freedom and best street cred in Europe were some comments can recall from the time.

In Germany for the last World Cup met many Germans in awe of English fans and football in general certainly not the signs of a disliked people.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:27 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't enjoy my year of roaming about Europe as much as the USA. To my eye there was far too much dead and buried culture. The place has been so extensively trampled by peoples of so many cultures that it is difficult to see anything natural.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caliburn
Before I got my PR early this year, Australia was the only country I ever wanted to settle in. Now that I have validated my visa recently and have a cooler head to think about things, I am becoming increasingly unsure about the move.

I have been living in the Middle East for sometime now. Also spent a couple of years in Sydney as a student at some point and lived in several other countries as well. After all these, now, I'm looking for a place to call home, somewhat like your international school acquiantances longing for next posting. Should it be Australia? Well, may be.... may be not.... I'm not yet sure....
Quite possibly you will never know for sure..seems to be the nature of the game of moving,more so perhaps if no anchor as in kids for example.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I didn't enjoy my year of roaming about Europe as much as the USA. To my eye there was far too much dead and buried culture. The place has been so extensively trampled by peoples of so many cultures that it is difficult to see anything natural.
Never been to USA but that sounds a fair point although it may come as a surprise to some the number of places of beauty and interest one can go in Europe away from the hordes.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I worked in the arts/cultural development in Bristol. Melbourne, of course, knocks spots of mostly anything we tried to achieve. However, I'm sure that if I'd had a similar post in London, the story would be different. However, luckily that means I'm am very satisfied with what's on offer
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by qld
It is the safest country in the southern hemisphere

You mention racism but what are the alternatives?

South Africa under black rule is a racist disaster.

New Zealand has huge problems with half its crime being committed by Maori, Tongans and Samoans.
Rape, Assault and Child Abuse some of the highest rates of the first world.

UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and Australia are the main English speaking countries.

USA has huge problems with race problems whether black, Mexican or whatever.

Canada is going to be as bad. They let in huge numbers of migrants from all the worst places in the world. Only because Canada is such a wealthy country it has not exploded.

South Africa is not a good country.

Which leaves you Australia.

Australia is warmer and slightly better than these other countries.

UK is a racist country against white people.

Racism huh.

You must be Aboriginal to apply for this job...

What other good countries speak english and let any brit in?

Hong Kong? Singapore?
One suggestion comes to mind,mind being the operative word here in the sense of opening, why not learn another language that will open new doors to settlement opportunities, there by not limiting oneself to the least of a bad bunch in this case being Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.