Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by brucekaren
C'mon folks!! You need to this idea out of your head by always converting AUD$ to UK£. If your living in OZ, just work in $$$'s.
That's all well and good if you derive income solely from Aus and you never plan on setting foot or buying goods from outside of the country.

You have to realise that we live in a global economy, not a national one and what happens in other parts of the world IS going to affect us. I derive part of my income from Australia and part from the UK and it is relevant. Saying "stop converting pounds to dollars" is just ridiculous but if you want to stick your head in the sand...

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by northernlights
Sorry, I think you are bluffing on the price here. It must be a unit or retirement home, tiny duplex? I cannot think of ANYWHERE in Perth, 10 minutes walk to ocean, 15 minutes drive to City for $350K. Please tell me what suburb. as I don't believe you.
Ignorant t**t
Kallaroo 3 by 1 duplex not so tiny
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nessyp
Ignorant t**t
Kallaroo 3 by 1 duplex not so tiny
So, not a house then, a duplex, I guessed correctly.

Your duplex must be in the older part of Kallaroo, nearer Marmion Avenue. So tell me, how is that a 10 minute walk to the beach? I'd say North Shore is a10 minutes walk. Anyone dispute this?

It's misleading to say that you bought a 3 x 1, when in fact it was a duplex that would probably take AT LEAST 1/2 an hour to walk to the beach. Many UK people reading this forum will think they can buy a HOUSE for $350K in Perth, near the beach/city - not true. It's like saying you can get a rental for $200 a week by the beach, when in fact it's a granny flat on someone else's property.

You can bang on about how cheap property is here, pound for pound and all that. But, what I've noticed, from living in Perth for 8 years is that the new UK migrants are NOT generally buying in expensive suburbs like they used to. You know why? It's become too expensive and they can't afford it.

The ones who still chase the dream of living in a flash property are getting themselves mortgaged up to the hilt and are just existing on basics. I met a lady who has a $900 a week mortgage. Her husband is a copper, she worked part time in a bakers, they have 2 kids. That's *****ing insane but it's a story I'm hearing more and more often.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernlights
So, not a house then, a duplex, I guessed correctly.

Your duplex must be in the older part of Kallaroo, nearer Marmion Avenue. So tell me, how is that a 10 minute walk to the beach? I'd say North Shore is a10 minutes walk. Anyone dispute this?

It's misleading to say that you bought a 3 x 1, when in fact it was a duplex that would probably take AT LEAST 1/2 an hour to walk to the beach. Many UK people reading this forum will think they can buy a HOUSE for $350K in Perth, near the beach/city - not true. It's like saying you can get a rental for $200 a week by the beach, when in fact it's a granny flat on someone else's property.

You can bang on about how cheap property is here, pound for pound and all that. But, what I've noticed, from living in Perth for 8 years is that the new UK migrants are NOT generally buying in expensive suburbs like they used to. You know why? It's become too expensive and they can't afford it.

The ones who still chase the dream of living in a flash property are getting themselves mortgaged up to the hilt and are just existing on basics. I met a lady who has a $900 a week mortgage. Her husband is a copper, she worked part time in a bakers, they have 2 kids. That's *****ing insane but it's a story I'm hearing more and more often.
Coppers don't earn that much. They would have no money left to live on. How on Earth they even got that mortgage is beyond me.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deancm
That's all well and good if you derive income solely from Aus and you never plan on setting foot or buying goods from outside of the country.

You have to realise that we live in a global economy, not a national one and what happens in other parts of the world IS going to affect us. I derive part of my income from Australia and part from the UK and it is relevant. Saying "stop converting pounds to dollars" is just ridiculous but if you want to stick your head in the sand...

You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.
Certainly not being ignorant, Its called being realistic and living with your means based on outgoings and income earned in OZ. No need to look at it any other way. Your comment above is only relevent to you. If you choose to have your money sit in a UK bank and living partly off the interest, then thats your choice. There will be obvious tax and exchange implications which will impact on you personally. But not everyone is like you.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

We regularly walk to the beach, its 1.6km and takes 10-15mins.
I feel what we have recently bought is an absolute bargain.
What does it matter if its a duplex, we love the house. As I stated before 3 by 1 15 mins to the city (freeway) and 10 mins to beach, im not missleading anyone.
I dont like having the piss ripped out of me and being called a liah either.
If you aint got anything decent to say dont say anything
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brucekaren
Certainly not being ignorant, Its called being realistic and living with your means based on outgoings and income earned in OZ. No need to look at it any other way. Your comment above is only relevent to you. If you choose to have your money sit in a UK bank and living partly off the interest, then thats your choice. There will be obvious tax and exchange implications which will impact on you personally. But not everyone is like you.
My comment is relevant to anyone that plans to step foot outside of Australia or the UK, purchase goods from overseas or receive any form of overseas income.

Where did I say I choose to have money in a UK bank and live partly of interest? Banks don't pay enough interest. I said a UK income, not a dribble.

Ignoring the global currencies and exchange rates is just ignorant because not knowing how the Aussie dollar relates to the UK pound just makes you feel better but doesn't change the fact that Australia is bloody expensive compared to the UK.

Last edited by Deancm; Jul 14th 2009 at 11:13 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nessyp
We regularly walk to the beach, its 1.6km and takes 10-15mins.
I feel what we have recently bought is an absolute bargain.
What does it matter if its a duplex, we love the house. As I stated before 3 by 1 15 mins to the city (freeway) and 10 mins to beach, im not missleading anyone.
I dont like having the piss ripped out of me and being called a liah either.
If you aint got anything decent to say dont say anything
A duplex is not a house. It like calling an apartment a house. You may live in all of them but they are different.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

It's should not be a focus on so much UK v's Australia, but the true fufillment, is not where you are - but the people you are with and how you interact with them perhaps???

Immm,
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:18 pm
ABCDiamond

A duplex is not a house. It like calling an apartment a house. You may live in all of them but they are different.
It always was when I was in the UK. A duplex is a semi detached house.

duplex house: a house with two units sharing a common wall
This is a duplex in Australia

Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

He has a point. I agree there are plenty of poms here living well beyond their means and trying to prove something to the people back in the UK whilst being crippled by exhorborant mortgages.
I chose a more modest property and to have some cash in the pocket. each to their own I suppose, but for me there's more to life than a flashy house.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:50 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 65 million
He has a point. I agree there are plenty of poms here living well beyond their means and trying to prove something to the people back in the UK whilst being crippled by exhorborant mortgages.
I chose a more modest property and to have some cash in the pocket. each to their own I suppose, but for me there's more to life than a flashy house.
Yes, definately
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It always was when I was in the UK. A duplex is a semi detached house.
We're in Australia. More commonly referred to as a townhouse

Yes, a townhouse. Duplex is a very American term.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in Australia. More commonly referred to as a townhouse

Yes, a townhouse. Duplex is a very American term.
so..... a type of house then?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
so..... a type of house then?
They're all types of house but by Australian defintions, a house is detached, a townhouse is semi-detached, then there's terrace house and apartments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.