Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:01 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by Deancm
From the same article:

"The term is used today in many languages to define one of the continents and is one of eight terrestrial ecozones.
As far as I know mainly by USAns and those who can not discern the difference between soccer and real football.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Pffft - Europe. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Have holidayed there, lived there and ultimately got over it. Most Europeans like the British less than your average Australian sports journalist. And when you see the British abroad, you can understand why.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Pffft - Europe. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Have holidayed there, lived there and ultimately got over it. Most Europeans like the British less than your average Australian sports journalist. And when you see the British abroad, you can understand why.
Don't lie. You know deep down you want to buy a one pound ticket to some random airport miles and miles away from the city you want to spend 24 hours in, only to find the flight is delayed due to weather so you spend the 24 hours in Luton Airport. Everyone does that, and then don't realise they won't be able to do it once they've moved 12,000 miles away. They just don't admit their foolishness (well not all of them anyway).
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Cool its been a while (few days ) since someone stirred up the forums with one of these posts.

Im going to side with agreeing its oversold, wether you like living here or not thats the question the OP asked.

Migration agents
State governments
Media
Seek.com

There all at it, were just lured here to "strengthen the economy" (quoted from my sponsors in the ACT government)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:23 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
You're quite correct. Australia is a continent, however the limitiation of this is that it leaves a number of countries continent-less. When you include New Zealand, PNG and the Pacific Isles, this is know as Oceania which is also known as a continent, used in place of Australia. You are right in mentioning geopolitical purposes.
Oceania was never really a continent it was just a useful bucket. I'm not sure why a country has to belong to a continent. Europe's a funny continent anyway as it's boundary with Asia is a bit arbitrary. And although there are about 50 countries now, go back 100 years and there was a lot less. Some of those 50 countries are smaller and less populous than English counties. The states are more sovereign than English counties, they're more sovereign than the historic countries that make up the UK.

Not that it matters anyhow. It's still funny that one of the most quoted best points about the UK is that it's easy to leave and go somewhere more interesting.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:38 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Australia is great for holidaying, even one year working visa, but apart from the climate is it really worth moving the other side of the World just so you can be warm year round? (bearing in mind the huge problems Aus will have with global warming, droughts, 40s plus temps)

People who have low expectations of jobs, not into cultural things, non-university educated and who probably works in the trades, reads the Sun, smoke and drinks too much and typically holidays with other British people on the Costas will love Australia.

Those who do not fit the 'working class' stereotype outlined above will become very bored in a cultural wasteland after a while unless they have a lot of money to travel.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:42 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by danjones1
Australia is great for holidaying, even one year working visa, but apart from the climate is it really worth moving the other side of the World just so you can be warm year round? (bearing in mind the huge problems Aus will have with global warming, droughts, 40s plus temps)

People who have low expectations of jobs, not into cultural things, non-university educated and who probably works in the trades, reads the Sun, smoke and drinks too much and typically holidays with other British people on the Costas will love Australia.

Those who do not fit the 'working class' stereotype outlined above will become very bored in a cultural wasteland after a while unless they have a lot of money to travel.
Well said, if London is meant to be 40 degrees in the summer from 2080, what will Australia be?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:50 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Wow... I see these forums haven't changed. Talk about wrapping it up in one big juicy stereotype.

The fact that I love it here must mean I'm a real dropout!

(and by the way - i love culture, work in a great job, am postDOC educated, read the Townsville Bullsh*itten, and typically holiday in woop woop)

Oh - and hi to anyone who remembers me!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who was very ill every winter because of the cold and dark then yes the move is worthwhile. However everyone wants different things. We moved because we could, no overriding desire to leave the UK - love the place dearly and won't here a word against the country, we had no huge desire to move here, just thought we'd have a bit of a change. Our lives are brilliant here - as they were in the UK and I am generally well all year round. Hubby is earning much the same as he did before, I am working and loving it, our daughters are very happy and we get out and about just as much as we did before.

I can't be doing with generalisations about how anyone who has low expectations are the only people who will enjoy Aus or how intelligent, so called cultural people will be bored rigid. It's rubbish stereotyping.

If someone doesn't like a place then that's hard but it's generally for many many reasons. If they are happy it's not because they are lacking somehow. Just my opinion. I'm happy with my lot because I'm living my life as I wish with the people I love. The climate is a bonus for us.

Apparently the world is ending in 2012 so the climate in 2080 is kind of irrelevant
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:04 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Forget 2080 or 2012, have people already forgotten about the bush fires of the summer?

As for stereo-typing, we all do it, while it is a little unfair to generalise it is the best way of getting across a point about who will get on in Australia and who won't.

Australia will appeal to a certain type of person more than others. Why do you think so many people with a non-university education thrive in Australia?

The media in Australia is dominated by tabloid gutter press, cultural experiences revolve around getting drunk at barbies and going out for dinner usually means a trip to Hungry Jacks! Like I said, many Brits will thrive in this environment.

I make a bet that the majority that come home are those who are a little more cultured and miss the UK and Europe and the cultural diversity they offer.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Forget 2080 or 2012, have people already forgotten about the bush fires of the summer?

As for stereo-typing, we all do it, while it is a little unfair to generalise it is the best way of getting across a point about who will get on in Australia and who won't.

Australia will appeal to a certain type of person more than others. Why do you think so many people with a non-university education thrive in Australia?

The media in Australia is dominated by tabloid gutter press, cultural experiences revolve around getting drunk at barbies and going out for dinner usually means a trip to Hungry Jacks! Like I said, many Brits will thrive in this environment.

I make a bet that the majority that come home are those who are a little more cultured and miss the UK and Europe and the cultural diversity they offer.
It is makes you bitter then perhaps at least a trip back to the UK to refresh your memory is overdue.

I prefer my cultural diversity in Asia. Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Japan all do a lot more for me than tired Europe. But each to their own.

An MSc educated bogon loving Australia.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

You sound so right..... had it not been for its mineral resources, Australia would have been a third world country now.... especially with the productivity level and work attitudes of aussies.

Its definitely not the country for the ambitious and career-oriented types. The market is just too small and non-happening. I don't think the tertiary level education in Australia is top-class either, nowhere near tops institutions in the UK and US. Its surprising that the country is able to attract so many Asian students.... again, seems like an oversold country.

Australia does have a shortage of tradies and other technically skilled people and understandably, wages are higher in these areas. The more ambitious Australians usually leave the country.... and some tend to do quite well actually...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

I would just like to chime in with what the heck is a "USAns"?

Originally Posted by WillBlack
As far as I know mainly by USAns and those who can not discern the difference between soccer and real football.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:31 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by caliburn
You sound so right..... had it not been for its mineral resources, Australia would have been a third world country now.... especially with the productivity level and work attitudes of aussies.

Its definitely not the country for the ambitious and career-oriented types. The market is just too small and non-happening. I don't think the tertiary level education in Australia is top-class either, nowhere near tops institutions in the UK and US. Its surprising that the country is able to attract so many Asian students.... again, seems like an oversold country.

Australia does have a shortage of tradies and other technically skilled people and understandably, wages are higher in these areas. The more ambitious Australians usually leave the country.... and some tend to do quite well actually...
Another great post, really shows the truth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.