Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:43 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
The thing is, people look at what might happen and it rarely does, the lovely Edwina Curry said on the tomorrow's paper show on sky news a few months back that, if Greece will leave the Euro like was predicted, Spain and Italy will then need hundreds of Billions of euros bailouts and the Euro will collapse, this would cause contagion throughout the worlds countries economies and people's pensions will be wiped out and recession and mass unemployment will follow in most countries for years to come. People say things that get a sound bite reaction and the only problem with predictions is thats all they are, I like to see what happens, listening to doom and gloom predictions that might never happen is focussing on the negative and I am a positive person, so fingers crossed that any impact from the mining downturn will have only a minimal effect on the Australian economy.
I don't see how Edwina was wrong,yet.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:47 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I don't see how Edwina was wrong,yet.

Yer never know.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:21 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

so fingers crossed that any impact from the mining downturn will have only a minimal effect on the Australian economy.
The problem is that 25% of Australia's exports go to China, and about 60% of that is iron ore. In other words over 15% of Australia's economy just got slapped. What irritates me is that this was 100% predictable because the Chinese slowdown is planned, so I hope the Government has put a good plan in place to take up the slack.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zen10
The problem is that 25% of Australia's exports go to China, and about 60% of that is iron ore. In other words over 15% of Australia's economy just got slapped. What irritates me is that this was 100% predictable because the Chinese slowdown is planned, so I hope the Government has put a good plan in place to take up the slack.
Correcto, and coal is farked as well..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:37 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

From what I have heard the Australian government is useless, so it's likely they haven't.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:40 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I think I now want to apply for a Canadian visa after reading all this.

Abandon Australia!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:51 am
Banned

The title of the thread is Australia officially in recession? Well the correct answer is No' Recession is only official when a country has two consecutive quarterly minus growth figures, like we have had here in the UK again. The last I heard Australia was having growth of over 3% so that's a long way away from recession and will a collapse in the mining industry and housing market force Australia in to recession? It's highly unlikely, but who knows.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
I think I now want to apply for a Canadian visa after reading all this.

Abandon Australia!
I'm British and Canadian citizen, so if Aus fails, plan B is Canada..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:05 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I'm British and Canadian citizen, so if Aus fails, plan B is Canada..
Your problem there is how closely Canada is tied to the US economically, and the US is going into the crapper.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The title of the thread is Australia officially in recession? Well the correct answer is No' Recession is only official when a country has two consecutive quarterly minus growth figures, like we have had here in the UK again. The last I heard Australia was having growth of over 3% so that's a long way away from recession and will a collapse in the mining industry and housing market force Australia in to recession? It's highly unlikely, but who knows.
Hasn't Australia just had a quarter of negative growth?

Mining collapse will be catastrophic.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, the collapse in demand for iron has caused the (massive) bubble in iron ore prices to pop, sending the price from $187 to $90. It will continue to fall and to give you an idea of its final destination, in 2007 it was $34. Swiss investor Marc Faber has described iron as the fourth "mega bubble" in the past 40 years, along with gold in the 1970s, the Nikkei in the 1980s, and the Nasdaq in the 1990s.

This drop will feed into the mining industry over the next year or so, and then those on the high street will finally work out that the mining boom is over.
hubbly bubbly
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Hasn't Australia just had a quarter of negative growth?

Mining collapse will be catastrophic.
June quarter was 0.6%, making 3.7% overall growth last financial year. Mining isn't going to collapse. Certain sectors of it will contract, so there will not be a catastrophe, not from this direction at least.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your problem there is how closely Canada is tied to the US economically, and the US is going into the crapper.
But I won't be tied to a job that's tied to a temporary visa. That's my main worry..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:41 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

if worse comes to worst i'm going to find work in some of the asian countries.

if it gets really bad i'll move to NZ.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Youre totally overestimating the effect of the price shock. Look what we had with oil in late 2000s. Did Norway crash? Did Switzerland crash when global demand plummeted and no one bought their export watches any more? I dont think so. The Chinese steel production will pick back up and suck all the iron back in. We have massive emerging markets picking up the demand let down by old economies, there will be plenty of use for steel. Sure the transition wont be painless and it will be rocky because of the reckless monetary policies of US & EU but iron demand disappearing? Cmon that cant be anything more than a temporary shock, a scare "shockwave" that makes its way through the economy like the late 2000s commodity and stock index price shocks.

Last edited by nandnor; Sep 9th 2012 at 1:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.