Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:26 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine the average person in Australia would love to earn $70,000 but that isnt the reality though. The average UK male wage is around £30,000 so nowhere near 50pct less than Australia, it would be closer to 10% difference and for us at least food especially is way cheaper than 10% less. I have ALWAYS used 2:1 as an accurate exchange when moving between countries as I have generally earned $2 when I earned £1 and vice versa.
Of course there will be people saying they earn twice as much as they did or even 4 times what they did but you will also see others that earn less in Australia.
If the grocery price war has caused price deflation we werent seeing it in Brisbane, like most other we just saw food bills going up.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Probably a good idea from the average UK punters point of view... because at 69,170 average wage across the country, at current rates that would be 45,944 pounds, which I think most people in the UK would love to earn. Thats got to be 50pct more than the average UK wage hasn't it ? and prices aren't 50pct higher here.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:46 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

someone uses different exchange rates for different itmas, instead of using expense/income ratio.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:56 am
Daffyd Duck

i'm afraid your 2:1 dream rate is a bygone rate. it's more like 1.5:1 in the foreseable future. the UK will continue its austerity till 2020 as admitted by cameron and i doubt the bank of england will stop its quantitative easing anytime soon. and the euro is fooked up, i doubt the UK can easily recover without the eurozone buying stuff from the UK. if china goes bust it will get worse for everyone, not just oz.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:42 pm
Daffyd Duck

of course you brought your AUD to the UK. you have to thank the miners for the higher exchange rate
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The average UK male wage is around £30,000 so nowhere near 50pct less than Australia, it would be closer to 10% difference and for us at least food especially is way cheaper than 10% less.
But that ignores the massive tax breaks and non means-tested benefits that even the middle class gets in Australia...
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:31 pm
Banned

Massive tax breaks?

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
But that ignores the massive tax breaks and non means-ttested benefits that even the middle class gets in Australia...
Old Jul 21st 2012, 2:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

if you walk along the aisles of coles/woolies you will notice quite a number of items are cheaper than in 2009! and if you look at the 'specials' you can save further.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I would imagine the average person in Australia would love to earn $70,000 but that isnt the reality though. The average UK male wage is around £30,000 so nowhere near 50pct less than Australia, it would be closer to 10% difference and for us at least food especially is way cheaper than 10% less. I have ALWAYS used 2:1 as an accurate exchange when moving between countries as I have generally earned $2 when I earned £1 and vice versa.
Of course there will be people saying they earn twice as much as they did or even 4 times what they did but you will also see others that earn less in Australia.
If the grocery price war has caused price deflation we werent seeing it in Brisbane, like most other we just saw food bills going up.
Only UK average I can find is around GBP 26,000 which is the figure I'm running with. It always seems to work that more people earn less than the average wage... which is where Median comes in. According to this I understated the average Aus wage which is now 48,000 pounds at current exchange rates. Getting very close to that 50pct figure... more like 42 pct to be exact.

http://www.bigpondmoney.com.au/austr...s-1989-to-2009

The average Australian is now better off than anytime in living history.

If you want to compare Medians and include Parttime workers then the UK figure is circa 21,000 pounds (31,000 AUD) according to the official UK stats here...

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ashe/a...etin-2011.html

The Aus median including part time works is 54,000 Aud.... Circa 31,000 pounds.... As per the above Aus link.

Tried channeling ABCD but he must be asleep.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 21st 2012 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:46 pm
Banned

The average UK male wage is £30,000 and it is totally irrelevant to use todays exchange rate as it doesnt affect the wage in either country. The median wage in Australia is apparently $44,000, half of all employees earn less than that amount.
Really it makes no difference to me, whatever helps you sleep at night and makes you feel better.
All I can say is that since being back lots of things seem cheaper and many significantly so, of course other things are more expensive.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Only UK average I can find is around GBP 26,000 which is the figure I'm running with. It always seems to work that more people earn less than the average wage... which is where Median comes in. According to this I understated the average Aus wage which is now 48,000 pounds at current exchange rates. Getting very close to that 50pct figure... more like 42 pct to be exact.

http://www.bigpondmoney.com.au/austr...s-1989-to-2009

The average Australian is now better off than anytime in living history.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The average UK male wage is £30,000 and it is totally irrelevant to use todays exchange rate as it doesnt affect the wage in either country. The median wage in Australia is apparently $44,000, half of all employees earn less than that amount.
Really it makes no difference to me, whatever helps you sleep at night and makes you feel better.
All I can say is that since being back lots of things seem cheaper and many significantly so, of course other things are more expensive.
Not according to Government figures... where you pulling that 30k figure from ?

I dare say if I were to travel to the UK with the spending power Australians have at present... we would feel like the Arabs used to when they first became cashed up.

Of course it will change... but right now at this point in time, Australians as a whole have never been better of relative to the rest of the world.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 21st 2012 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:03 pm
Banned

It was an official figure I saw this morning, the average of women and men is £26,000 but its possibly as relevant as the near $70,000 for the average Aussie though
The thing is we dont have the spending power of an Aussie, we are living here and finding it cheap. A visitor with the spending power of an Aussie would find it just as cheap I suspect.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I've been back in the UK over a year now and have tracked my living costs, which includes purchase of some one off items similar to that I bought in Oz. My living costs now run at 63%, using the exchange rate of the day, from my last year in Oz. Both places I am mortgage free, so that doesn't distort the annual expenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.