Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Thank you, I must admit I haven't done an indepth analysis but that is probably pretty close for us as well. We are mortgage free here in the UK whereas we had a small mortgage in Australia but our day to day expenses are generally less.

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I've been back in the UK over a year now and have tracked my living costs, which includes purchase of some one off items similar to that I bought in Oz. My living costs now run at 63%, using the exchange rate of the day, from my last year in Oz. Both places I am mortgage free, so that doesn't distort the annual expenses.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 9:58 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not according to Government figures... where you pulling that 30k figure from ?

I dare say if I were to travel to the UK with the spending power Australians have at present... we would feel like the Arabs used to when they first became cashed up.

Of course it will change... but right now at this point in time, Australians as a whole have never been better of relative to the rest of the world.
True, but what is slightly unedifying is watching Swan parading about like he is some kind of wunderkind who has planned all this out. Seems to me that there wasn't much skill in waking up on a pile of resources and selling them to a booming dictatorship, and not taxing the people who did it. The only planning seems to be in allowing the sector to grow to nearly a quarter of the economy, which is going to bring a hell of a lot of pain now China is finally crashing.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 11:33 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

China is finally crashing? what a joke. sounds like something you are hoping to happen.

no China is not crashing. a 7.5% growth is not a crash. and Africa has more mineral resources than Oz and I cannot see them having a quality of life anywhere near us. you're talking as if it's easy to dig the soil and picking up the gold. apparently you have no idea how geoscience works.

Last edited by commonwealth; Jul 21st 2012 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:55 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
China is finally crashing? what a joke. sounds like something you are hoping to happen.

no China is not crashing. a 7.5% growth is not a crash. and Africa has more mineral resources than Oz and I cannot see them having a quality of life anywhere near us. you're talking as if it's easy to dig the soil and picking up the gold. apparently you have no idea how geoscience works.
You need to brush up on China. Decade-long construction boom is finished, steel companies are slashing 2012 profit projections by half, massive unsold real estate inventories building up, overall growth down 2% on 2Q 2011 and the quality and sustainability of the growth is questionable.

Geoscience is totally subordinate to geopolitics and economics, and Africa isn't a country so the comparison is absurd.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:45 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

western australia is not a country my point is, it's not enough to have the resources - you need to find it and dig it. it's not as easy as you think.

and dont underestimate the hidden powers of the chinese, they've parked their money somewhere in london a 7.5% actual growth is hardly a 'crash landing'

Last edited by commonwealth; Jul 22nd 2012 at 1:47 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:44 am
Daffyd Duck

and are you questioning the wisdom of the investors who are pouring in half a trillion dollars into australia's resource industry? that's a huge pipeline of investments that will be worthless if china disappears. obviously the skeptics will think china will disappear from the face of the earth, erasing 1/6 of the world population.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
inow China is finally crashing.
So why is China just about to relax the one child policy?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Ponzi
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Progress ?

Originally Posted by lesleys
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:27 pm
Banned

and are you questioning the wisdom of the investors who are pouring in half a trillion dollars into australia's resource industry? that's a huge pipeline of investments that will be worthless if china disappears. obviously the skeptics will think china will disappear from the face of the earth, erasing 1/6 of the world population.
China's not going anywhere, but China has a lot of internal problems to deal with, and collapsing demand from the West (especially basketcase EU) for its products couldn't come at a worse time. I'm not predicting the end of the world, just that Australia could go into recession in the next 18 months for the reasons I say - too big a mining sector and a rapidly decelerating China.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:05 pm
Daffyd Duck

i bet otherwise. there will be no recession in australia in the next 2 years.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:42 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

If China crashes Australia will collapse quicker than shit through a goose

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:37 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by lumpommer
If China crashes Australia will collapse quicker than shit through a goose

If China crashes the World will collapse quicker than shit through a goose
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If China crashes the World will collapse quicker than shit through a goose
If the world and particuarly Europe recovers then Aus will benefit once more. Big If re Europe though.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed re North Korea coming back into the real world. I predicted it would take less than 15 years 3 years back when the crisis was on. I reckon thats still on target.

Imagine how much infrastructure the Korean will sbuild, when the aid from China and SK starts to roll in. Then there's India.

This boom has got legs in it yet... and not just from China.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 22nd 2012 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:02 pm
Banned

i bet otherwise. there will be no recession in australia in the next 2 years.
I'm not so sure. I would rather put it like this. Australia has already seen economic slowdown, and this will continue and there could be more serious contraction. Technical recession is harder to predict, but it will come eventually.

I agree with ozzieeagle about potential in places like India and also Indonesia of course, both of which could benefit Aus a lot. So there is more out there than just China, which certainly is in a lot more trouble than it lets on to the wider world but can other places raise the level of demand currently taken by China?

I'm not so confident about EU. My understanding is that it's really looking into an economic abyss. Sicily's basketcase economy is about to accelerate Italy's decline, and now we're back into the game of dominoes - Greece knocks over Italy, knocks of Spain, etc. Germany can't prop all this mess up. Roubini is even predicting that the UK is going to leave the EU within three years!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.