Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia & NZ Travel Bubble

Australia & NZ Travel Bubble

Old Apr 7th 2021, 3:23 am
Just Joined

cm1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Australia & NZ Travel Bubble

Hey all, first time posting here. As you may have seen on the news there is a new Australian and New Zealand travel bubble. The airfares seem to have gone up three times as much but I was still wanting to get across to Australia if possible with my partner and 2 kids. I wanted to go somewhere more inland to save money and see forests and animals if possible.

I have narrowed it down to two places: Atherton Tablelands or the Daintree Rainforest.

Has anyone any more recommendations or experience? Any expats around there?

Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Australia & NZ Travel Bubble

Originally Posted by cm1223
Hey all, first time posting here. As you may have seen on the news there is a new Australian and New Zealand travel bubble. The airfares seem to have gone up three times as much but I was still wanting to get across to Australia if possible with my partner and 2 kids. I wanted to go somewhere more inland to save money and see forests and animals if possible.

I have narrowed it down to two places: Atherton Tablelands or the Daintree Rainforest.

Has anyone any more recommendations or experience? Any expats around there?
Ask in the Oz forum.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Sure, will do. Thanks.

Just thought it may be nice to connect with expats here.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 5:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, will do. Thanks.

Just thought it may be nice to connect with expats here.
I don’t even know how you managed to post in that section, it’s long obsolete so you won’t be connecting with anybody there!

So I’ve moved your thread to the Oz forum for you.

HTH and welcome to BE.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you! Apologies.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 6:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Apologies.
Nothing to apologise for! I didn’t even know the old usenet section could still be accessed, but it’s no worries. You’re in the right place now, the good folks in Australia will be able to help I’m sure.

Old Apr 8th 2021, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I expect accommodation will most likely be at premium prices in order to claw back some of the losses. T would say combine Atherton will at least a few days at one of the northern beaches. Palm Cove for example. Do the drive to Port Douglas. (easy day return) Obviously you'll most likely want to spend time on the reef.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You're brave looking at booking a holiday with this bubble. As I'm sure you know, most Australian states (Qld for sure!) and probably New Zealand will close their borders at the slightest hint of COVID.

I went to the Gold Coast (from Melbourne) over Easter weekend...of course early in that week a few cases popped up in Brisbane and the city was locked down. Victoria designated it a red zone meaning any travel from there required 14 day quarantine. So the week leading up to Easter was basically stress waiting to see if the issue would spread to the Gold Coast / the GC would be rezoned. In the end we went ahead and got rained on for 3 days!

Anyway, not sure about the Atherton tablelands...I can't help but think the more coastal rainforest scenery would be more dramatic. I suppose accommodation is probably more limited toward the Daintree. You could also look south of Cairns...areas around Mission Beach. You could possibly base yourself in a cheaper location if accomm is a problem. There are definitely national parks and other walking trails in that area...we never had any issue finding cassowarys!
Old Apr 9th 2021, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The NZ ski deals are super cheap. I have emailed a bunch of vendors to find out of they offer a full "Jacinda knee jerk Covid shut out" refund. 2 responded with a no and 1 responded offering an 85% refund with the remaining 15% put towards a future NZ ski holiday. I will pass on that NZ isn't really much chop when it comes to skiing so once the rest of the world is open skiing will be done in far better places.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Beoz
The NZ ski deals are super cheap. I have emailed a bunch of vendors to find out of they offer a full "Jacinda knee jerk Covid shut out" refund. 2 responded with a no and 1 responded offering an 85% refund with the remaining 15% put towards a future NZ ski holiday. I will pass on that NZ isn't really much chop when it comes to skiing so once the rest of the world is open skiing will be done in far better places.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Let's hope the NZ ski industry find a way to edge out another year.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd have thought a visit to pay homage to a great leader, with thoughts of what Australia could have been, would override any faux bourgeoise concerns with regards to type of snow?
Old Apr 10th 2021, 1:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure many people were left out of pocket when NSW govt pulled the plug on Bluesfest with zero notice due to a single case in Byron Bay.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm sure many people were left out of pocket when NSW govt pulled the plug on Bluesfest with zero notice due to a single case in Byron Bay.
Yep .... idiots ..... why do people from the Gold Coast need to go to Byron anyway. I am told they have it all there.

Have you found me any fully refundable ski holidays to NZ yet?