Reload this Page >

Australia now an "angry nation"

Wikiposts

Australia now an "angry nation"

Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:55 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by SeanH
This is pretty sad imo.

That isn't lying - it is asking the wrong people the wrong questions.

You surely have never lived - if you have never asked government or council officials questions and got totally different answers in England.

You really do need to get out a bit more.

Try migrating to America and see how no-one will give you the same answer to anything ...

That is not a national trait anymore than never washing and having appaling teeth is a British trait.

Give us a break.

~Sean

Sean - I must be thick (despite having an IQ of over 130), because I need you to explain to why asking a person at the Australian Department of Immigration for details relating to emigrating to Australia who's job is to answer these questions is "asking the wrong people the wrong questions"?

Another widely publicised Australian lie: "Canberra is half way inbetween Melbourne and Sydney". You try driving it!

By the way Sean are you in fact another one of these loser white Australians who cannot get a job in their home town and so has emigrated overseas?

In which case why are you subscribing to a British Expat forum?

Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default sport

i would just like to say.......
Born in aus,raised in uk.
Sport in general within the uk is crap, this is not because of a lack of athletes or enthusiasm, i believe it is because of the backbone of our sport.
We appear to be a nation of " the underdog" and there simply isn't enough money put into the development and resources for our youth to develop thier skills.
Other countries plough huge amounts of money into sport and i believe it is in this area that the uk is found wanting.

I said generally at the top and i mean just that, we have outstanding individuals in the world of sport and dedicated teams ( certain football players, Rugby , cycling as mentioned above and occasional track and field ( who can forget daley thompson ???? ))

My point being, without knowing the individual nations approach to sport it is unfare to claim a nation as a whole is crap, for the resources available in the uk i for one am damned proud of what our athletes achieve.

Paul
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

By the way Sean are you in fact another one of these loser white Australians who cannot get a job in their home town and so has emigrated overseas?
Does anyone else see the irony in this statement?
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Does anyone else see the irony in this statement?
Yes.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Modigliana
Yes.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:13 am
WBB

that guy is a tosser, he is here to wind up other users.

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
I get trolley rage all the time. Not actual rage anybody else would notice - I keep it internalised! But underneath I'm swearing and cursing and knocking that old lady (who incidentyally, is taking far too long to choose her baked beans anyway) out of my way!

Seriously, I really do think my local tescos needs traffic lights. Some people just don't know how to handle their trolleys at all. I mean double/triple parking, dangerous overtaking, tailgating grrrrrrr

Drives me nuts.
All YES ALL aisles should be one way
Does forum or postings rage count
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Gawd what a thread. I have never seen any rage in the supermarket here, but the carparks a different thing. Up here on the sunny coast I have seen punchups in the carpark often in the long hot Christmas Holidays. We totally avoid the shops, theres one small major centre and the traffic is bunged up for miles to get there, then theres never any parks, if someone leaves, about 5 cars will start queing up for one spot, usually resulting in foul mouthing and sometimes fists.

Trolley damage to cars is awful as you dont have to refund your trolley, people just ram it into the nearest spot usually someones car.

All these threads about anger, think people are the same as anywhere, some mental some calm, but one thing I do know is as the temps rise here so do the tempers, Hot and bothered is def a factor here. Going troppo has meaning.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: sport

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
simply isn't enough money put into the development and resources for our youth to develop thier skills.
Other countries plough huge amounts of money into sport and i believe it is in this area that the uk is found wanting.

Paul
This is the big difference and I quite agree on your point of this. The amount money which goes into sport here is tremendous.. The institute of sport is like some kind of Mafia.

British sport has been under funded for many years. Last Olympics , correct me if I'm wrong they (the Brits) did better than previous years.. why? funding from the lottery.

I also must disagree with Britain is cr*p at sport.. it just seems that way. Here In Aus they only report on their wins.. you can almost put your bottom dollar on if the news doesn't mentioned who won - it is a Brit that has won. Britian tends to be very self critical (well British media) .. where Aus media praises up all things Australian, Britian will attack it's own people.

You may want look at the GP's .. for British, or doesn't that fall under sport. Since the Aussies haven't been doing well in this... no reports. Last time I looked it's a Brit who is world champion (Hodgson) . Also take a look at track and field records... Australia is way behind Britain in this (bar freeman.. and bought in in Russians).

If the Aussies want to go on population to measure their sport try the rugby ... N.Zealand what are they 7 mill or something (??) competing against 20 million. N.Zealnd have a far better record in Rugby (you may want to look at the Bledisloe cup)

Money is everything when it comes to sport.. if it wasn't .. top sports nations would include India, Indonesia (India and Indonesia come nowhere) .. want to talk about population try 2.9 million to win medals in track events (Wales). Try a nation of 9 mill against almost 50 mill.

Population dose not cut it with me.. it's the money that people spend on sport... And Australia spends big bucks.

Also like I mentioned .. Australia only reports on it's wins in any sport.. they never report on it's losses (it usually gets mentioned at the bottom of the news )

The swimming is a fine example.. yes they good at swimming, but did they report on the sprint swim ... The Brit who holds the world record.. not on your Nelly. They have a inferior complex.

You ought to listen to these commentators here the weekend (Wales V N.Zealand).. my they were shocked. Wales did not even warrant a mention in previous weeks.. then all of a sudden they left with their mouths wide open... when a little nation looked as if they were going to cause an upset (leading at half time .. and they only beat us by 16 points, one of the tries should not have been a try... forward pass) .

The papers are full of "Arrogant England" .. s*it a little nation (Ireland) nearly beat their "great" Wallabies ... and in my opinion they should have won it (One point in it)

when it comes to sport the Aussies only report on the wins.. their losses are hidden away at the bottom of the news. Brits are self critics

Cheers
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

From this Saturday's paper 1st November:

"Log on to happiness.com. Almost 700 Australians have logged onto the internet to have their say on whether the happy-go-lucky Aussie is a dying breed. Organised by WA group OzSurveys.com, the national poll was launched two weeks ago to guage Australians' happiness. Spokesman Richard Calautti said the survey had generated interesting results. The survey asks 20 multiple choice questions that focus on retirement, depression, government, the future and happiness."

It doesn't go on to say what exactly is meant by "interesting results" but my guess is that most Aussie people are just as happy/unhappy as the rest of us.

There are many more sporting activities here than I can recall seeing in the UK, for kids and adults. Everyone I know seems to be in a netball/basketball/football team or whatever. Even I've taken up jogging for the first time in my life, I guess it does help that the weather is better for it. My kids are only involved in swimming and running at the moment, but that will probably change as they get older and go through high school. It's already bad enough getting them to swimming on time straight after school, and with three kids, I just know they are not all going to choose the same sports to participate in, only a matter of time before I'm driving them here, there and everywhere.

There's been discussion in the media lately to extend the school hours so that all children get a good dose of physical exercise every day. Guess that would go down well with working mums, but not the teachers. Not sure how all the extra-curricular activities would fare though if the school day was extended to 5pm, unless the clubs were run from school instead.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Newspapers sensationalize a lot of issues/events/topics as we all know but I think it happens to a greater extent in Australia simply because there's really nothing to report.

So when something does come up, a possible cure for cancer, a car accident, or even a survey result, it becomes "news". And that bit of Australian news also becomes news for other countries.

It could also explain why half of what we view is news from other countries, particularly the U.S.

But I have to laugh sometimes when I watch the late night news and at the end, they show a snippet of a mother organizing an art class, or a new animal arriving at the zoo.

It's hilarious how we have nothing to report, so we fill in the last few minutes with the most mundane of stories.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Um...England has the Sun, The Mirror and the News of the World - and yet it is Australian newspapers who sensationalise the news ??? That is an interesting concept.

Australia has no newspaper like the Sun - who have page 3 girls - what there is no news to put on page 3 ???

Everywhere I have seen television news - the last spot is always a nice human interest story - it is hardly an Australian thing.

~Sean

Originally posted by Andiii
Newspapers sensationalize a lot of issues/events/topics as we all know but I think it happens to a greater extent in Australia simply because there's really nothing to report.

So when something does come up, a possible cure for cancer, a car accident, or even a survey result, it becomes "news". And that bit of Australian news also becomes news for other countries.

It could also explain why half of what we view is news from other countries, particularly the U.S.

But I have to laugh sometimes when I watch the late night news and at the end, they show a snippet of a mother organizing an art class, or a new animal arriving at the zoo.

It's hilarious how we have nothing to report, so we fill in the last few minutes with the most mundane of stories.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: sport

Hodgson is world champion in GP's ?
What GP's are you talking about here.?

And no - (if an Australian does not win) - you cannot put your bottom dollar on it being an Englishman winning it - that is simply not the case.

Of course money is important - but you still need to have talent - money will not buy you sport champions.

And England has NO current world champions in Athletics - which is less than the 1 that Australia has.

And recently Australia has a way better record than New Zealand in Rugby - but apart from Rugby New Zealand has absolutely nothing to even compete with Australia in any other sport you can possibly mention ( Though NZ is the current world champions in Netball to be fair ).

When the only sport you can mention that shows that English sport is not pathetic is sprint swimming - you know that it really must be pathetic.

What about...
Cricket
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Netball
Basketball
Swimming
Athletics
Tennis
Surfing
Golf
Hockey

And what about Soccer.?
If money was the be all and end all - why has England got as many world championships in soccer since 1966 as Australia - that would be none. And you could hardly say that soccer is not flush with money.

~Sean

Originally posted by Ceri
This is the big difference and I quite agree on your point of this. The amount money which goes into sport here is tremendous.. The institute of sport is like some kind of Mafia.

British sport has been under funded for many years. Last Olympics , correct me if I'm wrong they (the Brits) did better than previous years.. why? funding from the lottery.

I also must disagree with Britain is cr*p at sport.. it just seems that way. Here In Aus they only report on their wins.. you can almost put your bottom dollar on if the news doesn't mentioned who won - it is a Brit that has won. Britian tends to be very self critical (well British media) .. where Aus media praises up all things Australian, Britian will attack it's own people.

You may want look at the GP's .. for British, or doesn't that fall under sport. Since the Aussies haven't been doing well in this... no reports. Last time I looked it's a Brit who is world champion (Hodgson) . Also take a look at track and field records... Australia is way behind Britain in this (bar freeman.. and bought in in Russians).

If the Aussies want to go on population to measure their sport try the rugby ... N.Zealand what are they 7 mill or something (??) competing against 20 million. N.Zealnd have a far better record in Rugby (you may want to look at the Bledisloe cup)

Money is everything when it comes to sport.. if it wasn't .. top sports nations would include India, Indonesia (India and Indonesia come nowhere) .. want to talk about population try 2.9 million to win medals in track events (Wales). Try a nation of 9 mill against almost 50 mill.

Population dose not cut it with me.. it's the money that people spend on sport... And Australia spends big bucks.

Also like I mentioned .. Australia only reports on it's wins in any sport.. they never report on it's losses (it usually gets mentioned at the bottom of the news )

The swimming is a fine example.. yes they good at swimming, but did they report on the sprint swim ... The Brit who holds the world record.. not on your Nelly. They have a inferior complex.

You ought to listen to these commentators here the weekend (Wales V N.Zealand).. my they were shocked. Wales did not even warrant a mention in previous weeks.. then all of a sudden they left with their mouths wide open... when a little nation looked as if they were going to cause an upset (leading at half time .. and they only beat us by 16 points, one of the tries should not have been a try... forward pass) .

The papers are full of "Arrogant England" .. s*it a little nation (Ireland) nearly beat their "great" Wallabies ... and in my opinion they should have won it (One point in it)

when it comes to sport the Aussies only report on the wins.. their losses are hidden away at the bottom of the news. Brits are self critics

Cheers

Last edited by SeanH; Nov 2nd 2003 at 3:46 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Eeek, people are so critical of my posts today...

My opinion was just that, my opinion.

I didn't say it was an Australian thing. But even throughout the news, there are little tid bits of mundane news like that.

Sometimes there even repeats of the same stories (same dialogue, footage) from the previous night, or the night before that.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Firstly - I am not Australian - funny that your high IQ never told you that.

Secondly - I have a job - both here in Canberra and in Iowa.

Which it would seem is 2 more than you have - despite coming to live in a country full of liars - which says a lot about someone who voluntarily chooses to do that.

But with your fondness for saying your IQ - you will no doubt fit right in.

~Sean

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Sean - I must be thick (despite having an IQ of over 130), because I need you to explain to why asking a person at the Australian Department of Immigration for details relating to emigrating to Australia who's job is to answer these questions is "asking the wrong people the wrong questions"?

Another widely publicised Australian lie: "Canberra is half way inbetween Melbourne and Sydney". You try driving it!

In which case why are you subscribing to a British Expat forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.