Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia now an "angry nation"

Wikiposts

Australia now an "angry nation"

Old Nov 1st 2003, 10:56 am
Goodpubmisser

I suppose that this is another disadvantage with Australia - the Newspapers are shit. I have given up reading them as they are so full of lies.

In England I used to read the Independant which appeared to be a lot better than The Sydney Morning Herald or the Australian.

I suppose that it is a reflection on Australian society as a whole - lying here is a way of life and if you are caught out all you do is give them a toothy smile and say "No worries mate".

Old Nov 1st 2003, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
I suppose that this is another disadvantage with Australia - the Newspapers are shit. I have given up reading them as they are so full of lies.

In England I used to read the Independant which appeared to be a lot better than The Sydney Morning Herald or the Australian.

I suppose that it is a reflection on Australian society as a whole - lying here is a way of life and if you are caught out all you do is give them a toothy smile and say "No worries mate".
Do you read the Sun? They are just as bad.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Good grief !!! - lying is a way of life.?????

Um ... sorry to burst your little bubble - but there are just as many liars in England as there are in Australia - or anywhere else for that matter.

Generalisations are generally wrong.

~Sean

Old Nov 1st 2003, 6:23 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by SeanH
Good grief !!! - lying is a way of life.?????

Um ... sorry to burst your little bubble - but there are just as many liars in England as there are in Australia - or anywhere else for that matter.

~Sean
OK here is an example - I arrived in Australia with a backpack on my back in the late 80's. I thought that I would stay in Australia and so I asked about applying for a visa.

The reponse that I got from the Department of Immigration varied as to where I asked it and note that all replies should have been the same:

Melbourne: Yes you can do it

Sydney: Yes you can do it

Adelaide: No you can't - you have to go back to England and apply there (this guy even came out from behind his desk to whisper this to me followed by a toothy smile)

Perth: No you have to go back to England and apply (asked by telephone).

I then telephoned the Department of Immigration in London and the Australian who answered got quite upset and told me that I had to apply from England.

Little did these guys know that I actually have cousins in Australia one of whom had a friend working for the Department of Immigration who gave me all the details. I applied through the Melbourne branch, got accepted and stayed.

The difference I think between lying in Australia and lying in England is that you expect it in England from scumbags and salesmen but not from government departments and Doctors etc, etc.

A tip for you all who are migrating to Australia - if you feel like a few days off work take them and then see a Doctor. He will give you a back dated sick note to give to your employer.

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Nov 1st 2003 at 6:25 pm.

Old Nov 1st 2003, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

This is pretty sad imo.

That isn't lying - it is asking the wrong people the wrong questions.

You surely have never lived - if you have never asked government or council officials questions and got totally different answers in England.

You really do need to get out a bit more.

Try migrating to America and see how no-one will give you the same answer to anything ...

That is not a national trait anymore than never washing and having appaling teeth is a British trait.

Give us a break.

~Sean

OK here is an example - I arrived in Australia with a backpack on my back in the late 80's. I thought that I would stay in Australia and so I asked about applying for a visa.

The reponse that I got from the Department of Immigration varied as to where I asked it and note that all replies should have been the same:

Melbourne: Yes you can do it

Sydney: Yes you can do it

Adelaide: No you can't - you have to go back to England and apply there (this guy even came out from behind his desk to whisper this to me followed by a toothy smile)

Perth: No you have to go back to England and apply (asked by telephone).

I then telephoned the Department of Immigration in London and the Australian who answered got quite upset and told me that I had to apply from England.

Little did these guys know that I actually have cousins in Australia one of whom had a friend working for the Department of Immigration who gave me all the details. I applied through the Melbourne branch, got accepted and stayed.

The difference I think between lying in Australia and lying in England is that you expect it in England from scumbags and salesmen but not from government departments and Doctors etc, etc.

A tip for you all who are migrating to Australia - if you feel like a few days off work take them and then see a Doctor. He will give you a back dated sick note to give to your employer.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

~Sean
But not if the topic under discussion is sport? (Just thinking about your post recently where you stated that British sport is 'putrid'?)
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Generally wrong - but not always

You would be hard pressed describing English sport in any other fashion.

~Sean

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
But not if the topic under discussion is sport? (Just thinking about your post recently where you stated that British sport is 'putrid'?)
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Generally wrong - but not always

You would be hard pressed describing English sport in any other fashion.

~Sean
Would you? I beg to differ. How can you apply such a generalised comment to something that encompasses such a huge range of disciplines?

We're discussing this on the wrong thread I fear!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Well you can basically write off england in any team sport - as I do not believe that they have won a world championship in anything in a very, very long time.

Sure they might go well in the Darts or Snooker - or some such minor sport - basically only played in english pubs. But for a country of Englands population - their overall record in sport is - at best - pathetic.

Just my 2 cents is all

~Sean

Would you? I beg to differ. How can you apply such a generalised comment to something that encompasses such a huge range of disciplines?

We're discussing this on the wrong thread I fear!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well you can basically write off england in any team sport - as I do not believe that they have won a world championship in anything in a very, very long time.

Sure they might go well in the Darts or Snooker - or some such minor sport - basically only played in english pubs. But for a country of Englands population - their overall record in sport is - at best - pathetic.

Just my 2 cents is all

~Sean
Is this about team sport or individual then (you have cited both)? England as a nation is not represented in major events such as Olympic Games- rather, Great Britain. Or do the comments stand for Britain too?

Last edited by HiddenPaw; Nov 1st 2003 at 7:39 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Either - take your pick.

Certainly the efforts at the Olympic and Commonwealth games as either Great Britain or England are pitiful for a country of England's size.

BTW - This is - or should not be - a surprise to anyone. Why do you think England is spending hundreds of millions of pounds to try and increase the performance of English sport.?

It is embarrassing - that is why.

~Sean

Is this about team sport or individual then (you have cited both)? England as a nation is not represented in major events such as Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games - rather, Great Britain. Or do the comments stand for Britain too?
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I should have clarified in the first instance what aspect of English/British sport is putrid. You are measuring success in relation to population size. So no, I won't try and deny that Australia has a greater rate of success in that respect.

Britain lacks a committed sporting body such as the AIS (or state equivalents). That is not to say that English or British sporting success is non-existant. Your comments that we only excel at darts or snooker are way off the mark - laughable in fact!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I should just add that a Brit was crowned World Time Trial Champion at the UCI Road Cycling World Championships in Canada last month......and he beat the Aussies to win it

So yes, we do have world champions!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:30 pm
Goodpubmisser

Either - take your pick.

Certainly the efforts at the Olympic and Commonwealth games as either Great Britain or England are pitiful for a country of England's size.

BTW - This is - or should not be - a surprise to anyone. Why do you think England is spending hundreds of millions of pounds to try and increase the performance of English sport.?

It is embarrassing - that is why.

~Sean

Last edited by Goodpubmisser; Nov 1st 2003 at 8:45 pm.

Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia now an "angry nation"

Originally posted by Jacqui
From the West Australian 25/10/03:

"Lucky country gives way to angry nation. Far from being laid-back blokes and sheilas, Australians are ticking time bombs ready to explode into violence at the slightest provocation. This is the conclusion from two studies released in recent weeks which document the rise of rage in Australia. Airport rage is the latest in the ever expanding list of rages - road rage, trolley rage, phone rage.......... It seems our fuses are getting shorter....... Up yours has replaced no worries as the national slogan......... An increasing population and cutbacks in services from many agencies were big drivers of frustration in the community, said Professor Byrne, and suggested that instead of misdirecting our anger at the person in front of us, we take a deep breath and count to ten."

perhaps its the huge number of immigrants to the country that is diluting its 'australianism' attitude?
as for airport rage you only have to watch 'airline' on tv here in the uk to know what thats all about - peoples rude and arrogant attitude towards the airport staff make my skin crawl!!! I honestly feel embarrassed to be btitish sometimes...but I suppose its a global problem so I would feel embarrassed where-ever I was!!!!

sue
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.