Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia from Northumberland (IT)

Australia from Northumberland (IT)

Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:01 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia from Northumberland (IT)

Originally Posted by richardsmith2005
I know I'm being lazy and not doing the research myself, but I wonder if you guys could give me your opinion of quality of life in Australia versus the UK in my current circumstances?

I live in Northumberland with my girlfriend. She works as a projects officer for the council and I work as a Technical Consultant for an IT firm. We have a combined income of £45,000 and would have aprox. £60,000 equity from our home if we were to sell it under current market conditions. We are both under 30.

Neither of us have a degree. I have a number of petty professional qualifications but mostly find work in my field due to experience rather than academics.

The kind of place we'd be after in Australia would be within 40 minutes commute of a large town or city that would have those sorts of jobs.

Are we likely to get in with these credentials, and if so, what do you think our quality of life will be live versus the UK?

Thanks guys.
Hi Richard

Myself, husband and two daughters left Tynemouth over 2.5 years ago. I worked at County Hall before we left and my husband was an IT contractor. We are living in regional WA (Albany) so we expected to earn less. We set up a business soon after we arrived but it took a while for it to build up, now my husband has too much work which is a great position to be in. He does work locally but his main contract at the moment is for a company on the East Coast. I work for a British guy who has a consultancy company in town, we do work mostly for companies in the UK looking to develop their business in Oz.

As for our quality of life, we love it here. We have found it hard financially but then mortgage rates are higher and also our girls go to an independent school (state school in the UK) so we have school fees to think about. We didn't have any furniture shipped across either so it's been like starting again. The area is lovely where we are, quite a bit cooler than Perth but still much better than what we were used to. We live semi-rural, have chickens and veggie patch on 3/4 acre of land.

We were on temporary visa's until last month and we are now Permanent Residents which is a great relief. I can't see that we will ever live in the UK again, I'm not even bothered about visiting at the moment - that might change though.

Good luck and if you want to ask anything, feel free.

Sandra