Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Same here, have a good lump in a term deposit account of 6.00% been looking at plenty of houses recently to gauge the current market. Sydney is tough and I can see some of the heat has come out of the market but I am not hedging my bets on a major drop in market price to buy a really good house in a sensible location.

Really if there is a slump it will probably affect the areas that most people who post on these boards would not want to live..

My OH father has lived in Sydney for 30 years and he says that some areas you cant go wrong... but that is balanced out by places that you could lose.

Problem is that I just want to live in the area that you cant lose but so does everybody else... I could hang on for another few years but I don't want to be paying a Mortgage in my 70's
You can get an at call rate of 6.51% at Ubank, better than what you are getting now.

The most desirable and high end areas of Perth have seen the most dramatic house price falls of 20 - 30%, so yes, you can go wrong, regardless of area and location, location.

'Area you can't lose' ...... bloody hell, you need to start reading up on the Californian, US, Irish, Spainish, etc, etc property crashes. Everyone who bought there thought 'We can't lose'
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
There's an assumption that people will pay 'anything' because there is an underlying demand for it and therefore price will rise regardless and to infinity and to the sky. This assumption is wrong.
I've never actually seen any sensible person make that assumption.

However, I have seen a few people say that everyone says it.

One thing that I have seen is that the desirable areas draw in a larger number of people with more money, and consequently more and more larger and better properties, causing the median price to rise in those areas.

Rising to infinity and the sky however, is pretty ridiculous.
It would be interesting to see actual quotes where this has been said.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I'm sure there are bargains like that to be had around Australia (within an hour or so of a city).
$16K AUD?! Perhaps a ute you could call a home? Or maybe one of those outback places where houses are a $1 and the population is 12.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:32 am
ABCDiamond

bloody hell, you need to start reading up on the Californian, US, Irish, Spainish, etc, etc property crashes. Everyone who bought there thought 'We can't lose'
Thought i'd better do some reading up...

Southern California house and condominium prices rose 13 percent in June 2010 from a year earlier...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...x-credits.html

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Rising to infinity and the sky however, is pretty ridiculous.
It would be interesting to see actual quotes where this has been said.
'Property doubles every 7-10 years' is one.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thought i'd better do some reading up...

Southern California house and condominium prices rose 13 percent in June 2010 from a year earlier...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...x-credits.html
As I said, you need to read up on Californain house prices.

I won't even bother to explain. DYOR
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:40 am
ABCDiamond

Just look at this, house up for auction in Hartlepool for £10K. Can't see many people from that area affording Aus thesedays and yet 10 years ago, people were indeed swapping their Hartlepool hovels for 4x2 with pool in good areas of Perth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-10-000.html
And why is that £10,000 Rodney Street, Hartlepool property so cheap ?

Rodney Street is part of a huge regeneration scheme where run-down houses were intended to be demolished and replaced with new properties.
But the regeneration plans hit economic hardship and were stalled, although council chiefs say they are still looking at ways of moving this scheme forward.
http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news...use.6412658.jp
Now for the real Hartlepool prices...

Hartlepool Average house price £120,764
Detached £226,545
Semi-detached £125,249
Terrace £81,068
Flat £115,561
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...es/html/eb.stm

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

You can get an at call rate of 6.51% at Ubank, better than what you are getting now.

The most desirable and high end areas of Perth have seen the most dramatic house price falls of 20 - 30%, so yes, you can go wrong, regardless of area and location, location.

'Area you can't lose' ...... bloody hell, you need to start reading up on the Californian, US, Irish, Spainish, etc, etc property crashes. Everyone who bought there thought 'We can't lose'
Well I would like to believe what you were saying as it would probably suit my situation better, but I am not going to delude myself.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:41 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

"Rates for 30-year fixed mortgages fell to the lowest on record for the third straight week on July 8, reducing borrowing costs for homebuyers"
Hmm, do you think if Australian banks offered 30 year fixed mortgages at 4.57%, it's might push prices up too?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

As I said, you need to read up on Californain house prices.

I won't even bother to explain. DYOR
Oh sorry, I read up on Californian house prices

They dropped from their highs, but are rising again. Having relatives living there I know exactly what happened and why, and the reason that the owners can't do the same here.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Hmm, do you think if Australian banks offered 30 year fixed mortgages at 4.57%, it's might push prices up too?
Almost certainly. But not to infinity. There are limits on what people can/will pay.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

US had a $8K tax credit going on, a bit like our FHOG to try and stem the rot. Unfortunately it's run out now. Top to bottom, California has dropped something like 40%+, I can't be bothered to locate the charts or stats.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:46 am
ABCDiamond

US had a $8K tax credit going on, a bit like our FHOG to try and stem the rot. Unfortunately it's run out now. Top to bottom, California has dropped something like 40%+, I can't be bothered to locate the charts or stats.
I agree it did. But it has started to climb again.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:48 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I agree it did. But it has started to climb again.
Isn't the government about to go bust there unless they shed 1000s of jobs and raise taxes to cut costs / raise funds?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh sorry, I read up on Californian house prices

They dropped from their highs, but are rising again. Having relatives living there I know exactly what happened and why, and the reason that the owners can't do the same here.
And have your relatives told you about the Alt A and Option Arm mortgages that are about to reset in US? Any news from them regarding commercial property in US which will undermine the banking system out there?

Don't worry if they haven't told you, I'm sure you'll be an expert in this field within 6-12 months time on BE, like other issues that have been going on and yet you have only woken up to the fact to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.