Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia or new zealand to bring up young family

australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Originally Posted by Gemmae31
Hi

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

We have family out in both but really can't decide

my partners job is pretty flexible as there is work available in both

Looking for honest opinions pros and cons for both

Thanks
Two complete different countries and you can be happy anywhere really. Just depends what you're looking for and someone will always tell you that one place is better than another. Just because it works for them, doesn't mean it will work for you. I couldn't live in a big city full time and don't like the idea of small living space, high rents/mortgages, traffic, smog. Quality of life for me would be less traffic, outdoor space, fresh air, housing I can afford without being a company director or working 24/7. Happy in Ireland now, but always fancied Tasmania and think it has a lot to offer (especially for kids). It's not too hot, good mix of rain/sun, affordable housing, not overpopulated.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your help
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

We have family out in both but really can't decide

my partners job is pretty flexible as there is work available in both

Looking for honest opinions pros and cons for both

Thanks
Currently the NZ economy is very strong and shows an acceleration against the Australian. My personal outlook is to say compare NZ/Australia to the Singapore/Malaysia example.

The education system from our cross experiences is stronger in NZ. The good state schools being on par with the top private schools of Victoria.

Fitness in the schools is far higher and that runs off with the parents

If your in a knowledge sector such as IT you would be well placed to keep an eye on the change in income levels in Auckland. 5 year or 20 year old stats are not really comparable.

Housing is expensive but so to is every city/country in the world. NZ in my opinion has better policies and conditions for long term home ownership. Many will argue the opposite for short term gain, but long term is the NZ focus.

Cost of living is dropping (OK some are shouting its far too high) and that's the right direction for long term prosperity.

To be fair you need to visit and evaluate offline, public forums are always going to have personal bias, and for a life change you deserver more quality intel for your decision making.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We have done the skilled assessment and his job is in demand in both
342313 Security Technician is seen as an NZ skilled occupation but appears only on the Immediate Shortage list which is an aid for employers, so no bonus points.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

The below article from this weekend's magazine supplement in The Australian may be of interest...

Revenge of the Kiwis: the tide turns in New Zealand’s favour
"What has happened is that somewhere, somehow, perhaps in the dead of night when no one was looking, Australia and New Zealand have swapped sides. Cocky, confident Australia is now home to dysfunctional politics, yawning budget deficits, rising unemployment and an electorate unwilling to accept tough reforms."
Old Apr 8th 2015, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ has a lot of downsides, but for young kids I don't think there is a better place in the world to grow up. One of the last few places where kids can have a decent, carefree childhood.

Education is generally excellent, and this includes state schools. Australia, in particular Melbourne, has far too much emphasis on private education. The state schools in NZ seem better equipped and much nicer - most will have large grounds, tennis courts, pools, playing fields etc.

I think that maybe in your 20's you'd want to move to bigger places with more opportunities, but for families it's an excellent place, especially if you love outdoors and good scenery.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 5:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Originally Posted by sr71
NZ has a lot of downsides, but for young kids I don't think there is a better place in the world to grow up. One of the last few places where kids can have a decent, carefree childhood.

Education is generally excellent, and this includes state schools. Australia, in particular Melbourne, has far too much emphasis on private education. The state schools in NZ seem better equipped and much nicer - most will have large grounds, tennis courts, pools, playing fields etc.

I think that maybe in your 20's you'd want to move to bigger places with more opportunities, but for families it's an excellent place, especially if you love outdoors and good scenery.
I would agree with this completely, with one caveat. If the family breadwinner(s) are not successful at obtaining suitably paid employment, then it is hard to give the kids a good lifestyle, as most aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for. This of course applies anywhere, but NZ seems to be somewhere where it can be hard for some people to make a decent living.

BB
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would agree with this completely, with one caveat. If the family breadwinner(s) are not successful at obtaining suitably paid employment, then it is hard to give the kids a good lifestyle, as most aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for. This of course applies anywhere, but NZ seems to be somewhere where it can be hard for some people to make a decent living.

BB
I wouldn't say that it's harder to make a living in New Zealand compared to Australia and it just depends on the individual.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I wouldn't say that it's harder to make a living in New Zealand compared to Australia and it just depends on the individual.
I think the two biggest problems with NZ are that in many areas it's more expensive than Australia, sometimes considerably - Auckland has Sydney level real estate prices, and that salaries have not been great - however the benefits to working in Australia have been rapidly eroded because of the Exchange rate and the slowing economy.

Actually getting a job and living in either country shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

we moved to St Heliers, Auckland last February after 10 years in Melbourne. Personally I prefer the lifestyle in NZ never too hot nor too cold. Certainly more of a outdoor culture than the suburbs in bayside Melbourne. We had the opportunity to return to Aus but have chosen to stay here for the time being. However property is considerably more expensive, with little change out of $1,500,000 for a smallish family home in this area. Traffic can be shocking during commute times, more like the UK.

We have found the people much friendlier and not so full of themselves, as the Aussies can be. However they are more reserved at first. Most of our friends here are Kiwis with a few expats thrown in. I have met these friends at the dog park and CrossFit gym.

I know that this is a bit controversial but I think the kids lifestyles often depends on the parents. A lazy parent who has no interests outside the home will often have children who are the same!