Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Or New Zealand-Advice Needed

Australia Or New Zealand-Advice Needed

Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Or New Zealand-Advice Needed

Hi I am looking to emigrate to either New Zealand or Australia with my mum who is a registered nurse (50), and my brother who is 17 and will be looking to go to university out there. I am 21 and will be able (hopefully) to get on a family visa as I'll be applying to do my teaching certificate in either country.
I am looking for advice, on behalf of my mum, on which country you feel we would be better off in, as I know the wages are better in Australia but the extreme heat and lots of insects are abit of a put off..where as NZ has lower pay/taxes etc but has so many things to do. So any advice on either country for nursing/teaching would be really helpful as we need to make a choice asap!

Cheers x
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Or New Zealand-Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Abster21
Hi I am looking to emigrate to either New Zealand or Australia with my mum who is a registered nurse (50), and my brother who is 17 and will be looking to go to university out there. I am 21 and will be able (hopefully) to get on a family visa as I'll be applying to do my teaching certificate in either country.
I am looking for advice, on behalf of my mum, on which country you feel we would be better off in, as I know the wages are better in Australia but the extreme heat and lots of insects are abit of a put off..where as NZ has lower pay/taxes etc but has so many things to do. So any advice on either country for nursing/teaching would be really helpful as we need to make a choice asap!

Cheers x

Your mother could probably get a sponsored temporary visa or possibly an employer sponsored PR visa although this is difficult over the age of 45.

Unfortunately if you are 21 then you need your own visa. There is no such thing as a 'family' visa which would cover you.

Also if your mother was on a temporary visa then your brother would also need to get his own visa once he reaches 18......unless he remained dependent on your mother

G

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 11th 2009 at 10:33 am.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

thank you for your advice,thats really helpful. Would my brother and me not be able to go on a visa with my mother if were still in education?or is that just applicable to new zealand?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abster21
thank you for your advice,thats really helpful. Would my brother and me not be able to go on a visa with my mother if were still in education?or is that just applicable to new zealand?
Yes then he would still be dependent.

The major problem is both your age (need your own visa) and your mother's age (over 45).

You may be better advised to discuss this with an agent who may be able to find some solution.
G
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In regard Australia I would look at East coast cities such as Melbourne, Sydney and Tasmania (not a city but not quite sure hobart or devonport are either).
All of which are only 3 or 4 hour flight to NZ.

New Zealand is quiet and I mean quiet so while it may be nice for a holiday be very very careful when making it a home decision.

In my experience it was the best place to live from age 5 to 25. Then for career or worldwide experiences you would crave the 24 hour flight.

It is near impossible to tell someone what is best for them. All we can do on this forum is offer knowledge on both and let you decipher through that.

- Think really hard about lower wages - the cost of living is the same as Oz, perhaps higher on some items and lower on others but it does balance out.
- Think about the social scene for both you, your brother and mother? (you don't mention a father) Also just people with similar interests?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
In regard Australia I would look at East coast cities such as Melbourne, Sydney and Tasmania (not a city but not quite sure hobart or devonport are either).
All of which are only 3 or 4 hour flight to NZ.

New Zealand is quiet and I mean quiet so while it may be nice for a holiday be very very careful when making it a home decision.

In my experience it was the best place to live from age 5 to 25. Then for career or worldwide experiences you would crave the 24 hour flight.

It is near impossible to tell someone what is best for them. All we can do on this forum is offer knowledge on both and let you decipher through that.

- Think really hard about lower wages - the cost of living is the same as Oz, perhaps higher on some items and lower on others but it does balance out.
- Think about the social scene for both you, your brother and mother? (you don't mention a father) Also just people with similar interests?

Thank you for your advice,thats really good!When you say New Zealand is really quite, how do u mean?

my mum is a registered,senior staff nurse,and I am looking at training (pgce) at university to be a teacher, so were'l be needing to weigh up where we would be better off,pay wise, in the long run!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

We are moving from NZ to Aus simply because the wages are so much higher. My DH has just excepted a job in Aus and is going to be nearly double what he is getting paid here. Living costs will be higher for housing for us coming from Chch but if you were going to Auckland the housing costs would be fairly similar I would say.

University education in NZ isnt cheap either but then I dont know what it would cost over there.