Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand

Australia or New Zealand

Old May 12th 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand

If you really do like warm/hot most of the year brisbane should be a winner.

It actually has quite sane temps for australia. They can be far more extreme than the old brisvegas. Somewhere around may, june, july you might get half a dozen or so cool nights, as in single digit temps.

IMO the worst bit is around the months of jan feb when the humidity is bad.

Summers are L O N G. There are plenty of days of 29 30 up there still.

The constant summer would drive me bananas. Now mostly in melbourne where the winds can sear the summer temps into hell, or freeze temps down by 10C with the wind factor. Crazy weather at times.

If you want mid high 20's, some low 30's year round brisbane is your thing.

Christchurch, I love north island NZ, so so beautiful, but the earthquake thing would put me off anything but renting. We saw it a few years back and the damage was incredible.
Old May 12th 2016, 9:02 am
Just Joined

TobyTR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evets
Correct, you would get a 4 year 457 Visa, after 2 or 3 years depending on how your company operates you can they ask them to sponsor you for PR. Unless you decide to pay for it yourself before.
Once you have PR, then you can look to citizenship.
Thanks for all the insightful replies This is the route I'll be looking at and to pay for Permanent Residency myself, if all goes well
Old May 12th 2016, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TobyTR
Thanks for all the insightful replies This is the route I'll be looking at and to pay for Permanent Residency myself, if all goes well
I didn't reply to the comment you quoted as I know your thread is about choosing somewhere to live not visas. But seeing as you have commented on it then note that it is not a simple case of paying for it. You cannot buy permanent residence, you have to qualify for a permanent visa. It is just something you should look into, either talk to employer about it or look into the route for yourself. Or of course just go with the flow and accept you might have to leave, but in that case buying a house not a good idea.
Old May 12th 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I didn't reply to the comment you quoted as I know your thread is about choosing somewhere to live not visas. But seeing as you have commented on it then note that it is not a simple case of paying for it. You cannot buy permanent residence, you have to qualify for a permanent visa. It is just something you should look into, either talk to employer about it or look into the route for yourself. Or of course just go with the flow and accept you might have to leave, but in that case buying a house not a good idea.
Yep I'm well aware of that also helps the points system is looking in my favour and I'm on the shortage list. Thanks
Old May 12th 2016, 10:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I'm well aware of that also helps the points system is looking in my favour and I'm on the shortage list. Thanks
Then why not apply for your PR now and let the company sponsor you for a 457 so you can move here while your PR is processing? Lists change regularly and a profession that's on the SOL today could be gone next time DIBP updates it.

Hairdressing & cooks used to be top of the food chain as far as PR visas went. Now? Not so much.
Old May 12th 2016, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

"The" shortage list? There are actually two of them and very different prospects if you are one rather than the other. Which one are you on? Are you sure that your occupation will be on it in the future? That was a rhetorical question because of course no way you could be.
Old May 12th 2016, 11:37 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

If citizenship is your ultimate end game then go to Australia. At the moment Australian citizenship can get you into NZ as a permanent resident. The other way around not so much (there's a new pathway for kiwis in Oz but it takes longer and is based on income). I would rather be an Australian in NZ than a New Zealander in Australia (if that makes any sense).

But having spent 5 years in both New Zealand and Australia, if I didn't have to worry about income or finding a job (hahahahahahahahahha) I would pick Wellington.
Old May 12th 2016, 10:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
there's a new pathway for kiwis in Oz but it takes longer and is based on income
Only for New Zealanders who were already living in Australia a few months ago. Not relevant for New Zealanders who are not living in Australia.

BB
Old May 12th 2016, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
"The" shortage list? There are actually two of them and very different prospects if you are one rather than the other. Which one are you on? Are you sure that your occupation will be on it in the future? That was a rhetorical question because of course no way you could be.
I'm a Business Analyst. You're correct, that is a question nobody will ever know the definitive answer to, but if everyone thought like that they probably wouldn't actively pursue things.

Out of interest, why did you go back to UK?
Old May 12th 2016, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then why not apply for your PR now and let the company sponsor you for a 457 so you can move here while your PR is processing? Lists change regularly and a profession that's on the SOL today could be gone next time DIBP updates it.

Hairdressing & cooks used to be top of the food chain as far as PR visas went. Now? Not so much.
Thanks that's the most logical route for me
Old May 12th 2016, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
If citizenship is your ultimate end game then go to Australia. At the moment Australian citizenship can get you into NZ as a permanent resident. The other way around not so much (there's a new pathway for kiwis in Oz but it takes longer and is based on income). I would rather be an Australian in NZ than a New Zealander in Australia (if that makes any sense).

But having spent 5 years in both New Zealand and Australia, if I didn't have to worry about income or finding a job (hahahahahahahahahha) I would pick Wellington.
That's very interesting! I've only heard good things about Wellington and for my line of work it is booming there. However, the long-overdue earthquake that's due to hit Wellington puts me off completely, along with a document I read listing hundreds of buildings in the city that can't withstand a quake
Old May 13th 2016, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Business Analyst. You're correct, that is a question nobody will ever know the definitive answer to, but if everyone thought like that they probably wouldn't actively pursue things.

I wouldn't live in either of your chosen locations, but that's just me.
Old May 13th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Question for you Toby, if you like your job and going to make the move on a 457 with your ultimate goal to apply for PR, why not see if your company will pay it. Makes sense in the long run as it is not a cheap process unless you complete all the the forms yourself, this does come with some risks as if you make any mistake, it will be rejected more than likely.

Also having your company sponsor you will make the process a lot easier and I believe it does get processed faster.

The downside it means you have to stick with your company for the next 4/5 years otherwise I presume, same in my company sponsorship, you would have to pay back some of the costs if you leave during a specified time frame.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or they maybe would go about things differently? Like getting a permanent visa whilst they know they can?

If you click on my username you can see threads started by me and there is one on my return to the UK. I rarely start a new thread so it shouldn't be hard to find. Nothing particularly interesting or relevant in there hence I won't spoil your thread with my boring old story.
Old May 13th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I'm biased towards Christchurch as I live here. Weather is perfect most of the year round and dry. Beaches, bays, ski fields all just a short distance away. Cost of living is expensive however wages especially in construction have risen a good bit since I've arrived. I would be on average 5 dollars an hour better of in OZ but I would also be taxed more plus working in a harsher climate. See how much the wage gap will be for both places. Also Brisbane houses are much more expensive than Christchurch however both NZ and OZ are now in a housing bubble which could massively damage the economies. For migrants in both these countries, if the economy crashes hard enough many of us will be going home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.