Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand

Australia or New Zealand

Old May 11th 2016, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

TobyTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia or New Zealand

Hello fellow ex-pats! The company I work for has offices in Brisbane and Christchurch, and due to growth over the last 18 months both locations are open to transfers. The dilemma is which one to go for?

I've been to Christchurch several times for just a couple of weeks a time, so I know it fairly well, but obviously living in a new country/city is a whole different ball game. Not been to Brisbane yet...

From research and experiences, I gather the following (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Christchurch pros:
- Mild weather that's still generally better and warmer than UK, winter lasts approximately 3 months
- Beautiful landscape/country/roads
- Outdoor lifestyle
- Fuel prices

Cons
- Lower wages than UK and Aus?
- Higher cost of living?
- Earthquakes
- Overpriced housing and built to a lower quality (no central heating, poor insulation etc)

Brisbane pros:
- Warmer weather for longer periods throughout the year
- Fuel prices
- The crumpet
- Winter? What winter?
- Cheaper housing than NZ
- Higher wages?

Cons
- Humidity?
- Spiders/snakes (I loathe spiders and the thought of having to check everything)
- Stamp duty/higher taxes?
- Housing bubble/economy heading for recession?
- Nanny state speed enforcement
- Expensive car prices and restrictive import laws

FYI I'm a Business Analyst, so will need to consider long-term prospects too. Your thoughts/input are much appreciated
Old May 11th 2016, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by TobyTR
Hello fellow ex-pats! The company I work for has offices in Brisbane and Christchurch, and due to growth over the last 18 months both locations are open to transfers. The dilemma is which one to go for?

I've been to Christchurch several times for just a couple of weeks a time, so I know it fairly well, but obviously living in a new country/city is a whole different ball game. Not been to Brisbane yet...

From research and experiences, I gather the following (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Christchurch pros:
- Mild weather that's still generally better and warmer than UK, winter lasts approximately 3 months
- Outdoor lifestyle
- Fuel prices

Cons
- Higher cost of living?
- Earthquakes
- Overpriced housing and built to a lower quality (no central heating, poor insulation etc)

Brisbane pros:
- Fuel prices
- The crumpet
- Winter? What winter?
- Higher wages?

Cons
- Humidity?
- Spiders/snakes (I loathe spiders and the thought of having to check everything)

FYI I'm a Business Analyst, so will need to consider long-term prospects too. Your thoughts/input are much appreciated
If you feel that Christchurch has a higher cost of living and lower wages then its a no brainier right?
Old May 12th 2016, 1:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You've put 'housing bubble' down for Brisbane (but not ChCh) then said it has cheaper housing and higher wages than ChCh?? Spiders and snakes are basically a non issue. I don't know how it compares to NZ, but the stamp duty in Qld is I think the lowest in Australia. Humidity - some will exaggerate about it, each to their own I suppose, but it's fairly easily dealt with for the handful of months a year that it's an issue. Cars being expensive needs a bit more thought. My Golf is substantially cheaper here than it would be in the UK for example...and a bit cheaper than it is in NZ.
Old May 12th 2016, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies so far

I questioned the housing bubble and Australian economy because they are indeed experiencing a housing price bubble (which no doubt will burst at some stage), where as Christchurch's property bubble isn't as fierce, however their properties have always been slightly more expensive for what you get - housing quality etc.

Also with the mining boom well and truly over, this will have a knock-on effect on the rest of Australia's industry.

European second-hand cars are more expensive in Aus than UK - for example, BMW M3s and the like work out approximately 20% cheaper even when shipping is taken into account - but I suppose this is a given as very few European cars will be Australian-new - common sense I suppose.

Aussie HSVs and FPV Falcons seem pretty good value for money though and fuel prices are a dream. BMW M6s and Audi RS4s/premium performance European cars are definitely cheaper in NZ than Aus, but only by circa 10%... This is due to their less-restrictive import laws. Yup, I'm a petrolhead
Old May 12th 2016, 4:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch pros:
- Outdoor lifestyle
- Fuel prices

Cons
- Higher cost of living?
- Earthquakes

Brisbane pros:
- Fuel prices
- The crumpet
- Winter? What winter?
- Higher wages?

Cons
- Humidity?

You said it - the trim is better in Qld

NZ and hot women are not something you would say in the same sentence

Christchurch is a nice city but more so to visit rather than live
Old May 12th 2016, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies so far

I questioned the housing bubble and Australian economy because they are indeed experiencing a housing price bubble (which no doubt will burst at some stage), where as Christchurch's property bubble isn't as fierce, however their properties have always been slightly more expensive for what you get - housing quality etc.

Also with the mining boom well and truly over, this will have a knock-on effect on the rest of Australia's industry.

European second-hand cars are more expensive in Aus than UK - for example, BMW M3s and the like work out approximately 20% cheaper even when shipping is taken into account - but I suppose this is a given as very few European cars will be Australian-new - common sense I suppose.

Aussie HSVs and FPV Falcons seem pretty good value for money though and fuel prices are a dream. BMW M6s and Audi RS4s/premium performance European cars are definitely cheaper in NZ than Aus, but only by circa 10%... This is due to their less-restrictive import laws. Yup, I'm a petrolhead
I guess as a whole GDP the mining boom may have had its affects but Melbourne and Sydney its business as usual same as Aberdeen has had no effect on London. Brisbane and QLD did have some reliance on mining to a degree but you would have to get that from someone who is unfortunate enough to live there. Perth is feeling the pinch.

Agree with Zulu. Tottie is on the very average side in NZ.
Old May 12th 2016, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have asked on an Auatralia forum, most of us will not have lived in NZ and probably won't know much about it. So your answers are predisposed to favour Australia.

I would not be overly focused on things like housing bubbles or economic cycles, they are talked about and happen everywhere. As you have a job to come to, I would also not be too concerned at current job market, if you lose the job, won't you have to leave anyway? If you plan on staying, how do you intend to do that?

I never once checked for a spider. Now back in the UK for a year and am more bothered by insects here (spiders, wasps, houseflies) than I ever was in Australia. In fact I forgot houseflies existed for a while there.

If I were picking between the two countries, I would not bring many of the factors you mention into it at all, picking a country based on car prices seems absurd to me, it is what it is.

I would consider the climate a big factor, if you really hate living in a hot and humid climate then NZ it is. If you do not hate it but are just slightly worried well then like most you will adapt, Brisbane is not that hot and it is not humid all year round either. For me, the number of different places to explore would come into it. NZ is beautiful but I think there is more variety across Australia, would keep me interested for years. Going back for a trip next week.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input so far, it's helping and the more I read the better

I guess my passion for cars is the same as people who have horses and are heavily into equestrian activities each to their own. Brisbane is ticking all the boxes for me right now and I definitely prefer hot climate all year round to the typical four seasons. Can't stand cold weather.

I'm an all-or-nothing guy, and if I do make the big move to Brisbane and it works out well job-wise then I would be looking at citizenship asap.

I'm in the fortunate position that I'm single and have family in NZ and Aus, so it's a no-brainer being that side of the world and closer to them
Old May 12th 2016, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an all-or-nothing guy, and if I do make the big move to Brisbane and it works out well job-wise then I would be looking at citizenship asap.
People that transfer, usually do so on a temporary employer sponsored visa. It is not possible to get citizenship from a temporary employer sponsored visa. You would need to secure a permanent visa first. So was just highlighting that you need a strategy for this.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason you are limiting yourself to Christchurch and Brisbane and not for instance considering Wellington or Adelaide?

Christchurch and Brisbane are very different cities and quite hard to compare. I would say Christchurch would be more like Adelaide.

BB
Old May 12th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TobyTR,

This also applies to AU:
Overpriced housing and built to a lower quality (no central heating, poor insulation etc)
Central heating can be found in some, in the form of ducted heating though.

Higher cost of living. Which are why the wages are higher in Oz, they also have a high minimum wage.

Spiders/snakes - I have not really had an issue with them in Melbourne, the main is flies/mossies in the summer and cockroaches(which I have encountered a few times)

Cars are cheaper here than compared to the UK, well the one I bought, is around a third of the price less when you convert the price on the Ford UK website. Not sure about the German cars.

Australians, well in Melbourne, love the German cars. I really cannot figure how so many people can afford to buy them, as so many new cars on the road. I suppose, a lot of people are either re mortgaging their properties since they have went up so much or up to there eyes in debt!

There is another member of the forum, I believe her name is pine cone, she left Christchurch because her home got wrecked in the earthquake and has no intention of moving back. She is now based in Sydney with the intention of looking to move to Toronto.
Old May 12th 2016, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
People that transfer, usually do so on a temporary employer sponsored visa. It is not possible to get citizenship from a temporary employer sponsored visa. You would need to secure a permanent visa first. So was just highlighting that you need a strategy for this.
Correct, you would get a 4 year 457 Visa, after 2 or 3 years depending on how your company operates you can they ask them to sponsor you for PR. Unless you decide to pay for it yourself before.
Once you have PR, then you can look to citizenship.
Old May 12th 2016, 7:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Any reason you are limiting yourself to Christchurch and Brisbane and not for instance considering Wellington or Adelaide?
The company I work for has offices in Brisbane and Christchurch, and due to growth over the last 18 months both locations are open to transfers.
This maybe?

I love the South Island for a holiday...not sure about living in ChCh though.
Old May 12th 2016, 7:41 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well you have asked on an Auatralia forum, most of us will not have lived in NZ and probably won't know much about it. So your answers are predisposed to favour Australia.

I would not be overly focused on things like housing bubbles or economic cycles, they are talked about and happen everywhere. As you have a job to come to, I would also not be too concerned at current job market, if you lose the job, won't you have to leave anyway? If you plan on staying, how do you intend to do that?

I never once checked for a spider. Now back in the UK for a year and am more bothered by insects here (spiders, wasps, houseflies) than I ever was in Australia. In fact I forgot houseflies existed for a while there.

If I were picking between the two countries, I would not bring many of the factors you mention into it at all, picking a country based on car prices seems absurd to me, it is what it is.

I would consider the climate a big factor, if you really hate living in a hot and humid climate then NZ it is. If you do not hate it but are just slightly worried well then like most you will adapt, Brisbane is not that hot and it is not humid all year round either. For me, the number of different places to explore would come into it. NZ is beautiful but I think there is more variety across Australia, would keep me interested for years. Going back for a trip next week.
Probably one of the most well balanced and sensible posts I've read. Makes a refreshing change from the usual NZ bashing from people on here, nice work bermudashorts
Old May 12th 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch pros:
- Outdoor lifestyle
- Fuel prices

Cons
- Higher cost of living?
- Earthquakes

Brisbane pros:
- Fuel prices
- The crumpet
- Winter? What winter?
- Higher wages?

Cons
- Humidity?

The question I would ask myself is how much will you be earning through the transfer and what can you get in that specific location with your salary.

You also have to look at population size, so while the centre of Christchurch might seem more expensive, you might be able to live in the outskirts and could be closer to work etc. but then again you should be only looking at rental costs until you actually have residency.

There's no point of looking at housing prices now until you have the guarantee you can stay in the country. You might find that the bubble will burst and other locations in Oz or NZ might offer you a better lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.