Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand

Australia or New Zealand

Old May 14th 2016, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand

A word of caution. Do not assume that because an occupation is on one of the lists that there is any actual shortage of people for that occupation or that there are actually any jobs for that occupation. My occupation is still on the list even though we have massive unemployment.
Old May 14th 2016, 7:46 am
Just Joined

TobyTR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evets
Question for you Toby, if you like your job and going to make the move on a 457 with your ultimate goal to apply for PR, why not see if your company will pay it. Makes sense in the long run as it is not a cheap process unless you complete all the the forms yourself, this does come with some risks as if you make any mistake, it will be rejected more than likely.

Also having your company sponsor you will make the process a lot easier and I believe it does get processed faster.

The downside it means you have to stick with your company for the next 4/5 years otherwise I presume, same in my company sponsorship, you would have to pay back some of the costs if you leave during a specified time frame.
This is another option thanks.

I spoke to a colleague over the phone in Brisbane yesterday who worked in Christchurch for several years before moving on to Brisbane. He said he made the jump to Aus as he got frustrated with fewer opportunities in Chch and 15-20% less pay. And that was before the 2011 quakes!
Old May 14th 2016, 10:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by paddy234
in OZ .. I would also be taxed more
This surprises me, as in NZ there is no tax free allowance, you are taxed from the first dollar you earn, whereas in Australia you are not taxed anything until you earn over $18000.

Also the amount if items you can offset against tax in Australia is unbelievable - charity donations, kids laptops, laundry if you have a work uniform, coffees you buy for your employees, etc etc, all of these come off your gross income before your taxable income is calculated.

BB
Old May 15th 2016, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
...Also Brisbane houses are much more expensive than Christchurch...
Would it be that much more ? 15%-20% pre exchange rate maybe ?
Old May 16th 2016, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This surprises me, as in NZ there is no tax free allowance, you are taxed from the first dollar you earn
That's a really good idea and we should have it in Australia as it would go a fair way to rectifying the train wreck that sees more than half of taxpayers taking more out of the system than they put in

No CGT in NZ too - or luxury car tax