Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand

Australia or New Zealand

Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Kasia p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia or New Zealand

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. My partner and I have decided that we want to move to Australia or New Zealand. We will be applying for skilled worker visa for him (he's a plasterer).
Does anyone have any info or experience whether the visa application process is fairly similar to both? Or is it easier to get visa for one or the other?
We would love to live in either.
Many thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by Kasia p
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. My partner and I have decided that we want to move to Australia or New Zealand. We will be applying for skilled worker visa for him (he's a plasterer).
Does anyone have any info or experience whether the visa application process is fairly similar to both? Or is it easier to get visa for one or the other?
Many thanks
Totally different requirements and processes - and very different countries to live in too.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 7:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia or New Zealand

Originally Posted by Kasia p
Hi everyone,
Many thanks
Well if you would like to live in either then I suggest you apply for PR in Australia as this gives you the rights to live in NZ. The reverse does not apply.

Quick 5 second comparison -

- NZ wetter and colder
- NZ more beautiful scenery
- Aus better beaches
- Aus better work opportunities in most fields
- Aus more developed, bigger cities, better infrastructure.
- NZ cheaper housing except for Auckland.
- NZ higher costs in most day-to-day things.
- NZ lower wages.

BB
Old Nov 24th 2015, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Well if you would like to live in either then I suggest you apply for PR in Australia as this gives you the rights to live in NZ. The reverse does not apply.

- NZ wetter and colder
- Aus better beaches
- NZ lower wages.

BB
- NZ wetter and colder - Debatable. Sydney and Auckland have a similar average rainfall - where are you talking?
- NZ more beautiful scenery - Debatable. Plenty of places on the North Island are as boring as ........
- Aus better beaches - NZ has some of the most stunning beaches you will find anywhere. Not sure how you work out that statement
- Aus better work opportunities in most fields. Really? Statistics NZ: More New Zelanders leaving Australia than arriving
- Aus more developed, bigger cities, better infrastructure. True
- NZ cheaper housing except for Auckland. Have you done a salary vs cost calc?
- NZ higher costs in most day-to-day things. Have you done a salary vs cost calc?
- NZ lower wages. Have you done a salary vs cost calc?
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:14 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
- NZ wetter and colder - Debatable. Sydney and Auckland have a similar average rainfall - where are you talking? Broadly true but I think another way to describe NZ's weather in comparison to Oz's is "more temperate". Where I live you can grow melons, lemons, grapes, and aubergines in your back yard but we never do serious heatwaves. I'm not saying I prefer it but I don't think "NZ wetter and colder" quite covers it
- NZ more beautiful scenery - Debatable. Plenty of places on the North Island are as boring as ........ So true. But the NI also has some outstanding scenery - it's mostly the bit east of Taupo from the Bombay Hills to Taumaranui, but even that section has some stunning bits. But yeah, there's some flat pylon-covered nothingness in the Waikato central area also.
- Aus better beaches - NZ has some of the most stunning beaches you will find anywhere. Not sure how you work out that statement Yes, Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Islands area are two examples. NZ's beaches at their best easily rival Oz's but are unique also. However, I do find that NZ's best beaches tend to be unpatrolled and quite wild so I slightly prefer Oz's for beachy days with the family. Though I am a bit of a scaredy cat about sharks.
- Aus better work opportunities in most fields. Really? Statistics NZ: More New Zelanders leaving Australia than arriving Despite the recent trend reversal, I think this is broadly still true for many but that it sucks to be a Kiwi out of work in Oz.
- Aus more developed, bigger cities, better infrastructure. True Yes, true. The cities are bigger and offer more but also more densely populated.
- NZ cheaper housing except for Auckland. Have you done a salary vs cost calc? Agree
- NZ higher costs in most day-to-day things. Have you done a salary vs cost calc? The gap has pretty much closed, imo.
- NZ lower wages. Have you done a salary vs cost calc?
My tuppence worth in green
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
My tuppence worth in green
The moral of the story ........ broad sweeping assessments don't often ring true.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The moral of the story ........ broad sweeping assessments don't often ring true.
Was that an ironic smile on the end
Old Nov 24th 2015, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

- NZ wetter and colder
- Aus better beaches
- NZ lower wages.

BB
Interesting to hear from someone who has lived in both countries
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interesting to hear from someone who has lived in both countries
I have too
Old Nov 24th 2015, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I have too
So you have! Forgot that
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

We lived in windy Wellington and we now live in sunny Sydney. From our own, personal experience (which is by no means indicative of others):
NZ is wetter and colder
NZ has more beautiful scenery (and because it's cooler, far better hiking options)
Don't know about beaches
For us (in IT) Australia offers far more and better work opportunities
Australia is more developed, bigger cities, better infrastructure (but whether it is an advantage or a disadvantage depends on what you are after).
Houses in Sydney are far more expensive than houses in Wellington.
Groceries and everyday expenses are cheaper in Australia, but this is tied to the fact that our household income doubled when we moved to Australia.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benhila
household income doubled when we moved to Australia.
Double what? You went from $NZ100,000 to $AU200,000 or ............... ?

How did you work out it was double?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Double what? You went from $NZ100,000 to $AU200,000 or ............... ?

How did you work out it was double?
Yes, we moved from a X salary to a 2X salary
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benhila
Yes, we moved from a X salary to a 2X salary
I don't believe a straight swap is ever a fair analysis. Even throwing in an exchange rate calc doesn't do the job either.

Not saying you aren't right in your assessment, just saying you need to include cost of things, and what you have left over at the end as a proportion of your income.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Tax is lower in Australia, especially for those on lower incomes.

GST is a lot lower too (for now)

Someone earning AU$18k a year would pay no tax in Australia. Someone earning $NZ18k a year would pay about $2100 in income tax.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.