Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or New Zealand?

Australia or New Zealand?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australia or New Zealand?

I have been to New Zealand and loved it and would be prepared to live their. However the wife would prefer to emigrate to Australia because its a warmer climate (even though her or myself have never been.)
What would you recommend as I work for the Ambulance Service and would only end up with about £60000 equity if I sold my house. So ttransferringmy skills and cost of living will be a big factor if I take the plunge for a better life for my family.
Any advice please?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:00 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or New Zealand?

Originally Posted by garyp
I have been to New Zealand and loved it and would be prepared to live their. However the wife would prefer to emigrate to Australia because its a warmer climate (even though her or myself have never been.)
What would you recommend as I work for the Ambulance Service and would only end up with about £60000 equity if I sold my house. So ttransferringmy skills and cost of living will be a big factor if I take the plunge for a better life for my family.
Any advice please?
The housing market has gotten expensive in both countries, but way more so in australia. Some will say that NZ is more expensive, but people need to consider the exchange rate between the two. OZ $ is stronger so that helps, along with the fact OZ has a lower GST (similar to VAT), and it isn't applied to all goods. Wages might be a little higher in OZ but with the IR reforms it means new employees can be stuck on lower rate of pay with worse workign conditions.

I think people don't realise just how hot and uncomfortable the australian climate can get. In summer it's not unusual for some to be stuck indoors all day with the air-con on on full blast! Just walking to the shops down the road (say a 5-10min walk) can be unbearable!

I think NZ is genuinely more laidback and friendly and the climate Auckland and North is sub-tropical (people forget that!). South Island is cooler but rains less in winter.

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really. You might find either country to your liking. Both have their good points and there not so good points. Like anywhere really.

Is there a real desire to migrate? or is it just to 'see what's out there', or you feel like needing a change? Many say if the desire is to getaway from where you are, migrating won't work.

I think you will need to do more research, independent of sites like this one. You need hard objective facts, not just the mix of opinon you will get. You posted this on the OZ forum, so be prepared for alot of anti-NZ/pro-OZ sentiment.

Maybe check out these sites for a starting point:

www.immi.gov.au

www.immigration.govt.nz

http://jobsearch.gov.au

www.realestate.com.au

www.reinz.co.nz

www.seek.co.nz

www.kiwicareers.govt.nz

www.stuff.co.nz

www.abc.net.au

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 24th 2007 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I do have a strong feeling to migrate, especially after visiting New Zealand and realising the world is a big place and offers many opportunities.
I will visit Australia in the near future to get a feel of a certain area (maybe Queensland, where I have family, or SA where it may be cheaper)
Living in Wales, UK we have some great scenery with awful weather and my kids are active and love the outdoors.
Theres got to be a better life than one in the UK. Is that the reason everyone migrates?
thanks for the info.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Theres got to be a better life than one in the UK. Is that the reason everyone migrates?
thanks for the info.
How do you define better? Does that mean just because weather is better life is better?
There are quiet a lot of people who move to Australia to escape stuff and find out they're just as unhappy there.
Personally I want to go to Aus as it's different to UK not better or worse just different, to be near most of my family and have a total change of scene. Feels better being drawn to Australia, rather than feeling the need to escape the UK. If I can match my lifestyle now in Aus I'll be very happy, but may take a few years of struggling to get there. Time will tell if it was worth it, but if I find it's not what I want I can always come back as I know I can enjoy my life in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:47 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Gary - I think ultimately it must depend on work and the kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

I loved NZ (so beautiful) and had lots of kiwi friends when I lived in London who I really liked. I found it to be a very friendly place and loved the Maori culture.
I won't live there though as I feel opportunities are few and far between with regards to work, travel etc.

A lot of Kiwi's end up in Australia because there are more opportunities there.

If you are guaranteed work on a good wage in NZ though then go for it. Beautiful place, low pollution, friendly people.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Gary, my SIL used to work on the ambulance in the North Island of NZ (now works for London AS), she earned about NZ$50,000 I think. She did have to do 24-hour shifts on her own though!!!!! From memory she had to work 12 hours, then she could sleep 12 hours at the station but had to get up if there was a call.

Please PM me if you want to know more and I'll put you in touch with her. There's also some ambulance guys on the forum from Oz who could help you with that.

Buzzy
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks will PM if i need more info.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:29 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Good day Gary.

Greetings from Marlborough in the Top of the South Island of New Zealand.

We ended up here after an extended period of wonderlust, having left the UK in 2001 and arriving in NZ in 2004.

In short, life is totally different than the UK. And for us things have worked out wonderfully, we have jobs in the wine industry, enjoy the sunniest place in NZ, breathtaking scenery and live a very outdoors lifestyle, diving and horse riding, fishing etc.

Just do not expect to get rich! But there is so much more to life than money.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi beechcomber,
Is that the area of Picton where I took the ferry to the north Island?
It was the only part I seen after driving up through south island.
Whats the cost of housing for 3/4 bedders and are there Ambulance stations in the area? (i am Paramedic)
I believe it is one of the dryest areas, is that correct?
gary