Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia to New Zealand ??

Australia to New Zealand ??

Old Sep 14th 2005, 12:11 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia to New Zealand ??

Can anyone tell me if you can emigrate to NZ once you have got a perm res visa for OZ, and do you need to start the process all over again? I presume that you would need to possibly live in Oz for around 5 years maybe even become a Citizen,..... just thinking ???But would like to know the answer because we wanted NZ originally but due to certain circumstances I have only a part qualification, got my TRA on experience, NZ will only look at certificates... many thanks
Old Sep 14th 2005, 7:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia to New Zealand ??

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Can anyone tell me if you can emigrate to NZ once you have got a perm res visa for OZ, and do you need to start the process all over again? I presume that you would need to possibly live in Oz for around 5 years maybe even become a Citizen,..... just thinking ???But would like to know the answer because we wanted NZ originally but due to certain circumstances I have only a part qualification, got my TRA on experience, NZ will only look at certificates... many thanks
The only safe way to do this is to become an Australian citizen first.

Australian PRs do have some rights in NZ, but time in NZ will not count for Australian citizenship or returning resident visa purposes.

People who try to 'hop' across the Tasman without citizenship run the risk of being left without status in either country. A one-way trip home is the result.

Visit http://www.immigration.govt.nz for information on New Zealand immigration.

Jeremy
Old Sep 14th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

salmey is an unknown quantity at this point

We received aussie residency and then came to nz, happened to visit friends here and liked the feel more than aussie. When you enter the country you gain nz residency stamp in pasport as right if you have aussie residency just have to tick the right box on the form coming in. have contacted authorities over here as we have been here 3 years and been told to apply for citizenship as we have been here legally for 3 years so hopefully will be ok. We seem to have the same rights as someone who applied directly to nz.
hope that ramble helps but tis possible
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

If you have a valid Aus PR then you get a NZ PR stamp in your passport automatically when you arrive, just tick the right box on the arrival form. But you dont get a NZ RRV. Im not sure if you are able to apply for a NZ RRV once you have lived in NZ for a year, if you can that is one way of doing it. You will most likely lose your Aussie PR if you live in NZ, so be careful you dont end up with nowhere to go.

Safest way is to get aussie citizenship, but you can look into the NZ RRV thing as an option
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:17 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Thannks fot the information, but what is RRV (?) sorry!!
its great that theres a possible option, once we ger over to Oz we want to see lots of the great island, and it would be great to see NZ, it looks beautiful on the programmes etc... it would just be another option should we not settle in Perth?
Thanks again
A

Originally Posted by newkiwi
If you have a valid Aus PR then you get a NZ PR stamp in your passport automatically when you arrive, just tick the right box on the arrival form. But you dont get a NZ RRV. Im not sure if you are able to apply for a NZ RRV once you have lived in NZ for a year, if you can that is one way of doing it. You will most likely lose your Aussie PR if you live in NZ, so be careful you dont end up with nowhere to go.

Safest way is to get aussie citizenship, but you can look into the NZ RRV thing as an option
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thannks fot the information, but what is RRV (?) sorry!!
Resident Return Visa. Read all about it on form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

You'll need one if you don't become a citizen, and if you don't qualify for one, you may find yourself on a one-way trip home.

Jeremy