Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - My moment of clarity

Australia - My moment of clarity

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of
Default Australia - My moment of clarity

Let me set the scene.... Scarborough, Perth. Its 7:40am. I'm walking down the street to the bus stop for my commute to work listening to my Ipod. The song Strawberry Swing by Coldplay. It was lovely and warm, no breeze, blue skys, the ocean has that nice shimmery twinkle (you know the one).

For a change on my commute I was really taking notice of where I was, what was happening round me and listening to the lyrics...

They were sitting
They were sitting on the strawberry swing
Every moment was so precious

They were sitting
They were talking under strawberry swing
Everybody was for fighting
Wouldn't wanna waste a thing

Cold, cold water bring me round
Now my feet won't touch the ground
Cold, cold water what ya say?
When it's such…
It's such a perfect day
It's such a perfect day

I remember
We were walking up to strawberry swing
I can't wait until the morning
Wouldn't wanna change a thing

They were telling me yeah you're doing the right thing your living your life getting out in the world, right now this moment in time is as pefect as can be, then the lyrics go on...

People moving all the time
Inside a perfectly straight line
Don't you wanna curve away?
When it's such…
It's such a perfect day
It's such a perfect day

Now the sky could be blue
I don't mind
Without you it's a waste of time

Could be blue
I don’t mind
Without you it’s a waste of time

Could be blue,
could be grey
without you I’m just miles away

And it hit me! All this means jack sh*t without my closest friends and family.

Anyway sorry for rambling but that was it my moment of clarity - Australia rocks I love living here just not in this life - I'm going home.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - My moment of clarity

You seem to be easily influenced by music. Whatever you do, dont listen to anything by William Shatner or you'll be wired to the moon.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You seem to be easily influenced by music. Whatever you do, dont listen to anything by William Shatner or you'll be wired to the moon.
That is so freaky!!!! Only today a friend gave me a copy of a William Shatner album (Has Been - I think its called), there is a wicked cover of Common People by Pulp on it. Its hilarious
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
That is so freaky!!!! Only today a friend gave me a copy of a William Shatner album (Has Been - I think its called), there is a wicked cover of Common People by Pulp on it. Its hilarious
Well atleast you can use it as a pick me up. There is no way for it to possibly send you on a downer that Coldplay seemed to do.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:51 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

So does that mean one has to be careful of in supermarkets in this area?

"I met her in a supermarket...."
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

It is sometimes good to have a 'flash of lightening' moment to put things in perspective, be it something someone does or says. I wouldn't think for one moment that this has come as a bolt out of the blue, but rather has culminated lots of feelings all at once. I think that sometimes you need a push to make you realise what is important to you. I do think though that if this has come as a bolt out of the blue, it would be best to give quite a bit more thought to it (yes, probably best steer clear of Keane too!). Given your name can I guess you come from Bristol? (Me too, for my sins) - my opinion of Bristol is that you're best staying where you are! Seriously though, do some sole searching and go with your heart would be my advice. Good luck for the future, whatever your decision.
Lorraine
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

I'm from Bristol too. Bristol's nice.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:12 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that - exact same song - complete opposite effect on me!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see:

1. Listens to Coldplay.

2. Decides there must be more to life.

Hmmm...yep, would have that effect on me too.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I had my moment of clarity a few years ago, too and that's when we decided to leave our home and try something new. You can only do what's right for you and your personal circumstances. Best of luck with everything and I wish you every happiness back home.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Let's see:

1. Listens to Coldplay.

2. Decides there must be more to life.

Hmmm...yep, would have that effect on me too.
Listening to too much Coldplay addles the brain, don't you know!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:31 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Listening to too much Coldplay addles the brain, don't you know!
Before you know it, you're a drippy, sniffly, Liberal vegan (shudder).
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Before you know it, you're a drippy, sniffly, Liberal vegan (shudder).
"And heaven knows I'm miserable now".
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
It is sometimes good to have a 'flash of lightening' moment to put things in perspective, be it something someone does or says. I wouldn't think for one moment that this has come as a bolt out of the blue, but rather has culminated lots of feelings all at once. I think that sometimes you need a push to make you realise what is important to you. I do think though that if this has come as a bolt out of the blue, it would be best to give quite a bit more thought to it (yes, probably best steer clear of Keane too!). Given your name can I guess you come from Bristol? (Me too, for my sins) - my opinion of Bristol is that you're best staying where you are! Seriously though, do some sole searching and go with your heart would be my advice. Good luck for the future, whatever your decision.
Lorraine
Thanks for the kind words. And your right its not a bolt out of the blue. For a while my minds just been churning over... is this the right thing for us, should our daughter be on the otherside of the world to grandparents... the usual stuff really, and that day was just the sum of all the thoughts.

Not for one moment am I going back because of Australia we love it here and if we could transplant our close friends and family members here we would stay.

Am in a better mood this morning currently listening to Fifi and the Flowertots and dancing with my daughter!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the kind words. And your right its not a bolt out of the blue. For a while my minds just been churning over... is this the right thing for us, should our daughter be on the otherside of the world to grandparents... the usual stuff really, and that day was just the sum of all the thoughts.

Not for one moment am I going back because of Australia we love it here and if we could transplant our close friends and family members here we would stay.

Am in a better mood this morning currently listening to Fifi and the Flowertots and dancing with my daughter!
That's the spirit! Its easy to find emotional hooks in music, that's why, in my opinion, its the most evocative of all the arts. If you want to help yourself not feel 'blue', avoid listening to the 'blues', I should know I've been through my own Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen phases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.