Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia, Mum and me

Australia, Mum and me

Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:37 am
Professional Princess

Default Australia, Mum and me

As you know, I am working very hard on my TRA stuff with my one track mind directed on getting into Australia.

I thought I could handle anything that came my way until last Thursday.

I was at work and received a call from my sister telling me my dear sweet mum had collapsed.

My boss paid for me to get a taxi from North Acton to Hemel Hempstead (Thanks for that).

Arriving in rescusitation, my little old mum was in heart and lung failure and kidney failure. Her oxygen saturation was 70 percent instead of 99 percent and she was so confused she didnt know us.

Doctors told us they didnt think they could do anymore for mum and we prepared ourselves for the worst.

She was transferred to the acute assessment unit and she seemed like an old lady all of a sudden. Going from a sharp intelligent woman to a frail old lady.

I sat and fed her with tears pouring down my face wishing I had visited her more, told her I loved her more, just been better at caring for her.

One week on and my mum is still alive. She has a disease called COPD and her kidneys are now working again. We are waiting for the results of some fluid taken off her lungs.

Her oxygen levels are 94 percent although she cant maintain it without oxygen via a mask nor can she walk round the bed.

She is 'normal' now and not confused.

When I saw her the other day I said 'Am I too old for a cuddle?' and she said 'no, you will always be my baby' and then wrapped her tiny arms around me.

'You do know how much I love you mum' I told her and she smiled and said she did.

How on earth can I go to Australia and leave my mum after this?

Yes I thought I knew the score of when you migrate at some stage you will lose a loved one.

But every single time I close my eyes, I see her wired up to the vital signs monitor, blue around her mouth and re-live the feeling of her leaving me.

I can't believe she is still here to be honest, but she is and Im taking one day at a time.

So I am not going to burn my bridges so to speak, I will be at Sandown racecourse this saturday as planned.

And when I have a drink with you expats, I will be toasting my lovely mum who is the bravest woman I know.

We dont know what the future holds for any of us, but if there is a God out there, thank you for not taking my mum.

Samantha

Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:43 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia, Mum and me

wow..
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
As you know, I am working very hard on my TRA stuff with my one track mind directed on getting into Australia.

I was at work and received a call from my sister telling me my dear sweet mum had collapsed.

My boss paid for me to get a taxi from North Acton to Hemel Hempstead (Thanks for that).

Arriving in rescusitation, my little old mum was in heart and lung failure and kidney failure. Her oxygen saturation was 70 percent instead of 99 percent and she was so confused she didnt know us.

Doctors told us they didnt think they could do anymore for mum and we prepared ourselves for the worst.

She was transferred to the acute assessment unit and she seemed like an old lady all of a sudden. Going from a sharp intelligent woman to a frail old lady.

I sat and fed her with tears pouring down my face wishing I had visited her more, told her I loved her more, just been better at caring for her.

One week on and my mum is still alive. She has a disease called COPD and her kidneys are now working again. We are waiting for the results of some fluid taken off her lungs.

Her oxygen levels are 94 percent although she cant maintain it without oxygen via a mask nor can she walk round the bed.

When I saw her the other day I said 'Am I too old for a cuddle?' and she said 'no, you will always be my baby' and then wrapped her tiny arms around me.

'You do know how much I love you mum' I told her and she smiled and said she did.

Yes I thought I knew the score of when you migrate at some stage you will lose a loved one.

But every single time I close my eyes, I see her wired up to the vital signs monitor, blue around her mouth and re-live the feeling of her leaving me.

I can't believe she is still here to be honest, but she is and Im taking one day at a time.

So I am not going to burn my bridges so to speak, I will be at Sandown racecourse this saturday as planned.

And when I have a drink with you expats, I will be toasting my lovely mum who is the bravest woman I know.

We dont know what the future holds for any of us, but if there is a God out there, thank you for not taking my mum.

Samantha

ive got tears dripping off my face. you poor thing x

now im crying full on. this is something i keep going back to all the time - my parents. can i/can't i?? and then there's our little girls - whats best for them? oh christ - bring on time travel!! massive karma on its way
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:48 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If our parents were in the UK we`d be staying here. In fact, we don`t really want to go back to Perth but that`s where they are and we know it`s the best thing as a family, especially for our babies to grow up a little while with their grandparents before they die (the grandparents that is ).

If it was just us we`d stay in the UK. Such is life.....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:51 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Rooksie
ive got tears dripping off my face. you poor thing x

now im crying full on. this is something i keep going back to all the time - my parents. can i/can't i?? and then there's our little girls - whats best for them? oh christ - bring on time travel!! massive karma on its way

Weird things have happened Rooksie.

A few weeks ago I would have bent over backwards to please the TRA and it would have been the end of my world to have been refused.

Priorities have changed and thats not to say I wasnt serious in the first place.

I am nearly finished with the employer statements and will prepare my application honestly and to the best of my ability.

I still want to live in Australia but if the TRA wont accept us then its not the end of my world.

I hope to start a nursing course in september too.

So my life goes on but where as it was once the TRA that took up my waking thoughts and my agent Alan taking up my sleeping ones, this has all been replaced.

Because the one person that takes up my thoughts and I love so much it hurts, is my mum.

Its not the end of the world if the TRA don't give you their approval.

To have my mum around is far more important.

However, I am still continuing with my application. Its just that I view things differently now.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Weird things have happened Rooksie.

A few weeks ago I would have bent over backwards to please the TRA and it would have been the end of my world to have been refused.

Priorities have changed and thats not to say I wasnt serious in the first place.

I am nearly finished with the employer statements and will prepare my application honestly and to the best of my ability.

I still want to live in Australia but if the TRA wont accept us then its not the end of my world.

I hope to start a nursing course in september too.

So my life goes on but where as it was once the TRA that took up my waking thoughts and my agent Alan taking up my sleeping ones, this has all been replaced.

Because the one person that takes up my thoughts and I love so much it hurts, is my mum.

Its not the end of the world if the TRA don't give you their approval.

To have my mum around is far more important.

However, I am still continuing with my application. Its just that I view things differently now.

well hopefully we will bump into you on saturday - we are staying at premier travel inn thingy and going to be nextdoor (cant remember name!!!) in the evening. J
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:02 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Rooksie
well hopefully we will bump into you on saturday - we are staying at premier travel inn thingy and going to be nextdoor (cant remember name!!!) in the evening. J

Thats where we are staying too.

Its my first day back at work and I havent done any.

I cant concentrate and would so dearly like to lie down and sleep.

Right Samantha, get off your fat backside and do some work.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stormz
If our parents were in the UK we`d be staying here. In fact, we don`t really want to go back to Perth but that`s where they are and we know it`s the best thing as a family, especially for our babies to grow up a little while with their grandparents before they die (the grandparents that is ).

If it was just us we`d stay in the UK. Such is life.....

i really cant say what is best for us at the moment - all i know is that my husband and i have banged on about australia for twenty years + and now we are in a position (finally) to be able to do something about it. at least this way we have two options available to us and can always come back if things dont work out or we are homesick but we have at least got to try. ideally, my parents would come out and visit for long periods although we will prbably have to pay!! but so be it!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:11 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Samantha
Oh Sam. I really love you , you know?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:17 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Oh Sam. I really love you , you know?

Thank you

I havent done any work at all, I cant concentrate.

Ive been looking at my jobs list and I cant bloody do it.

Funny, yesterday I grabbed my TRA stuff and got stuck into it, hubby came home and was astonished to see his tired pale wife typing at 70 wpm doing TRA.

After everything thats happened, TRA is easy.

I have my phone clipped to my belt and jump everytime it rings.

How are things with you?

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:20 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Samantha
Hi Sam, only time will tell what's best for any of us.

Wishing you all the best that time can bring.

Carl
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:29 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

I havent done any work at all, I cant concentrate.

Ive been looking at my jobs list and I cant bloody do it.

Funny, yesterday I grabbed my TRA stuff and got stuck into it, hubby came home and was astonished to see his tired pale wife typing at 70 wpm doing TRA.

After everything thats happened, TRA is easy.

I have my phone clipped to my belt and jump everytime it rings.

How are things with you?
We are going well that - our TRA resubmission is ready to go.... let me know if you want a copy for reference hun!

Give me a call tonight of you want hun, if you want to chat to somebody about everything.

*here for you*

Claire
xxxxx
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:35 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Samantha
Hi Samantha
I'm sorry to hear about your mum as clearly it's been a very difficult time for both of you, not forgetting your dad and siblings. I'm just so pleased your mum has pulled through and although not quite out of the water she sounds like a tough cookie with a survival instinct [hey...wonder where you get it from ]

On the note of you staying in UK rather than coming to Aus due to this terrible incident; I wonder what you would do if it was you and your daughter wanted to start a new life in Aus? Would you expect your girl to give up her dream? to not improve her lot in life? to stay on the basis you might not get well and she be left wondering "what if"....or worse....your daughter looking after you whilst she should be enjoying her life?

Everyone has their own view of what's best for them & their family and there is no right or wrong Samantha. It's what's right for you, your values,and your ideas of how to run your life and everyone is different. No one should feel guilty for taking whatever decision they feel is best but at the end of the day the reality is you have to live with yourself and so does your mum.

From my experience my mum begged us to come to Aus when we found out a week before coming here that she was ill and needed an urgent operation. I wanted to stay for all the reasons you mention Sam and my mum said if I did, it would be the most selfish thing I could do. She said she would feel selfish having stopped us doing what we'd dreamed of for so long, what we'd lived, eaten and slept for and that as a mother she wanted us to live that dream. Mum said every parent wants their kids to do better than them and to embrace life full on without the shackles of family pulling them back. The most unselfish thing Mum said was "I didn't have kids so they could look after me, and one day we've all got to go anyway, whether you live in UK or Aus, I know I couldn't have a better daughter to love". No matter how hard I bargained she insisted I go. I realised if I didn't go she would feel guilty for ever and a day due to me staying ...and yet I knew I'd feel guilty for ever and a day due to me going....so we both had to compromise on the guilt trip [whoever said emigrating would be easy...pah]

So we landed in Aus with real heavy hearts I can tell you. I promised my mum and dad and myself I would try hard to make it work and whenever I felt down days I remember what my mum [and dad] have done to make it possible and it really does put things into perspective.

Thankfully for us after the op mum is now *OK*, Both mum and dad came for a 3 month holiday and they had a time of their life I was knackered

The morale of the story Sam is only you, your mum, your hubby and family can decide what's best. And you each have to contribute to the success of whatever decision you make without feeling guilty. Staying in UK or going to Aus is down to you but whichever way you go.....make the right decision and stick with it and be succesfull. Don't become a martyr

Here's a toast to your mums health....and for her having such a lovely caring daughter and good luck to y'all

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Thats where we are staying too.

Its my first day back at work and I havent done any.

I cant concentrate and would so dearly like to lie down and sleep.

Right Samantha, get off your fat backside and do some work.

Ummmm, im obviously missing something but why are you just sending off your TRA now? there's obviously a story as youve so many posts so lets have it??!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:42 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Samantha
Oh Sam, my families thoughts go out to you and yours, just keep ya pecker up girl...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.