Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Old May 15th 2010, 11:39 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Originally Posted by loz
Its as expensive as you want to make it.........................we haven't had a problem.
Been here nearly 4 years, have a beautiful house, decent pre-loved car, eat out at least once a week,can afford weekends away and holidays and certainly don't scrimp on food and drinks etc and we haven't got mega paying jobs.
I work in a pharmacy and hubby works for QLD government but our standard of living is way above what we had in the UK.

Public transport is much cheaper as is fuel, utilities are way cheaper, and if you are a canny shopper (not buying everything from Aldi........in fact we don't use Aldi) your food bill need not be huge. We find fresh meat and seafood cheaper and a lot better quality.
oh, Aldi. We only have Woolworths and Coles and they don't seem to want to compete with each other.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Quality costs more
Yeah the house build quality is truely world class here
Old May 16th 2010, 12:04 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

There's nothing like brick veneer (or as thin).
Old May 16th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Short answer "No". Go and live in Norway. Then you'd have something to moan about.
Old May 16th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

You need a family income of at least $100K just to get by in Perth. This is with a mortgage or rent around the $500 a week. Take home on a $100K salary is around $1400 a week. $900 a week left for food, fuel, bills, extras like clothing, shoes.

If you add private schools fees, private medical insurance, life, illness, trauma insurance then add another $20K approx on top.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:03 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
oh, Aldi. We only have Woolworths and Coles and they don't seem to want to compete with each other.
Foodland ls by far your best shop in sth Aust............mm
Old May 16th 2010, 1:07 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

We've been here 10 years and seen prices rise to a certain extent.

Not gonna moan about it though.
It's worth it by payback of quality of life.

We worked like hell to pay off our debts in the UK asap,we don't live on credit.

Shopping around helps here.

After all it is a different country and things are different here.

If people just came over because it was cheap and they thought it would fund a mega lifestyle I reckon they are in for trouble.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I certainly think so, been in Victoria for 6 weeks and compared to the UK I have not found a single thing cheaper except for fuel. You need to be earning megabucks to buy even the basic of items here,food is x2-4 times more expensive. Public transport is almost non-existent and forget owning a new car unless you're lucky to win the lottery. I thought the UK was bad for exploitation, even worse here.
Not the most expensive but well in the top five!
Old May 16th 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Already created...it's called Brisbane
Your so right. Can you imagine the place without the good weather. If the economy goes to crap i reckon there will be people queing in the departure lounge.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:45 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

OZ is the best country in the world so maybe thats why its the most expensive
Old May 16th 2010, 1:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
OZ is the best country in the world so maybe thats why its the most expensive
Attached Thumbnails Australia the most expensive country in the World?-broken-record.jpg  
Old May 16th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
You need a family income of at least $100K just to get by in Perth. This is with a mortgage or rent around the $500 a week. Take home on a $100K salary is around $1400 a week. $900 a week left for food, fuel, bills, extras like clothing, shoes.

If you add private schools fees, private medical insurance, life, illness, trauma insurance then add another $20K approx on top.
I think you're right.

You can do it for less but you'd either have to have a very low mortgage or live in an undesirable area.

A rental/mortgage of about $500 week and $100K would not leave much for extras - holidays would probably be a bit of a rarity.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:25 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by mr mover
Foodland ls by far your best shop in sth Aust............mm
Only problem is I only end up with half my shopping list, as they don't usually have the whole range. So it ends up with me going to 2 supermarkets.

Last edited by coolshadows; May 16th 2010 at 2:33 am.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:31 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
Your so right. Can you imagine the place without the good weather. If the economy goes to crap i reckon there will be people queing in the departure lounge.
You don't have to queue now?

Jesus, airport staff are good these days.

Last edited by DeadVim; May 16th 2010 at 2:33 am. Reason: 'cos some pedant will point out that check-in is before the 'departure lounge' and my wit, such as it is, will be diminished
Old May 16th 2010, 3:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I certainly think so, been in Victoria for 6 weeks and compared to the UK I have not found a single thing cheaper except for fuel. You need to be earning megabucks to buy even the basic of items here,food is x2-4 times more expensive. Public transport is almost non-existent and forget owning a new car unless you're lucky to win the lottery. I thought the UK was bad for exploitation, even worse here.
But why compare in the first place?

Im sorry but it makes absolutely no sense to compare prices to England. I have a fat mortgage and a 3 bedroom duplex, it aint a palace but at least we are buying it and its our home.

I could never ever have afforded a house back in England and yes, we enjoyed the first home buyers grant and the 2 grand from REIBA, so while we have a big mortgage, we are still paying our way and enjoying our lives with what is on offer to us where we live now and not in England.

You make the best and adapt to what you have here but to keep comparing to the UK will get you nowhere.

And no I am not on megabucks either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.