Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia maps for TomTom Sat-Navs

Australia maps for TomTom Sat-Navs

Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:52 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia maps for TomTom Sat-Navs

Theres been a few threads about this over the last couple of weeks.

I've noticed TomTom have a sale on at the minute. The Australia map is now £39.99 reduced from £69.99

Heres the link http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/...guage=1&P=5258

Hope this helps
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia maps for TomTom Sat-Navs

On the Australian site the same version is priced at $80.

Originally Posted by perksy

I've noticed TomTom have a sale on at the minute. The Australia map is now £39.99 reduced from £69.99

Hope this helps
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:00 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Anyone with a Nokia N95 phone wanting to use TomTom - let me know I'm happy to talk you through the install (its SOOO much better than the Nokia Maps and much cheaper than buying a dedicated device)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perksy
Theres been a few threads about this over the last couple of weeks.

Hope this helps
Thats cheap but still £39.99 more than my hubby 'paid' for his
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get "free" ones?

Where I live there are a lot of ongoing road changes (some completed) that are not refelcted on the map I have (bought the Tom Tom a few months ago).

I believe there may be (or about to be) a November 2008 map udate; don't know if the "sale" is on the earlier map

Originally Posted by TMRE
Thats cheap but still £39.99 more than my hubby 'paid' for his
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I would not rely on one, give me a map any day. Friends of mine were using one to come from Mornington to our place and we had road works so they could not come their usual way, my friend put it in and we waited and waited for them to arrive, they phoned us we had to drive down and show them the way.

Another lady one day was using one and she was miles away from where she wanted to be, I drove in front of her and took her down to Tyabb where she wanted to be.

My other friends say their's drives them mad they have to switch it off as it wants to take them the long way round to everything.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:47 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by Petals
I would not rely on one, give me a map any day.

I think it depends which one you use. Tom Tom are supposedly faster at recalcing routes than Navman I hear, for example.

I have watched GPS in taxis and some brands pick the strangest of routes by insisting on staying on the nearest major roads instead of taking a "best" route.

My gripe is that there are some major road changes occurring near me for which I need to buy new maps in the future.

As an example, I was on the Sunshine Coast motorway the other day and the Tom Tom thought it was a 2 way road whereas it is now two separate carriageways (total 4 lanes); that makes taking the correct exits a bit difficult. At one poiint I ended driving on the new road into the airport; which was a field on the Tom TOm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 4:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I think it depends which one you use. Tom Tom are supposedly faster at recalcing routes than Navman I hear, for example.

I have watched GPS in taxis and some brands pick the strangest of routes by insisting on staying on the nearest major roads instead of taking a "best" route.

My gripe is that there are some major road changes occurring near me for which I need to buy new maps in the future.

As an example, I was on the Sunshine Coast motorway the other day and the Tom Tom thought it was a 2 way road whereas it is now two separate carriageways (total 4 lanes); that makes taking the correct exits a bit difficult. At one poiint I ended driving on the new road into the airport; which was a field on the Tom TOm.
Yea, they are only as accurate as the map data on them. But at least with the latest TomToms you can download user corrections to tide you over until Sensis pull their fingers out of their collective arse and update the main map.

Also I was interested to note that the big cities here in Oz are getting the traffic data finally which means smart re-routing according to traffic density.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
On the Australian site the same version is priced at $80.
So about the same price then,

Seriously though being new to an area my tom tom has been a godsend, going for interviews and meet ups etc.

Last edited by JAMMIE DODGER; Dec 19th 2008 at 12:34 am.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
So about the same price then,

Seriously though being new to an area my tom tom has been a godsend, going for interviews and meet ups etc.
Wouldn't be without one.

Made our arrival much easier. I've been to some weird places. I can read a map very well but there are times when just having it there if you take a wrong turn is fantastic.

The thing about major roads is that SOR in WA travelling on a major road is that you can just choose the most direct route. Have your map by all means but these things are great. We've had guests use ours and have been more confident to go places knowing they will always know where they are even. Don't expect them to be 100% and you haven't got a problem, expect them to be better than a map then your asking for disappointment.

How often do you buy an up to date map then? I know that my house in the UK was not showing in the latest publications for about 2 years!!! How's that any different to a tomtom.