Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - Making the Decision....

Wikiposts

Australia - Making the Decision....

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:04 am
Just Joined

kittyorkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia - Making the Decision....

From someone who has done the move...
For anyone in doubt: I think if you are keen enough to consider embarking on the visa process, you should definately give it a try. It's not a one-way trip and could be the experience of your life even if you do return home. But it does really depend on what type of person you are - I am actually quite envious sometimes of my friends who are quite content to stay in their home town and settle down.

It’s important to know what makes you happy. If you had to list 5 things that you need to be happy – do you have them here? Will you have them in Oz? I've always said that “Friends” is one of my top priorities – yet I left Oz! Truth is, my friends in Oz will always be there for me as if nothing changed, and I have also made new friends who I will also have for life.

I came to the UK 8 years ago with the plan to stay 1-2 years (for my career). The first 3 months were the worst: I arrived alone, knew very few people, got terribly homesick, and had my share of bad luck with things like telephone connection (or lack of it), local hooligans etc. I did have a job lined up (postdoc role on postdoc salary which in UK terms was terrible!!) But then I settled in, got a different job and really enjoyed it.

I found a great role, enjoyed living here, met a bloke and stayed a bit longer. It's only been the last 2-3 years that I've really started to miss Oz, and I really do believe that the quality of life (not standard of living) is better in Oz than the UK. The latest stats from the UN list Australia 3rd in the world on a combination of various factors that they call “Human Development Index”. The UK is listed at number 15. In terms of health/life expectancy, it's suprising too: ranked 5th, whereas the UK is ranked 23rd! I miss “space” the most, but also large homes/gardens, sun, warmth, and eye contact!! Seemingly little things, most of which I never noticed for the first few years (initially all I missed –other than friends and family- were cherry ripes, chocolate, and twisties which were supplied on regular shipments before discovering the “Australia Shop” in London).

Now I’m going back, but I’ll never regret a second of my time in the UK. I feel very lucky that I’ve had the chance and courage to get an experience that, on the whole, few people actually get.

But often you need to return home to see what you had. There was a stage years ago where companies in Oz were offering 2-way tickets to employees to migrate. Apparently, they found that people generally got homesick and wanted to go home, but if you gave them that opportunity they'd soon realise once back in the UK that their memories were rose-tinted and they returned again.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kittyorkat
For anyone in doubt: I think if you are keen enough to consider embarking on the visa process, you should definately give it a try. It's not a one-way trip and could be the experience of your life even if you do return home. But it does really depend on what type of person you are - I am actually quite envious sometimes of my friends who are quite content to stay in their home town and settle down.

It’s important to know what makes you happy. If you had to list 5 things that you need to be happy – do you have them here? Will you have them in Oz? I've always said that “Friends” is one of my top priorities – yet I left Oz! Truth is, my friends in Oz will always be there for me as if nothing changed, and I have also made new friends who I will also have for life.

I came to the UK 8 years ago with the plan to stay 1-2 years (for my career). The first 3 months were the worst: I arrived alone, knew very few people, got terribly homesick, and had my share of bad luck with things like telephone connection (or lack of it), local hooligans etc. I did have a job lined up (postdoc role on postdoc salary which in UK terms was terrible!!) But then I settled in, got a different job and really enjoyed it.

I found a great role, enjoyed living here, met a bloke and stayed a bit longer. It's only been the last 2-3 years that I've really started to miss Oz, and I really do believe that the quality of life (not standard of living) is better in Oz than the UK. The latest stats from the UN list Australia 3rd in the world on a combination of various factors that they call “Human Development Index”. The UK is listed at number 15. In terms of health/life expectancy, it's suprising too: ranked 5th, whereas the UK is ranked 23rd! I miss “space” the most, but also large homes/gardens, sun, warmth, and eye contact!! Seemingly little things, most of which I never noticed for the first few years (initially all I missed –other than friends and family- were cherry ripes, chocolate, and twisties which were supplied on regular shipments before discovering the “Australia Shop” in London).

Now I’m going back, but I’ll never regret a second of my time in the UK. I feel very lucky that I’ve had the chance and courage to get an experience that, on the whole, few people actually get.

But often you need to return home to see what you had. There was a stage years ago where companies in Oz were offering 2-way tickets to employees to migrate. Apparently, they found that people generally got homesick and wanted to go home, but if you gave them that opportunity they'd soon realise once back in the UK that their memories were rose-tinted and they returned again.
Sending you karma for an impressive 1st post . Sounds like you've got a great attitude to life!
TJ
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Just edited the post Julie, read the nasty thread someone had started earlier.

I for one will never mention my mum on here again. Serves me right I suppose for the 'woe is me' type posts.

Anyway, back to the orignal topic, I reckon we should always grab our opportunities.

I would grab John Howards testicles on a plate if he put them in front of me.
But we want to hear how your mum is PP. Ignore the idiots, they are not worth it. I look forward to your posts as they always hit home or make me laugh, you write brilliantly
off to do more packing now, leaving in 12 days OMG
jacqui
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:31 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Sam, there is such a saying as 'freedom of speech'
you have rights as much as any other person on here, so can I ask you to carry on posting about anything and especially let us know how your mam is doin hun.

Take care and dont let the git get ou down
Ang
couldn't agree with you more......

every1 has their ups n down - and the big moves proves very stressful and emotional at time, especially this time of year when we long for loved ones back home..... many a time i have posted a more personal thread on here.... having no family over here I kinda used the forum as my extended family if you know what i mean...... there is always some one around with a shoulder! - lets face it we need all the friends we can get even if it is only via the net sometimes......for such support.

so much time can be wasted thinking about others - life is too short there is always gonna be 1 bad banana in the bunch - but there are many caring people who are willing to listen....

take care boomie
x
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:34 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
I wasn't meaning to attack . I find it difficult to change my opinions on posts that don't exist though . You are in the fortunate position of experiencing life in both countries and it is good that you have had a good experience in both. Hopefully when I've been in Aus a while I'll be able to see the good points in both countries and decide from there where I really want to be.

I do understand the point you were putting across, especially the living life in limbo part. We shouldn't take the things we have forgranted.
TJ
Before you go - meditate over this point.....you might of read about the family refused because of a sons medical condition....do you think a country that callous and business-minded could really have all the answers???
When coming to horrible UK-I was asked absolutely nothing about my kids health or mine, nothing-and we got healthcare cards on arrival-think about it.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Breezey
Before you go - meditate over this point.....you might of read about the family refused because of a sons medical condition....do you think a country that callous and business-minded could really have all the answers???
When coming to horrible UK-I was asked absolutely nothing about my kids health or mine, nothing-and we got healthcare cards on arrival-think about it.
Absolutely. I think you'll find that I haven't disagreed with any of the points you have made . I feel for the family in question, and if you read my post on that thread you will notice that we may be in the same position as them. In addition, if you re-read my posts on this thread you will see that I have stated that I too, like the 'horrible UK', I live in a lovely area in Scotland and am proud of my heritage. I don't believe that Australia holds any 'answers' for us as we don't have any questions. If our visa is refused then it just wasn't meant to be. The UK is pretty unique in it's healthcare provision, and is probably something I will miss, rightly or wrongly we just want to try something new.

TJ

Sam, I feel like I have completely hijacked your lovely topic, sorry but I seem to have offended someone . Hope to hear good news about your mum soon. Keep your chin up, you're being very brave.

Last edited by The Johnstons; Nov 23rd 2005 at 9:26 am. Reason: Hijack
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Absolutely. I think you'll find that I haven't disagreed with any of the points you have made . I feel for the family in question, and if you read my post on that thread you will notice that we may be in the same position as them. In addition, if you re-read my posts on this thread you will see that I have stated that I too, like the 'horrible UK', I live in a lovely area in Scotland and am proud of my heritage. I don't believe that Australia holds any 'answers' for us as we don't have any questions. If our visa is refused then it just wasn't meant to be. The UK is pretty unique in it's healthcare provision, and is probably something I will miss, rightly or wrongly we just want to try something new.

TJ

Sam, I feel like I have completely hijacked your lovely topic, sorry but I seem to have offended someone . Hope to hear good news about your mum soon. Keep your chin up, you're being very brave.

Well you certainly sound balanced. BTW As it happened one member of the family did have a medical condition and in the five minute immigration process(oh and the High commision staff apologised for even that) it was completely ignored, as there are no medical criteria anyway.
And sure enough, and soon enough, treatment was recieved and hospitals and after-visits etc -all on NHS-and we werent treated a shred different than anyone else.
So is it a suprise that I find bemusing those that bag the UK. And possibly find annoying those that don't appreciate what they have.

Last edited by Breezey; Nov 23rd 2005 at 10:03 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kittyorkat

Good Post
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Breezey
Before you go - meditate over this point.....you might of read about the family refused because of a sons medical condition
Not to mention apparently make a habit of deporting seriously ill people with PR. Or even citizenship. Cornelia Rau, Elvira Salon and now http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1516207.htm

Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Banksia
Not to mention apparently make a habit of deporting seriously ill people with PR. Or even citizenship. Cornelia Rau, Elvira Salon and now http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1516207.htm

Cheers
I think that story takes the cake-it is a disgrace-the arrogance is unbelievable.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:41 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Soapy, evidently I have upset a few people on the forum with my Mum thread. Funny how you think you are amongst friends.

I got so desperate I didnt know what to do and so wrote it on BE, either rightly or wrongly who knows.

So it wasnt a 'woe is me' thread, it was desperation, which we deal with in our own way. Forgive me for depressing you.

Blog gone, and mum updates gone.

The likes of you soapy, bundy (who is fab) and too many to mention, you are wicked people, I love chatting to you.

But isnt it funny with some on this site, they ask for advice, they enjoy some of the posts, but heaven forbid when someone needs help. Cant have it all ways.

If anyone wants to PM me to explain why they think I am a 'woe is me' person, don't bother because I wont reply to you.

I would help any of my 'friends' on this site, whether it be by PM or via a thread and would never judge someone if they posted a 'cry for help' thread.

Anyway soapy, I should start that Christmas story so I can get your white botty up there where it belongs.

bugger, I must contact Packard Bell, Ive only had my laptop for a year and a half and it keeps overheating.

Just call me hot stuff.
I totally agree with you PP, there are some nasty b*s*a*r*s on this site!

In my 'opinion' they don't deserve to be allowed to emigrate to Australia