Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - Making the Decision....

Wikiposts

Australia - Making the Decision....

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - Making the Decision....

Originally Posted by Breezey
1. Funny how the English thought nothing of snatching entire continents(Australia included) from people-but dare post a comment(or two) on one of "their" websites-and we do get territorial.

2.I did actually say I have no idea why Brits would want to go to Oz. I am not trying to understand either, although I don't think British culture is oh-so impenetratable..to an Australian.....wait or do you think-you can understand us (because we are colonials) but us not you(dumb colonials)

3.I was trying to make PP feel better-as if to say "its not the end of the world if you can't go to Oz"(ie my intentions were noble). I meant to show her that some people even think the UK is better.

4. One thing Australia could do without is people like you.
Sorry - re-read your post - it's even funnier than I thought.

1. I think it's fair to say that none of the Brits currently posting on this site 'snatched entire continents', any more than your parents are loaf-stealing crims from Liverpool.
2. Do your homework before you wheel out the trusty old 'colonial' cliches.
3. Could have saved a lot of time and effort then, by saying 'some people even think the UK is better'.
4. See above.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:05 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

"speaking different languages"
That was certainly something that I sorted out pretty quickly but I think that by "joining in" I became slowly but surely of the same mindset, without realising it. The realisation hit when 2 things happened:
1. I asked my parents if I'd changed and rather than getting something along the lines of "you're a lot more mature" I got "you're a lot more angry and cynical"
2. I read an extract of A A Gill's book "The Angry Island". To quote: "The English are naturally, congenitally, collectively and singularly, livid much of the time"
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:09 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fnord
Interesting. Would you say even more than London (not the UK as a whole)?
Obviously London is about as tolerant of differences as a place can be.
But in subtle ways there are "codes of behaviour" people are expected to conform to.
And you can never forget you are in the UK in London.
Beyond tolerating different sexual-orientations, different religions, viewpoints cross-dressing-Australia just tolerates you being any which way you want-especially in the workplace.
No place lets you "do-your-own-thing" like Oz. have a bad day, swear at any and every one in the office and it gets forgotten tomorrow-try doing that here. Australia is just a less inhibiting or inhibited place. Its just very easygoing.
Anyway thats my opinion.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're persistent, if nothing else. However you seem to be missing one rather obvious point. Glance up to the top of your web browser window and you'll see the words 'British Expats' - you're not a British Expat. You weren't, as you mentioned serveral times, born and raised here. Everything you do and say is coloured by the fact that you were born in Australia. You therefore have marginally-less-than-zero idea of why people from this country would choose to move to Australia.

It amazes you that anyone from the UK would choose to move to Australia because you're not British - you have no idea of what shapes our lives here through childhood, adolesence and on into our working and then retirement lives. You have no idea what pushes everyone's buttons, what motivates us, what leads us to wish to pursue our lives down-under. And I have to say, given the number of posts you've made in this thread alone, I think the chances of you 'getting it' are a million-to-one - so save everyone your negative rhetoric and try posting something useful instead.

I don't agree with breezey at all but have refrained from commenting (also Australian, dual national though, lived here longer, suspected I would get this type of response); I do think that everyone is entitled to their opinion though and shouldn't be shouted down with your not British, your opinion counts for less than zero etc. Providing someone is not trolling or abusive the more the merrier I say. Someone else has also commented that they welcome a 'down under/reverse' point of view.

OzTennis
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:15 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Shame that, me being Australian and all.
Ivan Milat was Australian, we still could have done without him.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I don't agree with breezey at all

OzTennis

I didnt think I was arguing any particular point.
All I said was "pp-dont feel bad, some people, with a fair bit of experience of both places, prefer where you are."
So what exactly don't you agree with?
"Some people...prefer where you are"
or "Don't feel bad|"
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt think I was arguing any particular point.
All I said was "pp-dont feel bad , some peole , whith a fair bit of experience of both places, prefer where you are."
So what exactly don't you agree with.
"Some people...prefer where you are"
or "Don't feel bad|"
I got the impression although I didn't read them in detail that it was 'I come from Australia, I'm in the UK now, believe me you are probably better off in the UK BUT it might just be me'. My disagreement was not that the UK is any better or worse, it's just different and different lifestyle etc is what attracts a lot of people (going offline so can't respond further)

OzTennis
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:45 am
Banned

Sorry - re-read your post - it's even funnier than I thought.

1. I think it's fair to say that none of the Brits currently posting on this site 'snatched entire continents', any more than your parents are loaf-stealing crims from Liverpool.
2. Do your homework before you wheel out the trusty old 'colonial' cliches.
3. Could have saved a lot of time and effort then, by saying 'some people even think the UK is better'.
4. See above.
Firstly I am certain that some of my ancestors were at least, loaf stealing crims-and some actually a tad less respectable than that (I understand one kept brothels)
But I must say I dont entirely buy into this " none of the Brits currently posting on this site 'snatched entire continents'".
And this goes for Australians too.
We are still snatching continents and countries-all of us.
For instance you probably have a pension plan-right? and quite possibly it includes a share component-which might include shares with Rio Tinto-a company that for pure profit rapes Irian Jaya(wheres that?) and disposseses its native people-quite ruthlessly.
So we can all retire in comfort.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:13 am
Banned

Last edited by Breezey; Nov 23rd 2005 at 4:20 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow do not know what to say ,makes you think doesn' t it.!
Have to agree with petty much everything you say.
Sending you some Karma for a good thread well worth reading.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Wow do not know what to say ,makes you think doesn' t it.!
Have to agree with petty much everything you say.
Sending you some Karma for a good thread well worth reading.
you mean you agreed with what I just wrote....
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

you mean you agreed with what I just wrote....
NO I think I have posted on the wrong thread whoops!!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Breezey....So it boils down to...you are an Australian who prefers to live in the UK, and (the majority) of people here are Brits/Australians who prefer to live in Australia? So what's the argument?? Horses for courses and all that . I for one am glad you've found somewhere you love to live, and since you've travelled so far to find it, who's to say it's wrong for us to do it too?

Entertaining thread

TJ
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Breezey....So it boils down to...you are an Australian who prefers to live in the UK, and (the majority) of people here are Brits/Australians who prefer to live in Australia? So what's the argument?? Horses for courses and all that . I for one am glad you've found somewhere you love to live, and since you've travelled so far to find it, who's to say it's wrong for us to do it too?

Entertaining thread

TJ
Well if you would have read the post I deleted, you might have seen why it might be wrong for you do it.
But seriously-I was merely trying to cheer PP up-I dont doubt that Australia might be better for some-and whats good for one person might not be good for another-and all that.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Well if you would have read the post I deleted, you might have seen why it might be wrong for you do it.
But seriously-I was merely trying to cheer PP up-I dont doubt that Australia might be better for some-and whats good for one person might not be good for another-and all that.
I wasn't meaning to attack . I find it difficult to change my opinions on posts that don't exist though . You are in the fortunate position of experiencing life in both countries and it is good that you have had a good experience in both. Hopefully when I've been in Aus a while I'll be able to see the good points in both countries and decide from there where I really want to be.

I do understand the point you were putting across, especially the living life in limbo part. We shouldn't take the things we have forgranted.
TJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.