Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - Making the Decision....

Wikiposts

Australia - Making the Decision....

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:40 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia - Making the Decision....

Originally Posted by Breezey
I sure agree that "standard of living" shouldnt be a reason to move to Oz.
I think Europe has more to offer than Oz-but that is no credit to the people living there-it is merely past history.
Australians have a great attitude-the place doesnt have much "culture" or "(European) History"-but Australians make their own fun and Australia is a fun place, Becuase Australians are fun and funny people.
Europeans are miserable-with all the cities, history, cuisine etc.
In saying that, I would rather be in Europe.
But I think you gotta go to Oz for the upbeat attitude not a bigger house.
Nail on the head there, I think. It's funny, how the attitude in the UK has finally worn me down after 12 years, despite, as you say, all the great things the country has to offer. I had not problem for the first 8 or 9 years (apart from the darkness in winter) but now it seems to really get to me. A bigger house would make me happier though
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnord
Nail on the head there, I think. It's funny, how the attitude in the UK has finally worn me down after 12 years, despite, as you say, all the great things the country has to offer. I had not problem for the first 8 or 9 years (apart from the darkness in winter) but now it seems to really get to me. A bigger house would make me happier though

A bigger house would make me very happy indeed.

I love my little flat, but well, in accommodation, size matters

Neighbours is on now.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
It wasnt just him though was it?

Now I am going to make myself a cup of tea in my half pint mug. You can never have too much tea in life.

You want tea wargod?

I love my tea.

Tea, white with two sweeteners.
I am ringing Scuba tomorrow, scuba did not use user name, I hope people dont stop airing their problems on here just because of one moron who probably is not happy with his own life. PP please let us know how your mum is going , we really do care, Denise
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
I am ringing Scuba tomorrow, scuba did not use user name, I hope people dont stop airing their problems on here just because of one moron who probably is not happy with his own life. PP please let us know how your mum is going , we really do care, Denise
Thing is though, several agreed with the troll that posted it.

I am calling the OP a troll because his post was meant to upset and cause trouble.

I felt quite dizzy reading it, I was so desperate last week, I posted about my Mum because I didnt know what to do.

So it appears that other people agreed.

Now, speaking for myself, I have advised loads of people on this site, spoken to some, met some in person.

I have written stories - funny/rude ones and tried to cheer people up with them, they were received well and I have had loads of nice comments about them.

I have defended people, even isolated myself in doing so.

On this site, you take the rough with the smooth and if someones posts depress you, dont read it but certainly dont back up that guy who posted that offensive crap. And remember that for every depressive post someone posts, there are at least 3 that are posted to help someone.

Friendship comes in all forms and so should the ability to see through something when a post labelled as depressive, it is really a call for an online hug or help.

Tell that girl if she fancies a chat, I would be more than willing to be her friend.

Yours 'woe is not me' Samantha
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Due to work commitments I dont always find the time to browse the site therefore i dont really know what has happened here. However I do get really pi**ed off with the nastiness of some posters!! If you dont like what someone posts then dont bother reading it!! Why do some people then reply with such nastiness. We have seen it all before, with Jill (GO Bananas) whom no longer posts and more recently with Bridie( Hope I spelt that right)
We all supported Bundy (havent heard from her for a while) so why cant we be there for PP???????
I know how low she can be feeling as I too had a member of my family terminally ill.
Although I really needed help and support I was too scared to post my thoughts and feelings on here, just in case some twat took offence and got nasty!!

All the very best PP

Love Sandra
xx
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Due to work commitments I dont always find the time to browse the site therefore i dont really know what has happened here. However I do get really pi**ed off with the nastiness of some posters!! If you dont like what someone posts then dont bother reading it!! Why do some people then reply with such nastiness. We have seen it all before, with Jill (GO Bananas) whom no longer posts and more recently with Bridie( Hope I spelt that right)
We all supported Bundy (havent heard from her for a while) so why cant we be there for PP???????
I know how low she can be feeling as I too had a member of my family terminally ill.
Although I really needed help and support I was too scared to post my thoughts and feelings on here, just in case some twat took offence and got nasty!!

All the very best PP

Love Sandra
xx

I spoke to bundys partner the other day, hes a lovely guy.

But sad though it is Sandra, several agreed with the OP.

Ive just spoken to Mum, she said she feels ill, so exhausted. Im seeing her tomorrow.

Just you remember you have my number.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:07 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

The other funny thing about Australia-despite the oft discussed point, how Australians will constantly go on about "Australia being the best country in the world"-Australia would be one of the few countries,where you can actually forget you are in a country-individualism and individual freedom is so pronounced, people just live in their own little worlds-utterly detached from any corporate entity-I mean, people there just do not give a rats what you do as long as you dont build something that blocks their view.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:12 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Although it is scary that after 12 years it has worn you down-I am here five and thought I had well gotten used to it, I had come to see it as not so much an attitude problem but "speaking different languages" ie when a Pom whinges, is negative or pessimistic or just plain unhelpful it really means "all is well".
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:15 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Australia would be one of the few countries,where you can actually forget you are in a country-individualism and individual freedom is so pronounced.
Interesting. Would you say even more than London (not the UK as a whole)?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Although it is scary that after 12 years it has worn you down-I am here five and thought I had well gotten used to it, I had come to see it as not so much an attitude problem but "speaking different languages" ie when a Pom whinges, is negative or pessimistic or just plain unhelpful it really means "all is well".
You're persistent, if nothing else. However you seem to be missing one rather obvious point. Glance up to the top of your web browser window and you'll see the words 'British Expats' - you're not a British Expat. You weren't, as you mentioned serveral times, born and raised here. Everything you do and say is coloured by the fact that you were born in Australia. You therefore have marginally-less-than-zero idea of why people from this country would choose to move to Australia.

It amazes you that anyone from the UK would choose to move to Australia because you're not British - you have no idea of what shapes our lives here through childhood, adolesence and on into our working and then retirement lives. You have no idea what pushes everyone's buttons, what motivates us, what leads us to wish to pursue our lives down-under. And I have to say, given the number of posts you've made in this thread alone, I think the chances of you 'getting it' are a million-to-one - so save everyone your negative rhetoric and try posting something useful instead.

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:49 am
is the donut hole

Originally Posted by Hutch
...try posting something useful instead.
I disagree totally (but then I would, wouldn't I). It is extremely useful to get an opinion from the other side of the fence. This poster is someone who has moved the other direction, understands "flip side" of the settling process and has grown up in the country that people want to migrate to. I think this gives many people an insight (and alternative view) on moving to OZ.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Thing is though, several agreed with the troll that posted it.

I am calling the OP a troll because his post was meant to upset and cause trouble.

I felt quite dizzy reading it, I was so desperate last week, I posted about my Mum because I didnt know what to do.

So it appears that other people agreed.

Now, speaking for myself, I have advised loads of people on this site, spoken to some, met some in person.

I have written stories - funny/rude ones and tried to cheer people up with them, they were received well and I have had loads of nice comments about them.

I have defended people, even isolated myself in doing so.

On this site, you take the rough with the smooth and if someones posts depress you, dont read it but certainly dont back up that guy who posted that offensive crap. And remember that for every depressive post someone posts, there are at least 3 that are posted to help someone.

Friendship comes in all forms and so should the ability to see through something when a post labelled as depressive, it is really a call for an online hug or help.

Tell that girl if she fancies a chat, I would be more than willing to be her friend.

Yours 'woe is not me' Samantha
I always say if you cant say anything nice , dont say anything,
I will tell Scuba, and as for Bridie, she is doing really well, she came round today for a coffee, they are really settled, and are planning a great future.
I am sending you a big hug, we all need a hug from time to time, I miss my older kids so much it aches, they are at the other side of the world, if thats moaning well tough thats what i say. big hugs to you all out there who are feeling a bit down today. xxx Denise
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
You're persistent, if nothing else. However you seem to be missing one rather obvious point. Glance up to the top of your web browser window and you'll see the words 'British Expats' - you're not a British Expat. You weren't, as you mentioned serveral times, born and raised here. Everything you do and say is coloured by the fact that you were born in Australia. You therefore have marginally-less-than-zero idea of why people from this country would choose to move to Australia.

It amazes you that anyone from the UK would choose to move to Australia because you're not British - you have no idea of what shapes our lives here through childhood, adolesence and on into our working and then retirement lives. You have no idea what pushes everyone's buttons, what motivates us, what leads us to wish to pursue our lives down-under. And I have to say, given the number of posts you've made in this thread alone, I think the chances of you 'getting it' are a million-to-one - so save everyone your negative rhetoric and try posting something useful instead.

1. Funny how the English thought nothing of snatching entire continents(Australia included) from people-but dare post a comment(or two) on one of "their" websites-and we do get territorial.

2.I did actually say I have no idea why Brits would want to go to Oz. I am not trying to understand either, although I don't think British culture is oh-so impenetratable..to an Australian.....wait or do you think-you can understand us (because we are colonials) but us not you(dumb colonials)

3.I was trying to make PP feel better-as if to say "its not the end of the world if you can't go to Oz"(ie my intentions were noble). I meant to show her that some people even think the UK is better.

4. One thing Australia could do without is people like you.

Last edited by Breezey; Nov 23rd 2005 at 1:58 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree totally (but then I would, wouldn't I). It is extremely useful to get an opinion from the other side of the fence. This poster is someone who has moved the other direction, understands "flip side" of the settling process and has grown up in the country that people want to migrate to. I think this gives many people an insight (and alternative view) on moving to OZ.
How is the process of settling in the UK useful to you? Surely you need advice on the process of settling in Australia? And as I said in my original post, if he said something useful, rather than scratching his head and pointing at us strange Brits heading down-under, then his presence here could be understood.

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:59 am
Australia's Doorman

One thing Australia could do without is people like you.
Shame that, me being Australian and all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.