Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia like Usa?

Australia like Usa?

Old May 16th 2009, 2:22 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia like Usa?

United States of Australia
Old May 16th 2009, 3:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
BTW- it's not 'optional RE', which I would definitely opt mine in to and should be compulsory, it's Scripture where the default is that you're opted in and if you opt out your kid receives no education during that time.
First thing we did was opt our son out. He gets 30 minutes of closely supervised time to complete extra work set by his teacher, instead of being force-fed a load of supernatural mumbo-jumbo.

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I have heard this phrase many times.
What do ya reckon,is it like the usa,and for why?
I've lived in both and I think there are very few similarities. Yes, your usual global mega-corporations (fast food, music and otherwise) are here, but their impact can be felt in every moderately wealthy country on the planet. They're both large sprawling countries, so distance is viewed in much the same way (thinking nothing of driving for days to go on holiday for instance). But that's where the similarities end as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I lived the majority of my life within 30 minutes of upstate New York
Very nice part of the world it is too.
Old May 16th 2009, 3:27 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

scripture in schools
No scripture in schools in USA - that's not allowed in state schools. I believe it's allowed in UK schools though.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia like Usa?

My brother's wife is American, and she found Australia very different to the USA (as did my brother when he visited the US).
Old May 16th 2009, 9:15 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

My point was that reliious education in Austrtalia is supported by the state. I do not recall private education having anywhere near as much a subsidy in the UK or US.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But it is still a lot less than State schools receive per student.

eg: In 2005-06, government schools in Victoria received combined Australian and Victorian Government funding of $10,352 a student, while non-government schools received $5,613 a student.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:33 am

OK a basic cultural analysis

1 Sport

UK - Football - Cricket - Rugby Union - League

Australia AFL - League - Cricket - Football

US - Grid iron - basketball - Baseball

2 TV

UK BBC and imported US TV

Aus - ABC (lots of Beeb imports) and lots of imported US TV

US - US TV

3 Institutions

All three countries law systems have a similiar base. Australia and the UK have the same figure head head of state. Australia and the US have elected upper houses. All three countries have stable democracies, capitalist economies and watch the Simpsons.

I have spent about 4 months in the US primarily in Oklahoma. Suburban US and Australian housing and shopping bare a lot of similiarities however city life is different.

4 - History

The US kicked the Brits out and set out on their own. Australia still has not quite managed it. As far as wars go the main variance was Vietnam where when Britain decided not to participate. The US late entry to the great wars also marks a large difference. Although Australia as a nation got a great awakening from Gallipoli and the trenched of WWI there is still a huge amount of shared history.

Frankly the amount of Brits here, the larlge amount of BBC TV and the huge sporting rivalry with Britain indicates to me that Australia is far closer culturally to the nations of its monarch than the US. The permeation of US culture globally and our common roots and military alliances indicates that we are not that different, especially compared to the less mature democracies of the world.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:38 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia like Usa?

Originally Posted by IvanM
My point was that reliious education in Austrtalia is supported by the state.
More accurately, private religious schools are supported by the state.

I do not recall private education having anywhere near as much a subsidy in the UK or US.
Possibly not, but I think the main reason for this is that unlike Australia, the 5,000 Anglican schools in England and Wales are state schools (whereas they would be private schools in Australia).

These schools accommodate almost 1 million children. That's an awful lot of state-sponsored religious schools, and an awful lot of state-sponsored religious education.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:44 am

I believe the US constitution has a separation of Church and state. To get around this luddites decided to start the teaching of creation in schools. This was deemed religious and banned. Not to be defeated a new movement pushed an idea called Intelligent Design. Another pile of crap designed to poo poo Darwin.

The US has a very strong evangelical christian movement that is also politically powerful however its influence has split the republican party.

Its almost as if the UK resents the official nature of religion in the state and the US rebels against the constitution.

Originally Posted by Mallory
No scripture in schools in USA - that's not allowed in state schools. I believe it's allowed in UK schools though.
Old May 16th 2009, 9:53 am

My experience of religious education is that it seems to provoke a reaction to agnosticism or atheism. You will also find the religious element in the state schools quite diminished when compared to something like the Catholic schooling I attended,

Paradoxically the US has a segregation of church and state yet my anecdotal observations of the nation is that America has a much larger evangelical influence. I recall people knocking on the door attempting to sign us up to their church after moving to Oklahoma.

My anecdotal observations of Australians of religion is that they are as indifferent as the English.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
More accurately, private religious schools are supported by the state.

Possibly not, but I think the main reason for this is that unlike Australia, the 5,000 Anglican schools in England and Wales are state schools (whereas they would be private schools in Australia).

These schools accommodate almost 1 million children. That's an awful lot of state-sponsored religious schools, and an awful lot of state-sponsored religious education.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:11 am
ABCDiamond

My point was that reliious education in Austrtalia is supported by the state. I do not recall private education having anywhere near as much a subsidy in the UK or US.
But don't UK financially state supported schools still teach religion ? or have they stopped RE now ?

It has been a while since I went to school

Old May 16th 2009, 10:34 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

They still do RE.

Under the Education Act 1996 schools must provide RE for all registered pupils, although parents can choose to withdraw their children. Schools, other than voluntary-aided schools and those of a religious character, must teach religious education according to the locally agreed syllabus. Each agreed syllabus should reflect the fact that the religious traditions in Great Britain are in the main Christian, while taking account of the teachings and practices of the other principal religions represented in Great Britain.:
This is a sample of what may be offered

The DfES/QCA RE schemes of work can be adapted to reflect changes in the local community. It is essential to note that the existing schemes of work do not match the programmes of study in the non-statutory national framework. The current schemes will be revised to take greater account of the framework.

Several of the key stage 1 and key stage 2 RE units are suitable for adaptation:

Unit RA ‘What are harvest festivals?’
Unit 1A ‘What does it mean to belong?’ - Generic
Unit 1D ‘Beliefs and practice’ - Generic
Unit 2C ‘Celebrations’ - Generic
Unit 2D ‘Visiting a place of worship’ - Generic
Unit 3A ‘What do signs and symbols mean in religion?’
Unit 3E ‘What is faith and what difference does it make?’
Unit 4D ‘What religions are represented in our neighbourhood?’
Unit 6A ‘Worship and community’ - Generic
Unit 6C ‘Why are sacred texts important?’ - Generic
Unit 6F ‘How do people express their faith through the arts?’
Old May 16th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

edman is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it like the USA? Well it has Kmart, KFC, McDonalds, Target a better version of Burger King in the guise of Hungry Jacks, strip malls and no real town centre in newer developments (except some shopping centre) but its not like USA as its got great beers !!

Seriously tho I have lived in both and they do have similarities but then again it also has many more with UK Ireland Canada NZ etc etc. The only thing for certain is that it is definitely Australia and its different. You will love it or hate it on your terms.

Number one similarity is ......they both speak English, well a version anyway
Old May 16th 2009, 11:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edman
but its not like USA as its got great beers
Old May 17th 2009, 1:56 am

A non religious school can have RE. An overtly religious school will have prayers, ceremonies and celebrate the religion's festivals.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But don't UK financially state supported schools still teach religion ? or have they stopped RE now ?

It has been a while since I went to school
Old May 17th 2009, 3:08 am
ABCDiamond

A non religious school can have RE. An overtly religious school will have prayers, ceremonies and celebrate the religion's festivals.
The first one sounds like my daughters faith based school here. Very little in the way of religion, like prayers etc. Just the basic stuff to try to teach tolerence, friendship, loyalty etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.