Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia like Usa?

Australia like Usa?

Old May 15th 2009, 9:48 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australia like Usa?

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Wow, if this is how people really feel about Americans then maybe my American wife should not come to Australia. We were hoping to get away from this attitude when we left the UK.
Be very wary in what you choose to believe

I never seem to hear much of this myself except when I am on the phone back to the Northern Hemisphere... or obviously listening to some on here today

Old May 15th 2009, 9:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, if this is how people really feel about Americans then maybe my American wife should not come to Australia. We were hoping to get away from this attitude when we left the UK.
These are disaffected poms, not Aussies. You'll be right
Old May 15th 2009, 10:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Yellow taxis in Melbourne and Play Areas outside McDonalds etc = very Americanised, or so I thought anyways!!!
Old May 15th 2009, 10:09 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the reaons I refuse to don't like the Hills
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsong_Church

I guess it depends on where you live in Australia or even Sydney. John Howard encouraged churh delivered social servies by charities such as Anglicare.

I think the worst incarnation was a Catholic run abortion line
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...34-601,00.html

I sense that KRUDD will slowly reverse these decisions like this one

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-2702,00.html

You also need to realise the amount spent on private schooling by the commonwealth is massive. Most private schools have a religious orientation,
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...654221539.html

Looks like plenty of these will get built as the nature of Australia becomes more Islamic
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...l/1513848.aspx

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Er, what?

Australia does not have an official state religion (unlike the UK, where your head of state is also head of the state church); the only religious schools are non-government schools (unlike the UK) and during my 30 years in Australia, the only Scripture I ever found was in an optional RE class at primary school.

As for a religious bias everywhere...
Old May 15th 2009, 10:14 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Americans overseas with an open mind and thick skin do fine. The difference with Australians is that they are far more vocal in their opion of the US but it is without the snootiness and silly cultural superiority complex some of us Brits can get.

Old May 15th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Walking is unusual
That's what I like about the place - you get the footpath to yourself. It does make for a lot of traffic though. NSW is definitely busier than Queensland trafficwise.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
You also need to realise the amount spent on private schooling by the commonwealth is massive.
But it is still a lot less than State schools receive per student.

eg: In 2005-06, government schools in Victoria received combined Australian and Victorian Government funding of $10,352 a student, while non-government schools received $5,613 a student.

Old May 15th 2009, 11:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I've never been to the US but I think many parts of it are very like how I expect the US to be: sprawling suburbs littered with fast food outlets and car lots, scripture in schools and a religious bias everywhere, big 4wds reversing out of gated driveways to drive from bland inland suburbs to the city for work, rampant consumerism, screaming adverts, rednecks etc, etc.

OTOH, the wildlife is incredible in an everyday way, which is not what I expect of the US.
That's not at all what I know of the US. My son was raised in Arkansas and Georgia. My brother lives in Indiana and I lived the majority of my life within 30 minutes of upstate New York
The Aussies are like trainee yanks. V8's, Church of Aus is MacDonalds, Walking is unusual - the car is king. Sports mentality (but underneath bunch of wimps) Bad losers and even worse winners, Malls over towns with character and personality, bimbo girls with boob jobs, beach culture, houses (Mc Mansions) make your skin crawl all in rows with palm trees and overly clean look like Legoland. Ugh.
Only nice bits are the natural bits and the stuff in there tries to killyou.
Oh and bushfires akin to those in the states.
Also politics - state against state.
Medicare as health care - fear of getting really sick.
I meet nice people here but they are unusual in that they have opinions other than those of Oprah or don't watch Days of Our Lives.
Plastic people in a plastic land.
I could go on...
Have you ever even BEEN to the US? And I don't mean Disney
Originally Posted by NELBHOY
I don't think you can compare. There's places in the states that aren't remotely like other places in the states. There's no way you can compare New York to say, Bakersfield or New Orleans to LA. The peoples' attitude differs greatly from state to state.
Too true.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australia like Usa?

Apparently clean suburbs are a bad thing.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:09 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

I'm a Brit that's previously lived in Florida for 7 years, but have only spent a total of 3 months in Australia (although I'm waiting on my 175 to go live there long-term).

There are some similarities between Oz and the States but both countries still differ significantly from each other. They compare in the same sense that Oz and the UK compare or that the UK and the States compare. Someone from elsewhere in the world might consider the UK, OZ and the States to all be very similar to each other in many ways.

When I think of the States, the phrase 'bigger is better' comes to mind. By this, I mean large cars, loud and brash attitudes, things done on a large scale, etc. There is certainly some of this present in Oz but not nearly to the same extent would be my observation.

Eating out in Oz is a lot more common that the UK but not as prevalent as the US. The UK has a LOT more history than both Oz and the States combined and then some. Houses are generally bigger in both Oz and the States compared to the UK.

It'll be interesting to see if my own preconceptions or Oz stack up after I move there (assuming it happens).

- CDM
Old May 15th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's like the US in the same way that the UK is like Europe.
That's quite astute Vash.

Cos the Uk is more like Europe than many other countries, but is not quite.....

Which is what I have said a few times, which is that it vaguely looks like the US but is quite different in other ways, make no mistake.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Aussies are like trainee yanks. V8's, Church of Aus is MacDonalds, Walking is unusual - the car is king. Sports mentality (but underneath bunch of wimps) Bad losers and even worse winners, Malls over towns with character and personality, bimbo girls with boob jobs, beach culture, houses (Mc Mansions) make your skin crawl all in rows with palm trees and overly clean look like Legoland. Ugh.
Only nice bits are the natural bits and the stuff in there tries to killyou.
Oh and bushfires akin to those in the states.
Also politics - state against state.
Medicare as health care - fear of getting really sick.
I meet nice people here but they are unusual in that they have opinions other than those of Oprah or don't watch Days of Our Lives.
Plastic people in a plastic land.
I could go on...

Like all countries we do have Australians like this that only see things filtered through their own prejudice. But in this case I think it is a Brit but you cannot blame all Brits for the one's like this - most of them aren't so narrow minded.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM
I'm a Brit that's previously lived in Florida for 7 years, but have only spent a total of 3 months in Australia (although I'm waiting on my 175 to go live there long-term).

There are some similarities between Oz and the States but both countries still differ significantly from each other. They compare in the same sense that Oz and the UK compare or that the UK and the States compare. Someone from elsewhere in the world might consider the UK, OZ and the States to all be very similar to each other in many ways.

When I think of the States, the phrase 'bigger is better' comes to mind. By this, I mean large cars, loud and brash attitudes, things done on a large scale, etc. There is certainly some of this present in Oz but not nearly to the same extent would be my observation.

Eating out in Oz is a lot more common that the UK but not as prevalent as the US. The UK has a LOT more history than both Oz and the States combined and then some. Houses are generally bigger in both Oz and the States compared to the UK.

It'll be interesting to see if my own preconceptions or Oz stack up after I move there (assuming it happens).

- CDM

Just as i thought,thanks
Old May 15th 2009, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

To a Brits eyes Australia, or at least parts of it, can have a very American feel at first glance... but it is only really those first impressions. The reality is, that as a society, its not much like America at all.

Big houses, more big cars, wide streets all have that US feel about it but as previous posters have stated Australia falls somewhere between the UK and the US.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:41 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I have heard this phrase many times.
What do ya reckon,is it like the usa,and for why?

cheers me dears

jase
Having lived in both countries I will say yes they are both very much alike....except for the accents of course .....not sure which is the better of the two

Oz reminds me of a wannabe USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.