Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia like Usa?

Australia like Usa?

Old May 17th 2009, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia like Usa?

Originally Posted by Grayling
When are you bottling yours Grayling...that should stop your confusion..
Old May 17th 2009, 7:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
When are you bottling yours Grayling...that should stop your confusion..
Not brewed any yet.

Must get round to it soon.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:17 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's not at all what I know of the US. My son was raised in Arkansas and Georgia. My brother lives in Indiana and I lived the majority of my life within 30 minutes of upstate New York

Have you ever even BEEN to the US? And I don't mean Disney

Too true.

Yes I have but don't ever wish to return - land of the free? You're joking! - I have been to school there on a year's exchange too. Admittedly it was California!!!
Old May 18th 2009, 5:20 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by edman
Is it like the USA? Well it has Kmart, KFC, McDonalds, Target a better version of Burger King in the guise of Hungry Jacks, strip malls and no real town centre in newer developments (except some shopping centre) but its not like USA as its got great beers !!

Seriously tho I have lived in both and they do have similarities but then again it also has many more with UK Ireland Canada NZ etc etc. The only thing for certain is that it is definitely Australia and its different. You will love it or hate it on your terms.

Number one similarity is ......they both speak English, well a version anyway
Well put.
Where are the beers?
know I sound like I hate it but I'm just like that. I'm actually having a ball
Old May 20th 2009, 3:19 am
Just Joined

vagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nicevagabond is just really nice

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I have heard this phrase many times.
What do ya reckon,is it like the usa,and for why?

cheers me dears

jase
Dear Mr. Moto:

I'm a bit late to the thread, but the short answer is no. I'm a yank and I have lived in Oz off and on for a few years and consider it my second home. If Australia was like the US I'd sure feel a lot more comfortable there than I do, but it's a whole different frame of reference in almost every facet of life. At the end of the day it is essentially *nothing* like the US which is both good *and* bad in my opinion. Bottom line: It is far easier to integrate when you are from the UK.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:52 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vagabond
Bottom line: It is far easier to integrate when you are from the UK.
How would you know that unless you are from the UK and US simultaneously?

If there was a line with the UK on one end and the US on the other I think NZ would be closer to the UK end and Oz closer to the US end, although both places have their own 'flavour' that is stronger than comparisons with either contry really. NZ has the whole pacific thing juxtaposed with England circa 1970s (both good and bad aspects) and Australia, well I don't think I'd know how to define Australia. Best bits are the warmth, the wildlife, the colours and smells, the immenseness, the warm ocean, the optimistic can-do nature of the poeple and the contrast between all the different areas and communities, which is endlessly fascinating.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

edman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
How would you know that unless you are from the UK and US simultaneously?
Well said !! Also if a Yank lives in Aus for any amount of time he oughta know that he aint a Yank anymore hes a "Sepo"....Aussie rhyming slang for Septic Tank = Yank Its all good clean fun !
Old May 20th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edman
Well said !! Also if a Yank lives in Aus for any amount of time he oughta know that he aint a Yank anymore hes a "Sepo"....Aussie rhyming slang for Septic Tank = Yank Its all good clean fun !
Never ever met an American thats living in Oz. I know of a few Canadians. Being a poms bad enough but Id hate to be an American in Australia. Do Americans ever emigrate?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:27 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Never ever met an American thats living in Oz. I know of a few Canadians. Being a poms bad enough but Id hate to be an American in Australia. Do Americans ever emigrate?
Iraq?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:27 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Australia like Usa?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Er, what?

Australia does not have an official state religion (unlike the UK, where your head of state is also head of the state church); the only religious schools are non-government schools (unlike the UK) and during my 30 years in Australia, the only Scripture I ever found was in an optional RE class at primary school.

As for a religious bias everywhere...

Would that be the same Australia where the elected leader stated that 'This is a Christian Country and if you don't like it you can leave'????

The same Australia that has the fastest growing Christian Church attendance in the World (2008 figures)??
Old May 20th 2009, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by innojuk
Would that be the same Australia where the elected leader stated that 'This is a Christian Country and if you don't like it you can leave'????

The same Australia that has the fastest growing Christian Church attendance in the World (2008 figures)??
there is more than 1 Australia? they never told me that!
Old May 20th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Iraq?

Do they live there, genius?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by innojuk

that would be the internet hoax speech you refer to?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia like Usa?

Never ever met an American thats living in Oz.
I had three American colleagues when I worked at the Perth Mail Centre.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Do they live there, genius?
Keith will be fine mate!

Never understood the xenophobia reserved for Yanks.
Why do you have to emigrate? maybe they like it there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.