Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia House what time?

Australia House what time?

Old May 28th 2003, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia House what time?

I should be going to Australia House tomorrow .How big are the queues and what is a good time to get there?
Old May 28th 2003, 9:34 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default oz house times

Hi they only open 9am to 11am I think, get there early to advoid the rush.Dont drink to much before you join the queue. Nearly got the garage cleared Colin.:scared:
Old May 28th 2003, 9:40 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, hubby went to Australia House to get our visas in passports. He got there about 7.00ish and there were about 15-20 people in front of him in the queue. By the time it opened the queue had grown and was going round the corner.

Once it opened it didnt take him long to get in. Don't expect great things though - he said it was like queuing at the dole office.

Regards
Kate
Old May 29th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kate,

I went a few weeks ago. Got there about 8.15am. There were about 10 people in front of me. By 8.45am (when they let you in) there were probably about 60 people waiting.

I was inside for about 45mins and left with a big smile and a couple of visas

It was a Friday (don't know if certain days are busy than others)

Regards
Karl.
Old May 29th 2003, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia House what time?

Originally posted by Ruffy
I should be going to Australia House tomorrow .How big are the queues and what is a good time to get there?
Hi Ruffy,

My experience was very similar to karls. I traveled to Oz house yesterday and got there at 8:45. There was about 50 people in front of me and they opened the doors at 8:50.

They do not start to process queries until 09:00 but get people in the doors a little early to allow for the security screen (bit like an airport metal detector) and to give you a ticket with a queue number on it. Each type of query is handled by a different teller. Although 50 people were ahead of me my PR query was assigned ticket number A004.

By 09:30 I was back on the street, but alas without the visa as Adelaide had made a cock up on the number of passports to be presented.

Still they promised to sort it out in a day so we will see.

Best tube station to use is Temple and walk stright up Arundel St. Oz house will be on your left.

Good luck.

Bill
Old May 29th 2003, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bill's experiences very similar to mine this morning, once the doors open it all moves quickly......but a hint for the females amongst us - they have the usual metal detector (like an airport) and bag checking - but the sensor is so good it picks up the wires in underwired bras..........!!!!! Talk your way out of that one!
(well, if nothing else its given you all a laugh, but believe me, its true!!
Old May 29th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Australia House what time?

Originally posted by Ruffy

I went up to Australia House this morning. Admittedly it was for an Australian Passport for my daughter, not visa stamping.

Got the 10.00am train from Woking. Back in Woking at 12.00pm. It seemed very quiet up there, but I didn't go to the visa bit, so things may have been different in that section.

Regards
Old May 29th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

does anybody know if these big queues are for the area where you wait for interviews?? for front end loaded applications??

We have an interview time at 9.30 tomorrow and when we asked where we needed to go they said simply go to the counter and you may need to take a ticket and wait. I get the feeling that the 9.30 time is more a time to turn up than a specific appointment.

Anybody know?? We are travelling from b'ham so sounds like we might have to get up extra early.

thanks

james
Old May 29th 2003, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by james & bev
does anybody know if these big queues are for the area where you wait for interviews?? for front end loaded applications??

We have an interview time at 9.30 tomorrow and when we asked where we needed to go they said simply go to the counter and you may need to take a ticket and wait. I get the feeling that the 9.30 time is more a time to turn up than a specific appointment.

Anybody know?? We are travelling from b'ham so sounds like we might have to get up extra early.

thanks

james
James,

I imagine it's the same area. Once you are through security clearance you go to the ticket booth, explain what you are there for, and the person there gives you a ticket relevant to your situation.

When I was there the queue was through the security point and tickets handed out pretty quick.

Regards
Karl.
Old May 29th 2003, 4:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by james & bev

thanks

james
If you have an appointment you just go straight to a seat and they call your name out. Don't be late though, it is an appointment time and not just a turn up time.