Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia House phoned my boss

Australia House phoned my boss

Old May 22nd 2006, 9:29 pm
Brisbane here we come!

myedsore will become famous soon enoughmyedsore will become famous soon enough
Default Australia House phoned my boss

Has anyone else had a check done on them. My boss told me today that he got a phone call last week from someone from Australia House, they were asking about my job position etc.
I wouldn't mind so much but I have been trying to keep it quiet just until I heard for definate as you never know whether he will take the hump and work you out over the next few months. All my hard effort down the pan as now the cat is out the bag.
Anyway he was nice about it and said that he had told them that I was far more capable than the trade I have applied for, said he had about a five minute chat with them and that he wished me well for the future.
Is this normal, do they just pick random people or should i have anything to worry about? We have had a few hiccups what with the wife also having to have her Ielts test (she's South African by birth and her first language was Afrikaans. Glad to say she passed easily) so that delayed the application by another month. Oh well I suppose this time next year we will look back on all this and have a laugh!!
Cheers
Mark
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia House phoned my boss

Some people have them turning up at their door to check - there's a thread running now where that happened
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:27 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorchar
Some people have them turning up at their door to check - there's a thread running now where that happened
No one checked any of my references let alone my boss.
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:32 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by myedsore
Has anyone else had a check done on them. My boss told me today that he got a phone call last week from someone from Australia House, they were asking about my job position etc.
I wouldn't mind so much but I have been trying to keep it quiet just until I heard for definate as you never know whether he will take the hump and work you out over the next few months. All my hard effort down the pan as now the cat is out the bag.
Anyway he was nice about it and said that he had told them that I was far more capable than the trade I have applied for, said he had about a five minute chat with them and that he wished me well for the future.
Is this normal, do they just pick random people or should i have anything to worry about? We have had a few hiccups what with the wife also having to have her Ielts test (she's South African by birth and her first language was Afrikaans. Glad to say she passed easily) so that delayed the application by another month. Oh well I suppose this time next year we will look back on all this and have a laugh!!
Cheers
Mark
Yes, this happened to my husband as well, even after writing a note in all our paperwork that he would prefer it if they didn`t get in touch with his current boss but could check all this other refs. Like you, they phoned anyway.

All turned out well though and we have been here since last Nov. I think it`s just a random thing.

Tracey x
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura about

Cheers
Mark

They rang my boss on the friday to check my application etc , and on the monday following I was granted a visa , so its not far away at all .

There's nothing to worry about with them ringing up your boss.

Best of luck .
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Cheers
Mark
Yes this happened to my hubby.he's self-employed and they came out to site to visit him as well, and take photos.