Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia, a hopeless country?

Australia, a hopeless country?

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

ozbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia, a hopeless country?

I heard a lot of people said Australia is the most lucky country in the world. And I have been lived in Australia for more than two years, I felt it is true. Good environment, beautiful beach, and comfortable weather. It is really a heaven.

But I also heard many people said OZ is a hopeless country due to there everything is too old. There are lots of lazy people who don't want to work and enjoy the life as a dole bludger. Unfortuntely, I found it also is true. And the most surprising thing is that soemtimes dole bluger can get more happy money( thanks to good welfare system in AUS) than a hard-working people.

I have been staying in OZ for more than 2 years as a postgradaute student. At first 1.5 years, I was not a PR, and then I got my PR 6 months ago. But I keep searching for professional jobs( I am an engieering student) since then, and I got no result . I still keep full-time studying and doing a part-time job(not engineering job). But many of my friends( they are AUS citizen or tehy got their PR more than 2 years ago) already gave up and began to enjoy unemployment allowance. And they told me I should do so when I am elible to apply for unemployment allowance. I feel confused whether it is my future? To be a happy OZ dole bludger?
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Welcome to today’s culture
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia, a hopeless country?

Originally posted by ozbear
I heard a lot of people said Australia is the most lucky country in the world. And I have been lived in Australia for more than two years, I felt it is true. Good environment, beautiful beach, and comfortable weather. It is really a heaven.

But I also heard many people said OZ is a hopeless country due to there everything is too old. There are lots of lazy people who don't want to work and enjoy the life as a dole bludger. Unfortuntely, I found it also is true. And the most surprising thing is that soemtimes dole bluger can get more happy money( thanks to good welfare system in AUS) than a hard-working people.

I have been staying in OZ for more than 2 years as a postgradaute student. At first 1.5 years, I was not a PR, and then I got my PR 6 months ago. But I keep searching for professional jobs( I am an engieering student) since then, and I got no result . I still keep full-time studying and doing a part-time job(not engineering job). But many of my friends( they are AUS citizen or tehy got their PR more than 2 years ago) already gave up and began to enjoy unemployment allowance. And they told me I should do so when I am elible to apply for unemployment allowance. I feel confused whether it is my future? To be a happy OZ dole bludger?
Unfortunately for you, you do have to have been around more than two years to get the full benefits from the Aussie Taxpayer.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 8:14 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

This dole bludging exists in any country where they have a welfare state!! I live on a particulary crappy concil estate, and the majority of folk here live on social security - they get more than us who work hard for our meagre wages. Cant avoid it - I think its because there is such a laissez-faire attitude amongst people and a fast disappearing work ethic, no-one can be bothered anymore. why work your arse into the ground just to pay the taxman when you sit around and do naff all, and get paid for it.
shame, but what can you do? follow the herd?

Dont think Oz is a hopeless country, but I dont live there yet so perhaps I am not really in a position to comment.

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Aug 22nd 2003 at 8:17 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree there is no escaping the dole bludgers whenever there is a government welfare system in place.

However, all I can say is if it came down to doing a minimum wage job or going on the dole I would take the job anytime. The way I look at it is the world doesn't owe me anything and I am more than happy to make the effort to form my own destiny rather than relying on a dole cheque to make ends.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 10:25 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

C'mon PB ozbear needs your advice...

Last edited by Florida_03; Aug 22nd 2003 at 10:39 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 11:58 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Read:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=171550
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by MeganEkno
Unfortunately for you, you do have to have been around more than two years to get the full benefits from the Aussie Taxpayer.
Unkind Megan

I think he is saying that he disapproves of and doesn't WANT to do that.