Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia and the heat

australia and the heat

Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default australia and the heat

I have only experienced the hot weather in the UK. i have never had any problem with the heat here, i realise things are different down under so the question is:

heat wise, are we better off going to Melbourne, rather than Perth or Adelaide?

Also

We are heavily leaning towards Adelaide because of the help offered there for new arrivals, is the heat and dryness a problem there if your not used to it?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:22 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australia and the heat

Originally posted by trevd72
I have only experienced the hot weather in the UK. i have never had any problem with the heat here, i realise things are different down under so the question is:

Also

We are heavily leaning towards Adelaide because of the help offered there for new arrivals, is the heat and dryness a problem there if your not used to it?
Not been to Adelaide, but the heat is bearable, its the Humidity that sucks !

Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:23 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

The heat is the reason my husband came back from Australia previously, he couldnt handle it. I, on the other hand, love it. Perth gets to about 40 in the summer, has a few humid days too if I remember rightly. Cant comment on other states.
The heat in Aus is a different heat to the UK summer. I burn in the UK, but not in Aus.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Not only is it hot but you also get weevils in the rice, flour etc :scared: lol
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:27 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by debsy
Not only is it hot but you also get weevils in the rice, flour etc :scared: lol

Ah, but you could keep it in a tupperware container
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:29 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Also

During our time in Perth we have found that in late spring and throughout summer the UV ratings are extreme and therefore dangerous. You will burn here if you do not take the necessary precautions.

The high 30's and 40 (low 40's) in Western Australia are HOT, it has also been humid especially after a few hot days and no rain. Living nearer to the ocean you have the benefit of the 'Fremantle Doctor' but inland there is little relief. Nightime temps have been low to mid 20's and can make sleep very difficult.

I understand Adelaide has been much hotter than Perth, PP can tell you more about that.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by cherry6
Ah, but you could keep it in a tupperware container
Cherry - does it really keep them out??
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I have not lived in Australia but have visited several sates.
My son lives in Adelaide and previously in Brisbane and Sydney.
Adelaide gets very hot at times in summer but is generally not humid.It has a cool winter.
Bribane can be hot anytime but gets more rain and can be humid.I have found the hear oppressive at times.
I have found Melbourne to be miserable and cold when I have been but do not think it would be like that all the time.
I am sure people who live in the various states would give you better advice.
I am not sure where to go and have been offered jobs in several states but will probably go where my son is which may be Adelaide or perhaps Sydney if he has to move back there.
I suppose it depends on your circumstances as the job situation varies a great deal.
Good luck

G
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:59 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Also

Heres a few links may help

http://www.bom.gov.au/

http://weather.news.com.au/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/weather/

Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:06 pm
Wishing on a star...

Originally posted by debsy
Cherry - does it really keep them out??
I knew someone in Perth who swore by them, the tall shaped ones with the hole to pour out the cereal (it has a little snap lock to close the hole). Saw one on Neighbours earlier, funny enough. I love tupperware, just cant afford it!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point

I have visited Australia during the winter months when the weather was rather mild. I understand that it is hellishly hot in summer, but I've lived in two of the hottest US states (Texas and Florida) so I think I'm well-prepared. Other than the need for a good pair of sunglasses, I have no problems with strong sun or humidity.

Also

Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice

The weather is changing{hole in ozone?}
Melbourne had no winter last year hardly any rain.
Have been on water restrictions for the last few months.
December was the hottest on record.
So Melbourne is the place for you not as humid as Brisbane
or downright killing as Perth.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:19 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I *think* the order of 'feeling' the heat/humidity goes as follows: (but check out those links provided)

worst:
Brisbane
Perth (has most sunny days of all cities, or so I've heard)
Adelaide (maybe hotter sometimes, but less humid?????)
Melbourne (gets cold in winter, and more rain I believe)

If I was to base my decision about migrating only on the weather, I would probably choose Adelaide.
But, everybody wants different things. Some people enjoy the winter! (and that's people who live here in the northern hemisphere! My point is: different opinions!)

Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Interesting point is that on the moving back to the UK forum the climate is listed right up there as one of the main reasons for getting out.

I think people see lots of blue sky piccys of OZ before they emigrate, it gives absolutely no indication of the intensity of the climate at all.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:42 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Melbourne and I have seen the temperatures up in the late 30's which is stinking then the next day it was only about 20. Now personally I find the change in temperature quite nice because the hot weather can drain me a bit and its nice to get a break from it.

We visited Adelaide and my initial (personal) impressions were that it was a very beautiful but a little on the small side for us. We did travel down through SA which again was very pretty but overall we preferred Victoria.

It all really depends on what sort of life your after really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.