Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia has changed me

Australia has changed me

Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:23 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia has changed me

I went for a sundowner after work last night and when I got off the train at Joondalup I had half an hour to kill before Sam could pick me up as she was collecting our daughter from Guides first. No worries - I popped into the Old Bailey for a pint.

There I was sat alone at a table and a guy walks up and asks to sit down at my table (despite the next one being empty) so yeah, alright.

Maybe he fancies me? Then I notice he is carrying a yellow official looking envelope and shaking like a leaf. My first guess is he has been to the hospital for test results and had some bad news. But after the first minute of conversation he tells me he has just been to court for beating up his girlfriend - he "only did it the once". The shaking is permanent.

Three years ago in that situation I would have been out of there like a rat up a drainpipe. But, hey, I don't really have anywhere else to go and this is more interesting a conversation than talking about the weather so I stuck with it.

I just thought I would share that with you all as it sums up quite nicely how much more relaxed / confident I am these days
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia has changed me

Sitting here with my OH and laughing at the post. Me the wife says I hope you didn't tell your wife, my husbands response was did he get any tips from him!!! Still laughing!!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

I found that people don't judge orthers as quick as in the UK, I can see what you mean by changeing you, there was a time I would like to think the bloke would have got a good kickin but now its like well hang on its not as cut and dry as him being a wife beater.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

she may have deserved it (tongue in cheek)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Allsorts of strange un's go in that pub...including you Worzel
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Allsorts of strange un's go in that pub...including you Worzel
I think that has hit the nail on the head - I was comfortable being with all the other nutters
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
she may have deserved it (tongue in cheek)
some birds like a bit of rough
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Funnily enough, we also noticed (not wife beating) or should I say my husband noticed as a tradesman over here, that the BLOKES would really talk openly to him about there personal lives whether he wanted to know or not and not only that how they feel. Like I am so upset that my wife ......

Nothing wrong with that but, my hubby is Scottish and a Trady and they are not generally known for all that EMOTIONAL stuff

I too have found people telling me there life stories such as today in the queue at coles. I think some people are just so open and happy to tell you about them.
The difference here is they are on your side and the side of the Battler. I too have to pinch myself after nearly 4 years and say these people are ok your in Oz
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I went for a sundowner after work last night and when I got off the train at Joondalup I had half an hour to kill before Sam could pick me up as she was collecting our daughter from Guides first. No worries - I popped into the Old Bailey for a pint.

There I was sat alone at a table and a guy walks up and asks to sit down at my table (despite the next one being empty) so yeah, alright.

Maybe he fancies me? Then I notice he is carrying a yellow official looking envelope and shaking like a leaf. My first guess is he has been to the hospital for test results and had some bad news. But after the first minute of conversation he tells me he has just been to court for beating up his girlfriend - he "only did it the once". The shaking is permanent.

Three years ago in that situation I would have been out of there like a rat up a drainpipe. But, hey, I don't really have anywhere else to go and this is more interesting a conversation than talking about the weather so I stuck with it.

I just thought I would share that with you all as it sums up quite nicely how much more relaxed / confident I am these days

You'll be throwing sickies next every Monday and Friday
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:49 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Funnily enough, we also noticed (not wife beating) or should I say my husband noticed as a tradesman over here, that the BLOKES would really talk openly to him about there personal lives whether he wanted to know or not and not only that how they feel. Like I am so upset that my wife ......

Nothing wrong with that but, my hubby is Scottish and a Trady and they are not generally known for all that EMOTIONAL stuff

I too have found people telling me there life stories such as today in the queue at coles. I think some people are just so open and happy to tell you about them.
The difference here is they are on your side and the side of the Battler. I too have to pinch myself after nearly 4 years and say these people are ok your in Oz
Have noticed that meself........think it boils down to that fact that Aussies see everyone as equal. There's none of this, 'we're better than you' mallarkey like back in the UK. Maybe helps them to talk openly knowing they're not going to be judged?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Have noticed that meself........think it boils down to that fact that Aussies see everyone as equal. There's none of this, 'we're better than you' mallarkey like back in the UK. Maybe helps them to talk openly knowing they're not going to be judged?

Great feeling isn't it

I was always more open than most in the UK, which caused a little bit of angst amongst people I accompanied, especially if I were to engage in a coversation with a stranger that needed a ear. Aussie really suits that side of my personality.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

You know you so right. I've always been fairly laid back but most of my workmates who are aussies think I'm one of the most laid back people they have ever met....and coming from Australians that saying something!!!!!!!!

The OH has definately chilled a fair bit, lets be honest if you can't beat em....join em!!!!

Nikki
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

I am going to love Oz I attract nutters in the Uk
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yup Ozzieeagle!

It's so easy to hype up the negative aspects and seemingly social quirks of Australia that people forget- the pace of life is slower, and that often people have their own brand of tolerance. The way people chat on the tram etc. Sure people can seem very slow or relaxed even slapdash but the benefits are all these things people report.

Occasionally you meet a Uk person off the boat still at a million miles an hour, or remember life or a situation elsewhere and remember. It is very noticeable on arrival in the UK how fast everything is.

I like it!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom
I found that people don't judge orthers as quick as in the UK

I hope that's the case with other things aswell and not just wife beaters! I really like the sound of that, the thought of being accepted warts and all sounds lovely (not that ive got any lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.