Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia...the good life...

Wikiposts

Australia...the good life...

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Hello, i thought tonights posts were about Social Work in Perth being hard to break into, one person discovering that, not wanting to go and live in the outback as part of necessary stuff to get a job etc etc.....

Why on earth should anyone want to dismiss that reality or turn it into a thread on great things in OZ.

Ellen and I are no fans of each other but I can hardly see anyone who just discovered their chosen career is not in great demand is hardly going to be delighted with us all going oh never mind have a bbq dear.

Should the people who post a bit of honest info be told to Bog off?

Is this forum for real??? Think I will pinch myself, yes I am real and last time I looked so was Australia.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Podgypossum,
I don't know why we bother either. Obviously Australia is such a horrible dull boring country that everyone who lives there hates it and can't wait to leave. (I'd be interested to know how many people that migrate do stay and how many come back actually?).
Can't imagine why I love being there so much. As has been said before, we know its not "fluffy" - but find a country that is......

If I based my expectations of Australia purely on what I'm reading on here these days, I'd be in the divorce court before the ceremony has finished.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 2nd 2003 at 12:51 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:56 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the people who are really enjoying life in OZ are getting on with their lives and not wasting time on sites like this!!

I'm only here for the advice, good or bad. I'll make my own mind up when I get there!

Theresa
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously Australia is such a horrible dull boring country that everyone who lives there hates it and can't wait to leave.
Where are the posts saying its a horrible dull boring country? are you sure they were not the ones talking about UK?

Where are all the posts saying we cant wait to leave.? Not noticed anyone here counting away the days for when they leave Australia.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hey thought i would give you a good point : Once a week at least especially tonite we save ourselves a fortune on the leccy bill , because we have the police helicopter hoovering around with its spot light going , lightning up the whole street , god what a thoughtfull police force WA police are
Joanne ( just a bit of fun , although very true )
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:00 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by karawara88
Quite possibly.
Then make love like Shelob for in the morn a Job will appear dressed like the Apocalypse to wisk you away from your dreary Drone like whining existance to higher realms of Surreality.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:04 am
owieb

Originally posted by Pollyana
Podgypossum,
I don't know why we bother either. Obviously Australia is such a horrible dull boring country that everyone who lives there hates it and can't wait to leave. (I'd be interested to know how many people that migrate do stay and how many come back actually?).
Can't imagine why I love being there so much. As has been said before, we know its not "fluffy" - but find a country that is......

If I based my expectations of Australia purely on what I'm reading on here these days, I'd be in the divorce court before the ceremony has finished.
There's loads of really good positive posts on here. I have posted stuff tonight in direct response to someones question. I answered honestly, truthfully and above all positively

If you actually read the so-called 'negative' posts, there is no mention of 'hating australia' and 'can't wait to leave', the posts are real-life experiences!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

podgy & polly, ignore the trolls, its more trouble than its worth to argue with them. As you know there are plenty of great things about living in Australia. Dagboy & I have had alot of good things happen to us lately, but the most important thing is that we are extremely happy living here. Dont let peoples comments get you down .
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:10 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by podgypossum
Ummm...where did i ask for a shrink anywhere??....

If you go back and reread what i wrote in the title, i accept and understand that not all is good...but for christ sake, can't we have some friendliness and and positive feedback occassionally???

Everytime anyone tries to make a post or new thread in postive mode, someone HAS to come in and cast doom and gloom!!!

By all means do that. By all means tell us the bad side...i am not complpaining about that....all i am asking that we redress the balance a bit and post some good things...after all..there must be some otherwise you wouldnt be there!!
Hear! Bl**dy! Hear! You ask for a positive thread and you get angst from the 'glass half emptiers'.

TennisOz

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Vital Info on how to post (without upsetting anyone) to a tricky question.

Q. Dotty here, my house just burnt down in a bushfire, my OZ husband has run off with a teenage nymph, and my boss wants to send me to Mount Isa.

Meg replies:
Then make love like Shelob for in the morn a Job will appear dressed like the Apocalypse to wisk you away from your dreary Drone like whining existance to higher realms of Surreality. [/QUOTE]

Result:
Nobody is offended, Meg gets 10 points from her Shrink, Dotty gets some really practical advice rolleyes: and OZ's reputation is completely unblemished.

And remember posting here from the Uk is normal, Posting here if you live in OZ is Sad.

Goodnight folks, I must check in again soon the evening session is such fun.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:13 am
WBB

personally i dont mind reading the doom and gloom merchants posts on here as they obviously know more about oz than us mere mortals.

the thing is though this is just a chat forum and not real life, australia is a big country and im sure we can all find hapiness there, if not then maybe it is not for you but at least you can actually try it and make your own mind up.

it cant be any worse than the u.k

:lecture:

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then make love like Shelob for in the morn a Job will appear dressed like the Apocalypse to wisk you away from your dreary Drone like whining existance to higher realms of Surreality.
Shelob was a she - spider so not possible.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by karawara88
Shelob was a she - spider so not possible.
Lesbian Spiders, bet they dont get them in UKers, happy nightmares.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
There's loads of really good positive posts on here. I have posted stuff tonight in direct response to someones question. I answered honestly, truthfully and above all positively

If you actually read the so-called 'negative' posts, there is no mention of 'hating australia' and 'can't wait to leave', the posts are real-life experiences!
Owieb, this thread asked for positive things about living in Australia. Can you show us how many there are apart from Pollyannas own out of the 20 odd posts in this thread? Everyone who lives in Australia (apart from myself) who has posted in this thread has slagged Polly & Podgy off for asking for good experiences.

If you dont WANT to post anything good about Australia, then thats fine, I dont think anyone has problem with that, but why the hell do it in a thread that specifically asks for good experiences & run down the people who ask for them?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:23 am
owieb

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Owieb, this thread asked for positive things about living in Australia. Can you show us how many there are apart from Pollyannas own out of the 20 odd posts in this thread? Everyone who lives in Australia (apart from myself) who has posted in this thread has slagged Polly & Podgy off for asking for good experiences.

If you dont WANT to post anything good about Australia, then thats fine, I dont think anyone has problem with that, but why the hell do it in a thread that specifically asks for good experiences & run down the people who ask for them?
I'm referring to the forum in general and not this post in particular, maybe should have made it a bit clearer!

I was responding to a direct post made by Pollyanna, which seemed to be somewhat negative in it's tone suggesting that there is nothing positive about Australia ever mentioned.

Last edited by owieb; Oct 2nd 2003 at 1:38 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.