Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia...the good life...

Australia...the good life...

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:24 pm
WBB

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Owieb, this thread asked for positive things about living in Australia. Can you show us how many there are apart from Pollyannas own out of the 20 odd posts in this thread? Everyone who lives in Australia (apart from myself) who has posted in this thread has slagged Polly & Podgy off for asking for good experiences.

If you dont WANT to post anything good about Australia, then thats fine, I dont think anyone has problem with that, but why the hell do it in a thread that specifically asks for good experiences & run down the people who ask for them?

well said mrs dagboy

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Still here, just having a cup of tea now and a biscuit, i could post my fave tale of how I came here as a penniless backpacker and became a +++++++++++ and live in a ******side XXXXXXX and how I love my tree@@@@@, and how OZ if a fantastic place to start a *********. However that post peed um off too. Cant win it seems.:scared:

OK OK i'm going
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:30 pm
WBB

Originally posted by dotty
Still here, just having a cup of tea now and a biscuit, i could post my fave tale of how I came here as a penniless backpacker and became a +++++++++++ and live in a ******side XXXXXXX and how I love my tree@@@@@, and how OZ if a fantastic place to start a *********. However that post peed um off too. Cant win it seems.:scared:

OK OK i'm going

bye

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:30 pm
WBB

OK OK i'm going

bye

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:31 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

OK OK i'm going
Hey, hey wait a minute....whats the rolling off the hill down there? Oh my god its Dotty's marbles !!

Don't worry luvvy. I shall retrieve.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by karawara88
Shelob was a she - spider so not possible.
Mine godt you have it badly, picky, picky, picky always picky. Who'll step into your lair or give you the Job nod when you're like that all the time. Try a little dark honey, not only does it stick the peas to your knife but you'll catch more flies too! Take a walk, a very long hungry making one, and don't pass McChucks on the way!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
I'm referring to the forum in general and not this post in particular, maybe should have made it a bit clearer!
Yes, I know what you meant & that is in relation to your posts tonight, but if you re-read this thread, Im sure you will see what I mean! It wasnt directed at you, only in response to your comment .
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:39 pm
owieb

Yes, I know what you meant & that is in relation to your posts tonight, but if you re-read this thread, Im sure you will see what I mean! It wasnt directed at you, only in response to your comment .
No worries!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx Mrs Dagboy...

Yes,...all i was asking for was some positive things....i always find it amusing how those who are looking for an arguemnt will convieniently overlook the parts of their "opponents" words that dont suit their purpose.

Right from the start i said that i did not object to hearing the bad. Of course that is all part of it. I could say many bad things about NZ if i so wished. No, i am not a dreamer, i have already lived two years in a country further away from the UK than Aus!! I am under no illusions...already done it.

All i asked for in this thread was some balance to redress the negative.
I dont mind if others want to post all the doom and gloom they want elsewhere. But why am i, or anyone else who wants to have something positve to look at besides the negative, be stormed over?

I have made several observations since joining this group. There seems to be a handful of people who are just hell bent on making others feel less important than they are. Wanting to dismiss anyone elses views but their own, and generally strike discord.

It also smells of bullying behaviour. IE..this is what i believe and i refuse to let anyone else think differently, without ridiculong, belittling or condescending them...

so be it...at the end of the day, i know who will have a happier life where ever they may be... those who can smile and be kind as opposed to judgemental, scathing and bitter.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:44 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by tennisoz
Hear! Bl**dy! Hear! You ask for a positive thread and you get angst from the 'glass half emptiers'.

TennisOz
Sorry I meant to give my own perspective of 'My Melbourne' in no particular order:

* Family and friends
* The view across the bay to the city skyline from Williamstown
on a clear evening (of which there are many folks)
* The view from the Rialto Observation Deck
* The Queen Victoria Market
* Southbank
* Myer's and David Jones foodhalls
* Yarra Valley wineries (even though I don't drink)
* The Great Ocean Road
* Most people saying g'day to you and not having to avoid eye
contact for fear of 'watcha lookin' at and its regional variations
* Dining al fresco most or all of the time you feel like doing it
* The huge variety of cuisine
* Decent coffee most places you buy it
* I won't say Vegemite or Tim Tams cos' I get them at Tesco now
* The clock on the silo that says eleven degrees (anyone know
what that one means?)
* A game at the 'G'
* The Western Bulldogs winning the Grand Final (last happened
in 1954 and I was with my father watching)
* Melbourne Park (venue of the Australian Open) where you can
'front up' and have a game 50 weeks a year (try that
at 'Wimbers')
* Melbourne trams - the city circle tram is a great free ride
* The 'Paris' end of Collins Street
* A drive through the Dandenongs
* People with decent sized blocks and not many of them living in
mid air
* Wide streets and lots of parkland and gardens
* A walk along the Yarra River
* The variety of sport.
* Moomba
* A concert at the Music Bowl
*John Farnham, although I know he did 'The Last Time'
* The newspapers (I know, posters here prefer the British
tabloids and Australian/Canadian owned broadsheets in the UK
to the Age, Australian and Herald Sun but it is the other way
around for me)
* Decent fish and chips
* Trips to Bendigo and Ballarat
* Trains that run on time, mostly, and every 20 minutes to the
city

That'll do for starters. Incidentally I could do a similar list for Scotland where I live now and in case you are wondering why I'm not in Melbourne I am married to a Scot who got very homesick when out there after almost 10 years cos' she only went on a 2 year contract to begin with and I love it here too. I could also draw up a list of what I don't like in Melbourne but I wasn't asked for that!

TennisOz

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:53 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Owieb, this thread asked for positive things about living in Australia. Can you show us how many there are apart from Pollyannas own out of the 20 odd posts in this thread? Everyone who lives in Australia (apart from myself) who has posted in this thread has slagged Polly & Podgy off for asking for good experiences.

If you dont WANT to post anything good about Australia, then thats fine, I dont think anyone has problem with that, but why the hell do it in a thread that specifically asks for good experiences & run down the people who ask for them?
Yeah - what she said.

OK - here is something nice and balanced.
If you go and look here you can see what is happening outside the main post office in Brisbane.
The negative point is that Brisbane gets dark at night, so you will not be able to make out a f**king thing.
The positive thing is that in about 5 and a half hours the sun will come up and you will be able to see that there is hardly ever a shortage of yellow cabs on Queen Street (just look for the orange cars)
Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

Hey Podgypossum I've been here in Oz for over 30 years and love it I dont post much here and dont intend to. But look often at the poor little sad ones with no lives. check out how many posts the sad ones have logged up, they have NO LIFE, NO GUTS, and NO BRAINS. .. that is N.O. L.I.F.E. outside this forum

99.9% of ex pats are living normal happy lives down here, they are NOT living only for this forum, 99.9% are not aware even of its existance. they are living normally.

Do not take notice of the .1% of NO LIFE whingers on this forum, I repeat, they have NO LIFE, and NO GUTS, how else would they have 1,300+ posts... Jesus Christ ! get a bloody life or piss of back you whingers...
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:00 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Q. Dotty here, my house just burnt down in a bushfire, my OZ husband has run off with a teenage nymph, and my boss wants to send me to Mount Isa.
What's the problem? Yer house was insured for twice what the termites left, yer hubby wouldn't be Aussie if he did not oblige the local nymphs, and, if yer opened yer bloody mail, theres a bloke from the Isa whose moved on from Philipino wifes inviting yer up for a weekend of croc spottin', and roo shootin' any what ever else yer inter. Girl yer got it comin' and goin' and yer still whinin'. Wake up ter yer self!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:07 pm
Badge

It's true - I don't have a life in the UK....

I work long hours - IT based - in a grey London and I can't wait to have my life back in Australia.

Badge

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:10 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Sorry I meant to give my own perspective of 'My Melbourne' in no particular order:

* Family and friends
* The view across the bay to the city skyline from Williamstown
on a clear evening (of which there are many folks)
* The view from the Rialto Observation Deck
* The Queen Victoria Market
* Southbank
* Myer's and David Jones foodhalls
* Yarra Valley wineries (even though I don't drink)
* The Great Ocean Road
* Most people saying g'day to you and not having to avoid eye
contact for fear of 'watcha lookin' at and its regional variations
* Dining al fresco most or all of the time you feel like doing it
* The huge variety of cuisine
* Decent coffee most places you buy it
* I won't say Vegemite or Tim Tams cos' I get them at Tesco now
* The clock on the silo that says eleven degrees (anyone know
what that one means?)
* A game at the 'G'
* The Western Bulldogs winning the Grand Final (last happened
in 1954 and I was with my father watching)
* Melbourne Park (venue of the Australian Open) where you can
'front up' and have a game 50 weeks a year (try that
at 'Wimbers')
* Melbourne trams - the city circle tram is a great free ride
* The 'Paris' end of Collins Street
* A drive through the Dandenongs
* People with decent sized blocks and not many of them living in
mid air
* Wide streets and lots of parkland and gardens
* A walk along the Yarra River
* The variety of sport.
* Moomba
* A concert at the Music Bowl
*John Farnham, although I know he did 'The Last Time'
* The newspapers (I know, posters here prefer the British
tabloids and Australian/Canadian owned broadsheets in the UK
to the Age, Australian and Herald Sun but it is the other way
around for me)
* Decent fish and chips
* Trips to Bendigo and Ballarat
* Trains that run on time, mostly, and every 20 minutes to the
city

That'll do for starters. Incidentally I could do a similar list for Scotland where I live now and in case you are wondering why I'm not in Melbourne I am married to a Scot who got very homesick when out there after almost 10 years cos' she only went on a 2 year contract to begin with and I love it here too. I could also draw up a list of what I don't like in Melbourne but I wasn't asked for that!

TennisOz

Ooh Tennis Oz - fish and chips!
I had never tasted anything like them before. We were driving to my aunties on boxing day last year and we stopped for luch (sorry can't even remember where now) we got fish and chips and went down to the beach - one of my alltime fav memories. the fish was a huge slab of something, panfried in butter, herbs, garlic and chilli - heaven in a plastic carton and all for the ludicrous price of £1.20!!

Actually, husband tipped fish juice all over the hire car when I turned a bit sharp round bend and the car stamk of fish until the day it went back - ha ha ha ha - husband also stank of fish for little while - hilariuos and fish and chips was well worth it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.