Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia and Fax Machines

Australia and Fax Machines

Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia and Fax Machines

I usually try to see a silver lining in most things but this one a cannot

What is it with Australia and it's obsession with the fax machine.

"I'll fax it to you, what is your fax number" - "haven't a bloody clue, just email it"

In the UK I don't think I was asked for a fax number in the past 10 years. Every week here in Oz I get asked.

Just this morning I needed some X-ray results sent, and again. "What is your fax number" - "just email to me" - "no can't do that for privacy reasons" - "you tell me what is more private, my email, or a fax being left in public display until I come and get it" - "sorry sir it's just the way it is"
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia and Fax Machines

Originally Posted by Beoz

"I'll fax it to you, what is your fax number" - "haven't a bloody clue, just email it"

In the UK I don't think I was asked for a fax number in the past 10 years. Every week here in Oz I get asked.

Just this morning I needed some X-ray results sent, and again. "What is your fax number" - "just email to me" - "no can't do that for privacy reasons" - "you tell me what is more private, my email, or a fax being left in public display until I come and get it" - "sorry sir it's just the way it is"
It must just be you as we don't even have a fax machine in our office, I have not sent or received one on at least 3 years and we do everything by email.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Often wondered about this. Queensland Govt still has a love affair with fax machines, which puzzles me. I've even been told that they are far more reliable than email and that emailing something should always be viewed as a backup!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Often wondered about this. Queensland Govt still has a love affair with fax machines, which puzzles me. I've even been told that they are far more reliable than email and that emailing something should always be viewed as a backup!
Really? Sounds like the dark ages.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:41 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

My company deals with nearly 5000 outlets of " a not to be named profession" and nearly %65 of orders come through fax and they insist all marketing material be sent via fax. :
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't sent a fax for at least 2 years and I'm buggered if I know where the fax machines are in the office to be honest. Everything is done via email and we have a big document printer that can scan and email the document to you.

I had to do a lot of forms for a client a week ago and everything was done by scanning/email.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:36 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

the ATO will only accept 'stuff' by fax as well.

absolute Pain in the backside
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I get invoices faxed to me. But only from our contractors out in the middle of no-where. Most don't have any internet, so it'd be hard for them to e-mail me
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Mmmm funnily enough, here in UK I am in the process buying a 4WD for the wife to be safe and sound in while I'm working in Aus. The dealer is constantly asking me to fax them this and that - haven't used a fax machine for 10 years till this week!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

i started in the workforce in 2001 - i dont recall even seeing a physical fax machine in the past ten years???

the places ive work you basically click on new email and attached a file + write whatever and in the address field to type the phone no@rightfax and it would send a confirmation back to you saying all good.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Really? Sounds like the dark ages.
Its Queensland
Even the weather warnings from the Bureau of Met come by fax, as well as by email and text, though they moved with the times last year and gave us the option of stopping the fax service - my boss was horrified at the thought
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:13 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

funny enough I've always wondered this too. if you dare suggest email you're possessed
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:59 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
funny enough I've always wondered this too. if you dare suggest email you're possessed
Its weird isn't it! The office I'm in at present has a huge mix of European staff in with the Aussies, and the Chief Financial Officer, who is like God, is Irish, so we are working on civilising them rest pf them and keep reinforcing the email usage as opposed to fax, councils seem Ok with it, but when we deal with the rest of the government they still want everything faxed!!
Old Nov 12th 2011, 12:47 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its weird isn't it! The office I'm in at present has a huge mix of European staff in with the Aussies, and the Chief Financial Officer, who is like God, is Irish, so we are working on civilising them rest pf them and keep reinforcing the email usage as opposed to fax, councils seem Ok with it, but when we deal with the rest of the government they still want everything faxed!!
I left UK years ago and mentioned to my colleagues I don't think fax's were used at all in UK anymore

Ive not used a fax for at least 10 years before I left UK in fact since computers were used, fax became defunct.

wonder if its cos Aus is so remote in places and email not available in as many areas as UK
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:22 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I left UK years ago and mentioned to my colleagues I don't think fax's were used at all in UK anymore

Ive not used a fax for at least 10 years before I left UK in fact since computers were used, fax became defunct.

wonder if its cos Aus is so remote in places and email not available in as many areas as UK
Possibly - though during the floods last season we found it was the faxes that had the big issues, as our people in remote areas were still picking up emails via phones even if they lost their computers. Faxes on the other hand just sank without trace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.