Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Expo 09 - How useful will it be?

Australia Expo 09 - How useful will it be?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:05 pm
RRE
Just Joined

RRE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Expo 09 - How useful will it be?

Hi...I'm booked in for the Australia Expo 09 in Leeds (UK) next March and am wondering if anyone out there went to an Expo before making their visa application. If so, was it useful and what sort of things can I expect? I have obviously checked the Expo website but fine details are a little sketchy at this early stage.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Expo 09 - How useful will it be?

I went to one in london before I came over to aus. I think its worth doing, it puts in perspective how many people are also thinking on the same lines and can give you some useful contacts. I remeber sitting down and talking with people from shipping companies and also with moneycorp who answered a lot of questions regarding moving money abroad. I eventually ended up using them for the transfer and they have been brilliant.

I would say give it a go, you will find it useful
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:21 pm
RRE
Just Joined

RRE is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I will be going to both the Aus and Canada Expo's. Were there many employers there? I fancy leaving a few CV's.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

There were only a few employers at the one I went to but none in the area I work in sadly. Also forgot to mention there were offical stands for the aus government that were giving out info on visa types and you could chat with someone about possible ways in
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I went to one in London and its good to speak to different state governments especially if anyone is borderline on having enough points. It was only when I spoke to them that I found there were different wanted lists for each state for different types of trades to make it possible to move over with a 2 year commitment to living in a particular area.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by RRE
Thanks. I will be going to both the Aus and Canada Expo's. Were there many employers there? I fancy leaving a few CV's.
Hi "RRE",

You left us a "PM" last week - have just replied.

We also went to the Aussie Immigration Expo last year - in April at London Olympia - there were ALOT of people - obviously with the same plans of Immigrating.

Was very interesting, informative and most of the stands very helpful and friendly! However NO ONE was able to tell us how we would match my partners Career/Skills/Qualifications to the "SKILLED LIST" for South Australia. He is a "Procurement Manager" - fully CIPS qualified. It did all seem so positive at the Expo and we felt so confident, yet once back home we still can't match his SKILLS Description - even though CIPS Australia say they are in demand for people who are CIPS qualified with experience etc.

With regards to CV's - my partner adjusted his CV - according to the Aussie layout - he took 10 copies with him!!! Not one place would take his CV - they said they do not take CV's unless you have your Visa and ready to go (their words to us). But they did say that with my partners Qualifications and Experience he would have no prob getting a very good job once out here - but until he has the Visa they don't take CV's. They said "Once you have your Visa's - contact us and send us your CV". They were very friendly and helpful. But just wanted to pre-warn you - to avoid disappointment - they don't seem to take CV's at these Expo's!

But otherwise - the Expo's are worth going to - best to get there either first thing or mid afternoon seemed to get a bit quieter. If you have toddlers - my advice - try get someone to Babysit for the day for you - because it is manic inside, noise, jam packed and little ones seemed to get so miserable as it was too much for them and can restrict a Husband & wife from seeing Agencies/Advisors together.

Good luck!

Last edited by Devonfamily; Jan 14th 2009 at 8:09 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RRE
Hi...I'm booked in for the Australia Expo 09 in Leeds (UK) next March and am wondering if anyone out there went to an Expo before making their visa application. If so, was it useful and what sort of things can I expect? I have obviously checked the Expo website but fine details are a little sketchy at this early stage.
Expo is ok if you want to register with agencies, get loads of free pens, speak to banks & finance people. Nothing you can do with research on the web. You can set up quotes for removals etc etc and get a certain amount of free advice.
We went to Leeds last year, but mainly to speak to WA Education people as my OH had an interview with the shortly after expo. Was very good for us mainly as it settled her nerves and we got a discount voucher for medicals.

Went to an expo in York a few years ago and was awful, way too many people who pushed and shoved themselves to front of queues, very annoying when you have young kids with you. Leeds one was fairly quiet, but with all the doom and gloom in the media currently I'd expect all Expo's to anywhere in the world to be packed out with the rush to flee the country lol.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking where are the people discussing the Leeds expo from? I live near Selby

When I was in Australia I used the same CV I use here, could someone tell me the difference please?