British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-economy-bubble-fiscal-cliff-recession-stuff-770625/)

moneypenny20 Nov 13th 2012 10:59 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by go4it (Post 10381252)
Look guys, it isn't the purpose to make fun out of a struggling economy but just to warn people to look closer because a lot of you out there are putting all you've got into going Down under with a dream. I'm only trying to open up your eyes before taking the dicision and lose all what you've got on making the trip (approx. around 10.000 with a small family) and discover that you're not able to find a job and lose all of the rest of your savings in the costs of living for at least the first half year. And believe me, Australia became very expensive over the last few years. It is clear that the economy is slowing down here and it's becoming more and more difficult to find a job.

Thanks. I'm sure no one realised as it's never been discussed before

BadgeIsBack Nov 13th 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Aussie inflation rises
 

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10380153)
You noticed as well then ? :D

if he's a porter, G might end up bumping into him in a corridor....

steve`o Nov 14th 2012 2:28 am

Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10380366)
Threads merged. :zzz:

Apologies (sort of) to the OPs of the three threads I've merged but there's seriously no need for three threads on the same subject especially when some people post the same thing in each of them.

couldn't you merge this one into it too, its about as relevant as most posts ;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777266

papilon Nov 14th 2012 5:53 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 
The wife works for one of the big 4 auditors. She tells me that many of her clients are now laying people off. These are mainly high paying jobs. Even the big auditors have started cutting back and that hasn't happened since the height of the GFC.
I was also talking with a manager last week of one of Melbournes largest residential volume builders. They have cut the amount of building supervisors from 50 to 25 in the last 6 months. That's a huge cutback.

Margaret3 Nov 14th 2012 5:57 am

Re: Aussie inflation rises
 

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10378813)
Pray tell what's a pay rise? :confused:

I haven't had one for years now.:thumbdown:

Neither has my husband (printer in melbourne for the last 5 years, think his last pay rise was about 3.5 years ago) but to tell you the truth we count ourselves lucky, we are both working, i highly doubt my OH would be working in scotland today.

Margaret3 Nov 14th 2012 6:00 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 
[QUOTE=bingobob777;10381238]maybe tedious for you, but let's be honest it's nowhere near as mind numbingly boring as

mod or rocker
word association 2012
cricket
last say
first say



:lol:

Pit Bull. Nov 14th 2012 7:39 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by go4it (Post 10381252)
Look guys, it isn't the purpose to make fun out of a struggling economy but just to warn people to look closer because a lot of you out there are putting all you've got into going Down under with a dream. I'm only trying to open up your eyes before taking the dicision and lose all what you've got on making the trip (approx. around 10.000 with a small family) and discover that you're not able to find a job and lose all of the rest of your savings in the costs of living for at least the first half year. And believe me, Australia became very expensive over the last few years. It is clear that the economy is slowing down here and it's becoming more and more difficult to find a job.


I think this is very good advice and extremely relevant, but everyone's circumstances are different and you might not be aware of this not living here in the UK, but there has been a massive shift in millions of people's working circumstances, due to the cuts and austerity measures, which the negative effects are many and varied and no one is saying or thinking its going to be easy finding work in Australia and clearly at the moment there seems to be a slow down, but again it is far worse in the UK and that's what is great about a site like this, it gives people information about how the reality of life is in Australia and each individual will have to make their own decisions, based on what they are also experiencing in the UK. I used to say that if you have a good job in the UK your best staying put, but our jobs when we first started in them, were thought of as jobs for life, but they aren't anymore and it's a sign of the times.

chris955 Nov 14th 2012 7:52 am

Re: Aussie inflation rises
 

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 10381341)
if he's a porter, G might end up bumping into him in a corridor....

He isnt a porter, a prison guard apparently so maybe G might bump into him anyway. Only joking G :D

chris955 Nov 14th 2012 7:57 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by go4it (Post 10381252)
Look guys, it isn't the purpose to make fun out of a struggling economy but just to warn people to look closer because a lot of you out there are putting all you've got into going Down under with a dream. I'm only trying to open up your eyes before taking the dicision and lose all what you've got on making the trip (approx. around 10.000 with a small family) and discover that you're not able to find a job and lose all of the rest of your savings in the costs of living for at least the first half year. And believe me, Australia became very expensive over the last few years. It is clear that the economy is slowing down here and it's becoming more and more difficult to find a job.

I think it is fair enough to voice your concerns, the current slow down is affecting many many people and families in Australia and potential migrants need this kind of input from those actually living there and not relying on dodgy stats from Google. Of course just like here most are doing fine, many are doing very well but many others are struggling. Zero pay rises are most certainly not restricted to the UK and it is clearly absurd to to think so and dangerous to imply it is. People need to know the good and the bad.

commonwealth Nov 14th 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

moneypenny20 Nov 14th 2012 10:46 am

Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth
 

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 10381543)
couldn't you merge this one into it too, its about as relevant as most posts ;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777266

:lol: The OP was binned, I was hoping hoping the thread would die on it's own, not be given new life. ;)

bcworld Nov 14th 2012 10:51 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 
...can we please have '/fiscal cliff' added to the thread title...just in case!?

moneypenny20 Nov 14th 2012 10:53 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10382053)
...can we please have '/fiscal cliff' added to the thread title...just in case!?

Will it fit and where would you like it? After economy, bubble, explosion or recession? :lol:

bcworld Nov 14th 2012 11:08 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10382058)
Will it fit and where would you like it? After economy, bubble, explosion or recession? :lol:

Decisions!

If it won't fit maybe replace explosion?? :unsure:

Bernieboy Nov 14th 2012 11:09 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 
[QUOTE=Margaret3;10381675]

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10381238)
maybe tedious for you, but let's be honest it's nowhere near as mind numbingly boring as

mod or rocker
word association 2012
cricket
last say
first say



:lol:

Well maybe the last 4;)

TheArmChairDetective Nov 14th 2012 11:17 am

Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10382045)
:lol: The OP was binned, I was hoping hoping the thread would die on it's own, not be given new life. ;)

The Original Poster was binned?
Wasn't it the other way round?

commonwealth Nov 14th 2012 11:59 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/explosion/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10382096)
Decisions!

If it won't fit maybe replace explosion?? :unsure:

i love explosions. ;)

moneypenny20 Nov 14th 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth
 

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 10382116)
The Original Poster was binned?
Wasn't it the other way round?

The bin was the OP? Nah don't think so. :lol: The OP of the piles one was an old international troll, the thread's still there I think, no looked. :D

TheArmChairDetective Nov 14th 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10382282)
The bin was the OP? Nah don't think so. :lol: The OP of the piles one was an old international troll, the thread's still there I think, no looked. :D

One lives and learns:D

moneypenny20 Nov 14th 2012 1:14 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
Just for BCWorld.:lol:

commonwealth Nov 14th 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
can you also change Australia to Sweden please? Ikea are not hiring more people these days.

moneypenny20 Nov 14th 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10382726)
can you also change Australia to Sweden please? Ikea are not hiring more people these days.

Now I don't care about this thread but that's possibly one change I won't be making. :lol:

bcworld Nov 14th 2012 10:27 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10382298)
Just for BCWorld.:lol:

Thanks! :D :wub:

commonwealth Nov 15th 2012 1:20 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
oh but fiscal cliff is a US not aussie thing :(

Pit Bull. Nov 19th 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
Any sign of that long awaited recession in Australia it's 21 years and counting of continuous growth with growth predicted again next year. Looks like a triple dip recession here in sad old Blighty, ah well.

commonwealth Nov 19th 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
https://c479107.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/...1340944592.jpg

bingobob777 Nov 19th 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10391126)
Any sign of that long awaited recession in Australia it's 21 years and counting of continuous growth with growth predicted again next year. Looks like a triple dip recession here in sad old Blighty, ah well.

you're sad

Margaret3 Nov 19th 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10391451)
you're sad

ah don't worry about it, I think someone is a very good troll, coz if they're not, jeeezzzz , i feel sorry for them.

Pit Bull. Nov 20th 2012 8:21 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
Any sign of it ever coming, its sad some posters want to see Australia in recession, but some sad folk are like that.

commonwealth Nov 20th 2012 10:36 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
well me and my friends still have good paying jobs. a new migrant friend got a job. i personally know no-one without a job. there are jobless people out there for sure but at the moment i don't know anyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances. in fact the previously unemployed are now employed full time.

Pit Bull. Nov 20th 2012 10:48 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10392163)
well me and my friends still have good paying jobs. a new migrant friend got a job. i personally know no-one without a job. there are jobless people out there for sure but at the moment i don't know anyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances. in fact the previously unemployed are now employed full time.


You do mean in Australia, don't you? :thumbsup::nod:

commonwealth Nov 20th 2012 11:19 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
Sydney to be precise.

Pit Bull. Nov 20th 2012 11:20 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10392241)
Sydney to be precise.


:thumbsup:

commonwealth Nov 20th 2012 11:34 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
i dont know about other places. i cannot speak for wollongong or esperance.

Pit Bull. Nov 20th 2012 11:42 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10392277)
i dont know about other places. i cannot speak for wollongong or esperance.


Well all my many friends and relatives in Australia say works still plentiful where they are, not jst as great, but still far better there than in Blighty. To be fair there are places here where unemployment is low, in these areas it's similar to Oz.

moneypenny20 Nov 20th 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10392294)
Well all my many friends and relatives in Australia say works still plentiful where they are, not jst as great, but still far better there than in Blighty. To be fair there are places here where unemployment is low, in these areas it's similar to Oz.

How do they know? Are they looking for work in both countries? That's the only way they could possibly say. Having been unemployed for 18 months, I can tell you jobs are fairly thin on the ground. (In my very personal, on the ground, experience of course).

The Squire of Onchan Nov 20th 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 
... Caveat ...

This obviously depends on the sector of work or specialised field you are looking to work in.


Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10392383)
How do they know? Are they looking for work in both countries? That's the only way they could possibly say. Having been unemployed for 18 months, I can tell you jobs are fairly thin on the ground. (In my very personal, on the ground, experience of course).


chris955 Nov 21st 2012 7:37 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10392383)
How do they know? Are they looking for work in both countries? That's the only way they could possibly say. Having been unemployed for 18 months, I can tell you jobs are fairly thin on the ground. (In my very personal, on the ground, experience of course).

But you are only going by personal experience of actually being there, dont you know that jobs are plentiful in Australia ?

RedDragon2008 Nov 21st 2012 7:46 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10393865)
dont you know that jobs are plentiful in Australia ?

Mainly because Australians are allergic to "hard" work

chris955 Nov 21st 2012 7:49 am

Re: Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'
 

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 (Post 10393881)
Mainly because Australians are allergic to "hard" work

Not saying I agree but wouldnt be the first time I have heard that said.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:40 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.