Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'

Australia economy/bubble/fiscal cliff/recession 'stuff'

Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:49 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia celebrates 21 years of continuous economic growth

i see more ongoing construction projects today compared to last year. and the barangaroo precinct is now starting big scale construction. the sydney convention precinct will be closed for reconstruction. i see holes being dug up for apartment towers, 2 stations away from our suburbs. and it's all pre-sold.

but thats just my observation.

Last edited by commonwealth; Oct 26th 2012 at 2:54 am.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:00 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i see more ongoing construction projects today compared to last year. and the barangaroo precinct is now starting big scale construction. the sydney convention precinct will be closed for reconstruction. i see holes being dug up for apartment towers, 2 stations away from our suburbs. and it's all pre-sold.

but thats just my observation.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-1...d-jobs/4200352

http://www.abc.net.au/news/topic/bui...d-construction

dont get me wrong anything been built is good but compared to just 3 or 4 years ago its dismal

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 26th 2012 at 3:16 am.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

well. but my previously unemployed friends have found perm jobs and we're busy with new deals in the office. and i'm getting mote calls from recruiters about openings.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:26 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
you really are living in la la land mate,
everyone i know is telling me how tight work is, ,my own experiences is that works down to a couple of days a week at the moment ( you had to knock people back a couple of years ago ) and you prattle on about growth what growth? you mean some mine some where that employes a couple of thousand workers has shipped a couple of additional tankers full of iron abroad
whilst the rest of the working population about 11 million struggles ?

f-ing delusional, your in for such a shock

Yeah we should believe you and yer mate, instead of the economists, it's them that predicted the 3% growth not me, your making yourself look like an angry idiot, get yer facts right fella before issuing the personal attacks.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

There are winners and losers in all economies. I work in the Transport industry and during the Howard years that industry was dead in this country, now that Labor is helping to fund many transport programmes around the country there is plenty of work in my field.

However if you are in something like retail shopping, then you're screwed.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:37 am
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
There are winners and losers in all economies.
precisely. one sector is not an indication of the whole country's economy.

retailers in Aus are suffering but the sale of SUVs has reached record highs. and saving account balances are growing. what does that mean?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:42 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

precisely. one sector is not an indication of the whole country's economy.

retailers in Aus are suffering but the sale of SUVs has reached record highs. and saving account balances are growing. what does that mean?
Yeah but, out of the 11 million people employed in Australia, over 10 million work in the mines, or so we are led to believe, so if the mining struggles so does everywhere.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:09 am
Daffyd Duck

more than 3/4 of the aust economy is represented by the services industry.

even sydney's economy is bigger than the australian mining industry
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

more than 3/4 of the aust economy is represented by the services industry.

even sydney's economy is bigger than the australian mining industry
yeh but the services industry is fecked as well.

it's like the UK but 5-6 years behind

people think they're rich because their house goes up in value, start spunking money on clothes, hairdos and new nails. On every street corner hairdressers and nail salons pop up.

fast forward 5 years, people still need to pay their mortgage, their wages have stopped rising and there's no more equity left in the house.

so they stop buying shoes, haircuts and new nails. Then they all realise that having to pay 50% more for a house than 10 years ago probably isn't a good idea, but by then it's too late, if house prices were to fall they would be even more fu**ed.

hence 10 years of stagflation.

coming to the whole westernised world. Japan are 20+ years in, the UK 6-7 years. Australia just had a much, much lower starting point to build from

and why is people cutting each others hair any better an economy than people selling financial products? Neither are really needed?

Last edited by bingobob777; Oct 26th 2012 at 11:34 am. Reason: added last line
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is the shit has hit the fan at hubbys work laying off people left right and center and hubby is scared for his job for the first time in 7 years Mackay/Maitand mining company.

I was talking to one of the parents tonight and he was saying alot of young blokes had work contracts and had bought houses and now have been laid off also there was 20 hours of overtime on offer now nothing he did say should pick up around may time again

I am hoping hubbys job is ok but if not we may have to move to where the work is
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:55 am
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by bingobob777
yeh but the services industry is fecked as well.

it's like the UK but 5-6 years behind

people think they're rich because their house goes up in value, start spunking money on clothes, hairdos and new nails. On every street corner hairdressers and nail salons pop up.

fast forward 5 years, people still need to pay their mortgage, their wages have stopped rising and there's no more equity left in the house.

so they stop buying shoes, haircuts and new nails. Then they all realise that having to pay 50% more for a house than 10 years ago probably isn't a good idea, but by then it's too late, if house prices were to fall they would be even more fu**ed.

hence 10 years of stagflation.

coming to the whole westernised world. Japan are 20+ years in, the UK 6-7 years. Australia just had a much, much lower starting point to build from

and why is people cutting each others hair any better an economy than people selling financial products? Neither are really needed?
imaginations . . .
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

over 10 million work in the mines[/QUOTE]

50 million
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Yeah we should believe you and yer mate, instead of the economists, it's them that predicted the 3% growth not me, your making yourself look like an angry idiot, get yer facts right fella before issuing the personal attacks.
i think you`ll find that that's a government prediction
and havnt they been so right lately

what was it last years prediction
the balance of spending back in the black by 2012

currently
Australia reported a current account deficit equivalent to 11801 Million AUD in the second quarter of 2012.

wow they are so accurate

when i said you were living in la la land i was spot on if you take that as a personal attack perhaps you need to grow up that or keep out of the adult conversations

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steve`o
i think you`ll find that that's a government prediction
and havnt they been so right lately

what was it last years prediction
the balance of spending back in the black by 2012

currently
Australia reported a current account deficit equivalent to 11801 Million AUD in the second quarter of 2012.

wow they are so accurate

when i said you were living in la la land i was spot on if you take that as a personal attack perhaps you need to grow up that or keep out of the adult conversations

Steve

Chill out pussy boy, you sound like a stress head.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:21 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Yeah but, out of the 11 million people employed in Australia, over 10 million work in the mines, or so we are led to believe, so if the mining struggles so does everywhere.
where do you get 10 million from

wtf ? mining represents about 7% of turnover in au less is terms of employment

try about a quarter of a million
http://www.miningcareers.com/working...erals_industry

you don't do the statistics and predictions for the au government do you ?

steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.