Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia driving licence

Australia driving licence

Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Australia driving licence

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Got me thinking now.... this question has been asked loads of times before and noone has questioned the temp. spouse visa thing before. I've checked on the QLD & NSW webpages and both say just for PR. I'm not considered to have PR by the govt for anything else (benefits/education/employment) so I don't see why this would be the exception!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm about a month over if thats the case! Will email QLD Transport in the morning and report back
Oooops!! You could start a thread on knowledge test questions for all those taking the test! hee hee In the meantime, I'd take the back roads for a while if I were you!
We wait for your response!
Stace
Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
Oooops!! You could start a thread on knowledge test questions for all those taking the test! hee hee In the meantime, I'd take the back roads for a while if I were you!
We wait for your response!
Stace

Haven't heard back from them, but I did double-check the info on their website was still the same as it was 4 months ago. It would appear (for QLD anyway) you need both residency AND PR. The Aussie govt doesn't consider me to have PR yet, so I don't think QLD Transport will do either.. but who knows!!

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...question1#over

How long do I have to change over? (overseas licence)
You must change the licence to a Queensland driver licence when all of the following apply:
- You obtain resident/immigrant status in Australia.
- You take up permanent residence in Queensland.

Once these apply, you need to change the licence over within three months

Its a bit ambiguous to say the least! :scared:

[edit] I decided to call them.... unsuprisingly the guy was confused too, so now I'm on hold

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 21st 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:04 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

[edit] I decided to call them.... unsuprisingly the guy was confused too, so now I'm on hold

Okay....the guy came back to me with all the info, 90 days to get your licence etc... Then I asked him if that was for me (explained my temp. visa situation to him) and he said that I wouldn't need to get a QLD visa until my PR was granted.

Will see what reply I get from email and decide then! If they agree, I'll have it in writing, if they don't, I guess I'll be taking my test
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Australia driving licence

Okay....the guy came back to me with all the info, 90 days to get your licence etc... Then I asked him if that was for me (explained my temp. visa situation to him) and he said that I wouldn't need to get a QLD visa until my PR was granted.

Will see what reply I get from email and decide then! If they agree, I'll have it in writing, if they don't, I guess I'll be taking my test
I've just looked at the website you provided and although you're not PR, you still reside in QLD with the intention of staying permenantly. I think they say 3 months so that tourists can drive on their licenses. The way I understood it is that you're a resident here, and living "Aussie" so you need Aussie license.
Anyway, watch this space viewers for the next update on this unsolved mystery
Stace
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I've just looked at the website you provided and although you're not PR, you still reside in QLD with the intention of staying permenantly. I think they say 3 months so that tourists can drive on their licenses. The way I understood it is that you're a resident here, and living "Aussie" so you need Aussie license.
Anyway, watch this space viewers for the next update on this unsolved mystery
Stace

I wonder what someone on a 457visa would do?? I drove on my UK licence for 12 months last year on a WHV! Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

I hear and understand what you're saying, but if you go off their website (and Allan, the nice man I just spoke to!) until I get my PR visa actually in my hand, they don't consider I need the QLD licence..... I don't like all this uncertainty!

I've decided to march my lil butt down to the city office at lunchtime, so we'll see what they say. Silly thing is, I always intended on doing my licence before I got PR, just been putting it off.... wonder if I could go and fluke the test this afternoon

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 22nd 2004 at 12:48 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

No matter what any worker at the Transport Department says, it comes down to what the Policeman that stops you says

Pop down to the local Police Station and ask them

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:00 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No matter what any worker at the Transport Department says, it comes down to what the Policeman that stops you says

Pop down to the local Police Station and ask them

I would do, if I knew where it was! Isn't that terrible, I really have no idea!
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:25 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Haven't heard back from them, but I did double-check the info on their website was still the same as it was 4 months ago. It would appear (for QLD anyway) you need both residency AND PR. The Aussie govt doesn't consider me to have PR yet, so I don't think QLD Transport will do either.. but who knows!!

How long do I have to change over? (overseas licence)
You must change the licence to a Queensland driver licence when all of the following apply:
- You obtain resident/immigrant status in Australia.
- You take up permanent residence in Queensland.

Once these apply, you need to change the licence over within three months
Clear as mud then! Effectively we provisionals have a form of residency status in Oz. When QLD transport talk about taking up permanent residence in Queensland are they talking about permanent resident immigration status or just settling there to live and work? I still think we need to get Oz licences but keep us informed of your progress with the authorities (and thanks for sharing it with us).
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

I wonder what someone on a 457visa would do?? I drove on my UK licence for 12 months last year on a WHV! Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

I hear and understand what you're saying, but if you go off their website (and Allan, the nice man I just spoke to!) until I get my PR visa actually in my hand, they don't consider I need the QLD licence..... I don't like all this uncertainty!

I've decided to march my lil butt down to the city office at lunchtime, so we'll see what they say. Silly thing is, I always intended on doing my licence before I got PR, just been putting it off.... wonder if I could go and fluke the test this afternoon
Nnooooooo... :scared: not the RTA people!! Don't go there!!
I avoid the place like the plague. I ended up having to go 5 times before being able to sit my test as each person I saw told me a different story, then I didn't have the right ID...blah, blah, blah.
Good Luck & I REALLY mean it!!
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

By the way, what's the 457 visa?
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 1:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

By the way, what's the 457 visa?

The 4 year business sponsored visa. Just a temp one.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 3:26 am
ABCDiamond

Nnooooooo... :scared: not the RTA people!! Don't go there!!
Especially if you live in QLD !! www.rta.qld.gov.au
They may be even more confused than you expect

In QLD the RTA= Residential Tenancies Authority

Oh, and for those not here yet....
In NSW RTA= Roads and Traffic Authority
www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 3:39 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Especially if you live in QLD !! www.rta.qld.gov.au
They may be even more confused than you expect

In QLD the RTA= Residential Tenancies Authority

Oh, and for those not here yet....
In NSW RTA= Roads and Traffic Authority
www.rta.nsw.gov.au
LOL

Anyways, here's the report from the QLD Transport Brisbane City office!!

If you have a temp. visa (this includes the temp spouse visa) you do not require a QLD licence. You only need this within 90days of getting your PR.

I asked the lady the question about three times in different ways to check, she probably thought I was mad, but came back with the same answer each time. She said if I wanted to take it I could, but did not actually have to!

So, that's made me happy. What I thought was true has been confirmed by two people today now, including the helpline section manager! Thats not to say Stacey isn't right, NSW may be different!!
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 3:48 am
ABCDiamond

Thats not to say Stacey isn't right, NSW may be different!!
Not sure about NSW myself, but if you are in or going to WA, then look at: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...out/visit.html
If you are a visitor to Western Australia you may drive for a period of twelve months if you hold a valid driver's licence issued in your country of origin or a state/territory of Australia of which you are a permanent resident.
This seems to say that even a temp visa holder must get a WA licence after 12 months.

All States have the potential to have different rules.

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

LOL

Anyways, here's the report from the QLD Transport Brisbane City office!!

If you have a temp. visa (this includes the temp spouse visa) you do not require a QLD licence. You only need this within 90days of getting your PR.

I asked the lady the question about three times in different ways to check, she probably thought I was mad, but came back with the same answer each time. She said if I wanted to take it I could, but did not actually have to!

So, that's made me happy. What I thought was true has been confirmed by two people today now, including the helpline section manager! Thats not to say Stacey isn't right, NSW may be different!!
Good one At least your issue has now been resolved. Just make sure you get it in writing and have it to back you up in case Mr Plod stops you on it.
Soooo....who's looking at getting a NSW license :scared:

Well done mlbonner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.