Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia driving licence

Australia driving licence

Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Australia driving licence

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
What visa are you on mlbonner? I haven't come across many people on the 309 (from memory) spouse visa. Can anyone share experiences on the 2nd part process?
Ta,
Stace
I'm on the two year temp visa at the moment, should get PR in about 14 months I think! From what I understand the second part is just a much scaled down and simplier version than the first! The important thing is to make sure you keep DIMIA aware of your current address, as they'll send out all the info you need to apply about 3 months before PR is due.

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew to Sydney in Nov after not seeing my bf for 5 months!! Not been to Australia before and absolutely love it here.
Trying really hard to find a job at the moment, but as xmas almost here not much work around. Might have a temping job in Jan for 3 months and have an interview for that tomorrow. fingers crossed
The hardest thing about being here is missing family and friends back in the uk, as only know my bf here at the mo. hopefully will get a job soon so i can start meeting new people etc.

Su
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Australia driving licence

I didn't realise you were in the same boat!
My PR is due Feb 2006 so I have a way to go yet. I've given DIMIA my sister-in-laws address as we're constantly moving around, hopefully we'll buy a house next year. Keep me updated on your progress if you don't mind, it will be interesting to see what they ask of you.
Cheers Stacey

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I'm on the two year temp visa at the moment, should get PR in about 14 months I think! From what I understand the second part is just a much scaled down and simplier version than the first! The important thing is to make sure you keep DIMIA aware of your current address, as they'll send out all the info you need to apply about 3 months before PR is due.

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Know EXACTLY how you feel!!!
I had some crap temp jobs, for the odd day and the agencies take so long in getting back to you that it takes forever! I found it really hard having to depend a lot on my hubbie as I'm used to my independance. I've been in a temp job for 4 months (hoping to go permanent). I thought I'd get a job and meet people. Unfortunately there's only 4 people in the office and about 13 people in the company in total (of which there's me and another female) so I haven't met any female friends, which I was hoping to do. Nevermind....I'm sure it will come in time!
But good luck with your job interviews and I hope you get some work soon!
Stacey

Originally Posted by suzysu
I flew to Sydney in Nov after not seeing my bf for 5 months!! Not been to Australia before and absolutely love it here.
Trying really hard to find a job at the moment, but as xmas almost here not much work around. Might have a temping job in Jan for 3 months and have an interview for that tomorrow. fingers crossed
The hardest thing about being here is missing family and friends back in the uk, as only know my bf here at the mo. hopefully will get a job soon so i can start meeting new people etc.

Su
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:58 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I didn't realise you were in the same boat!
My PR is due Feb 2006 so I have a way to go yet. I've given DIMIA my sister-in-laws address as we're constantly moving around, hopefully we'll buy a house next year. Keep me updated on your progress if you don't mind, it will be interesting to see what they ask of you.
Cheers Stacey
Yep, same visa-boat as you I'll let you know how I go, still a while yet though, so just filing anything that looks like it might be needed away until requested!!

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2004, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

ha ha yeah I do that...MyVisa Box is my sacred posession at the moment!!
I keep any little thing possible!

Yep, same visa-boat as you I'll let you know how I go, still a while yet though, so just filing anything that looks like it might be needed away until requested!!

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Cheers
Yep, second stage is like the first stage, so get ready with stat decs again! For the second stage, these have to be from Au citizens, and you need to also supply evidence of their citizenship.

Other stuff you will need is all of the proof of genuine ongoing relationship, joint financial commitments etc etc.

One interesting addition was DIMIA also suggest sending them envelopes addressed to the two of you. After a quick rummage though our garbage bin, I found some, and duly sent them to DIMIA, complete with grease stains and tomato sauce splodges! After granting my PR visa, DIMIA kindly returned the envelopes!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Yep, second stage is like the first stage, so get ready with stat decs again! For the second stage, these have to be from Au citizens, and you need to also supply evidence of their citizenship.

Other stuff you will need is all of the proof of genuine ongoing relationship, joint financial commitments etc etc.

One interesting addition was DIMIA also suggest sending them envelopes addressed to the two of you. After a quick rummage though our garbage bin, I found some, and duly sent them to DIMIA, complete with grease stains and tomato sauce splodges! After granting my PR visa, DIMIA kindly returned the envelopes!
ha ha that was kind of them Trev!!
I take it you've been there done that on the 2nd stage? Thanks for the info, every bit is useful and stored in my Visa section of my brain! Are the medicals exactly the same as the 1st stage?
Thanks for your advise!
Stace
Old Dec 21st 2004, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

ha ha that was kind of them Trev!!
I take it you've been there done that on the 2nd stage? Thanks for the info, every bit is useful and stored in my Visa section of my brain! Are the medicals exactly the same as the 1st stage?
Thanks for your advise!
Stace
No medicals required, though you do need to get a police check thing done again, this time by the Aussie police
Old Dec 21st 2004, 5:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I remember your envelope story, always made me smile that they sent them back to you I actually did that for stage one as well... I daresay it'll be happening for stage two, too!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian Permanent residents can also do the stat decs for the final stage processing. The proof required is a certified copy of a passport, visa (if applicable), birth certificate or citizenship certificate. I also had to provide an Australian PCC and a form 80. I think our evidence was down to 20 pages. A couple of bank statements, savings statements, car ownership papers, joint tenancy, joint travel and wedding photos were the items I remember putting in.

It seemed much simpler than the first stage but maybe that was because I was more knowledable on stat decs and certified copying. The fewer forms to fill out helped. I also only put in evidence for the 2 year period after the initial application.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

One final important note on final stage spouse applications.

The final decision is due 2 years from date of APPLICATION and not visa grant or validation date. 3 moths before decision on PR is due you should receive a pack from your local DIMIA office containing some forms and an outline of the requirments.

Keep DIMIA up to date with your current address so you can receive the current form.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:08 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Thats a temp visa. You're not perm until the next stage (two years later). If you have a full UK licence then you'll just need to do the theory (multi-choice) within 3 months
I'm another one who has passed stage one of the spouse visa. With regard to a valid driving licence I've assumed that I need to change my licence to an Oz one within three months. Temporary visas don't need to do this but isn't the spouse visa classed as a provisional permanent visa?

If I can keep my UK licence until I am granted full residency in a couple of years great but I don't think this is the case.

Old Dec 21st 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
I'm another one who has passed stage one of the spouse visa. With regard to a valid driving licence I've assumed that I need to change my licence to an Oz one within three months. Temporary visas don't need to do this but isn't the spouse visa classed as a provisional permanent visa?

If I can keep my UK licence until I am granted full residency in a couple of years great but I don't think this is the case.

Hi Kentish Man,
Yep you got it...you have to pass the knowledge test to swap your licence over to Aussie one (providing you have had your full UK license for about 4 years I think, might be 3) within 3 months. I think the spouse visa is classed as provisional permanent as you say. You can go to the RTA website and do practise runs on the knowledge test.
Good luck!!
Stace
Old Dec 21st 2004, 10:49 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Kentish Man

Got me thinking now.... this question has been asked loads of times before and noone has questioned the temp. spouse visa thing before. I've checked on the QLD & NSW webpages and both say just for PR. I'm not considered to have PR by the govt for anything else (benefits/education/employment) so I don't see why this would be the exception!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm about a month over if thats the case! Will email QLD Transport in the morning and report back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.