Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - double glazing installation

Australia - double glazing installation

Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Australia - double glazing installation

We are looking to replace some windows and may decide to go down the double glazing route. Has anyone had this done in a house they have bought in Australia? What did it cost (I know this will vary by size of house but some idea would be helpful)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - double glazing installation

Originally Posted by MartinH
We are looking to replace some windows and may decide to go down the double glazing route. Has anyone had this done in a house they have bought in Australia? What did it cost (I know this will vary by size of house but some idea would be helpful)
I dunno but I went to visit Stegbar the other day and decided that I couldnt even afford to replace one window let alone a house full of them. The very large window/door combo I was looking at was $4000 plus installation. Not a cheap enterprise from all accounts!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need Wol but you may not want to hear what he has to say
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We got Stegbar double-glazing windows and sliding doors, and Crimsafe screens installed 2 years ago. I think it was roughly $35k for the whole lot - 18 windows of various sizes, a timber door, and 3 sliding doors.

The temperature inside the house has improved significantly - cooler for longer in the summer, and warmer now in the autumn/winter. With two very young children, I hope we'll be able to save a bit on aircon and heating in the long run. Noise level has dropped as well once all the windows are shut, however still not enough to drown out the noise made by neighbour's son's and grandson's motorbikes.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think you need Wol but you may not want to hear what he has to say
Too dam' right!

IIRC ours cost around $42k plus lawyer's fees <g>
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

We recently got a quote and it came to $36K!..................................So we decided to get the windows tinted instead.......................$1300
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

http://www.woodhil-joinery.com.au

One of many companys
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australia - double glazing installation

We can't afford full double glazing, but I've been looking at these guys and these guys, who both offer secondary glazing. The house in question is this one, which we bought in Adelaide last April. It has sash windows throughout.

Can any BEP members give me an informed opinion on the pros and cons of secondary glazing?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australia - double glazing installation

Nobody...?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

Secondry glazing will give you some benefit from heat and noise but quite frankly, its a proverbial pain in the a##e when it comes to cleaning the inside of your windows. The other major problem can be condensation forming on the inside causing pooling of water on your window sills.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:13 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Yup we've got dark tints, and veranders so the heat does get in, and the house is staying pretty warm at the moment if you remember to close the windows.

Had the a/c on for just 6 hours this summer.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by datamile

Had the a/c on for just 6 hours this summer.
Not originally from Scotland by any chance?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:20 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trejon
Not originally from Scotland by any chance?
Nope, just a well designed house
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:33 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

We have ordered new windows for our build, I have gone for the glass which is 2 sheets with a layer or uv stuff in the middle, think it is the same as K glass, for the whole house its cost us around 5k extra on top of normal glass.

We have though gone for a 3 metre varandah all the way round the house but wanted more glass so this way we can put in as many windows as we like, it increases our energy rating by so much they say.
So we have sliding glass doors in the bedrooms to all come out on the varandah!
Jenny
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:22 am
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: Australia - double glazing installation

Originally Posted by trejon
Secondry glazing will give you some benefit from heat and noise but quite frankly, its a proverbial pain in the a##e when it comes to cleaning the inside of your windows. The other major problem can be condensation forming on the inside causing pooling of water on your window sills.
OK, thanks for the warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.