Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Differen better or worse

Australia Differen better or worse

Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Australia Different better or worse

There are people on here who say it isn't worse or better here but different. Xmass, weather, health, public transport, attitude to work etc etc are the typical discussion points.

To me it depends on your perspective that makes something better or worse than the UK. It is certainly more than the difference. One example is weather. Dotty much prefers crisp chilly frosts and I prefer 3rd degree sun burns down the beach.

Any surfer will tell you that Sydney is a better place to live for swell. The Thames estuary does not generate something rideable.

Xmass for me here is worse because my family is over in the UK and there is nothing to break up the winter. The main thing is that Xmas is not my reason for living and winter is not that bad (swell is better).

There is stuff that is better and worse here and each individual reacts to them differently.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Different better or worse

Originally posted by bondipom
There are people on here who say it isn't worse or better here but different. Xmass, weather, health, public transport, attitude to work etc etc are the typical discussion points.

To me it depends on your perspective that makes something better or worse than the UK. It is certainly more than the difference. One example is weather. Dotty much prefers crisp chilly frosts and I prefer 3rd degree sun burns down the beach.

Any surfer will tell you that Sydney is a better place to live for swell. The Thames estuary does not generate something rideable.

Xmass for me here is worse because my family is over in the UK and there is nothing to break up the winter. The main thing is that Xmas is not my reason for living and winter is not that bad (swell is better).

There is stuff that is better and worse here and each individual reacts to them differently.
BP, good point, I was thinking about this exact thing the other day when talking about it being different. It is different - whether someone likes it or not generally depends on whether their perceptions of it being different are good or bad. Your comment about dotty & the weather is exactly the one I thought of as well - most people would say that the weather is *better* here, but if for some reason you enjoyed cold & rainy weather, then you would think its worse. Doesnt make anyone right or wrong, its all down to perception.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Have to agree that it's different, better in some ways, worse in others.

Good stuff: the landscape is PHENOMENOL
kangaroos, wombats, the bird-life
flora & fauna
people are so friendly, helpful, upbeat
enjoy all the seasons so hope as I'm down south, I will continue to do so
SPACE
driving on empty roads

Bad stuff:
chocolate is expensive!
books are pretty expensive
all that is unfamiliar can be exciting but also scary
xmas definitely better in UK, summer & xmas do NOT go together for me!

But perspective is all as Mrs Dagboy says. Main thing is not to bleat about the stuff that doesn't suit but make the most of that which does.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 2:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what you mean by bleating. Complaining about the irritating aspects of Australia is part of the life blood of the forum. If no one complained nothing would get better but constant whinging can be counter productive.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 9:01 am
Badge

People get 'upset' because they are either in Aussie and want to be back here, or over here and want to be over there, and so naturally get wound up when someone therefore is 'different', not because they are 'wrong', but because the whinger is whinging about something they would, in fact, give their eye teeth for...

in some ways it is worse for 'us', as we haven't got a visa yet, so there is no way of knowing..

so it keeps the wheels going on the forum, amongst all the trivia of buying/selling

Badge

Old Dec 20th 2003, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

The Thames estuary does not generate something rideable.

I was going to mention the Thames Sludge Barges, but apparently the EU stopped this practice in '99. A good thing!

Is there anywhere on the East Coast of NSW where water quality is a problem for surfers/bathers?
Old Dec 20th 2003, 11:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ

Is there anywhere on the East Coast of NSW where water quality is a problem for surfers/bathers?
Not sure, but perhaps if there is you could try the West Coast of NSW instead?
Old Dec 20th 2003, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Not sure, but perhaps if there is you could try the West Coast of NSW instead?
LOL ... I never thought of that turn of phrase before! I've spent too long where it's 100 miles from sea to shining sea : )
Old Dec 21st 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,For me it`s different shit,different bucket.I like the different bucket though,it`s a cleaner ,dryer, safer and warmer bucket with lovely blue sides and a trendy handle.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:18 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,For me it`s different shit,different bucket.I like the different bucket though,it`s a cleaner ,dryer, safer and warmer bucket with lovely blue sides and a trendy handle.

think thats quite a good summing up there jockney!!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you tiredwithtwins it`s amazing the things that appear before you after several cold bottles of Hahn Premium
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:56 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza
There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza
A hole..................................
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:59 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Without wishing to disillusion anyone, being unemployed with not much money whilst your mates and boyfriend are working is no different in Perth than it was in Reading.

The lovely weather and beach down the road does wear off.

NOT whinging, will be fine when I start work in January, just not good at doing nothing .

I've started looking forward to Oprah and I'm looking at lamington pans . :scared:

ie, enjoy, but don't expect the earth!

Last edited by Pookin; Dec 22nd 2003 at 12:01 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

There may well be a hole in the bucket,it would explain where all our cash seems to be dissapearing too.It`s so nice though that it`s one that I hope I dont kick for many a year!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:03 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pookin
Without wishing to disillusion anyone, being unemployed with not much money whilst your mates and boyfriend are working is no different in Perth than it was in Reading.

The lovely weather and beach down the road does wear off.

NOT whinging, will be fine when I start work in January, just not good at doing nothing .

I've started looking forward to Oprah and I'm looking at lamington pans . :scared:

ie, enjoy, but don't expect the earth!
I thought I should have been in the audience of Oprah today when she was giving away lots of fab free gifts, I could jump up and down and scream for free gifts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.