Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Day, Icons, Migration, Refugees, Tolerance, Flag, Southern Cross

Australia Day, Icons, Migration, Refugees, Tolerance, Flag, Southern Cross

Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:02 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default Australia Day, Icons, Migration, Refugees, Tolerance, Flag, Southern Cross

Hardline attitude aids migration: Abbott. Tony Abbott has moved to portray his tough border protection stance as pro-immigration, arguing that it helps to maintain public support if people think immigration is controlled by the government rather than by people smugglers.

More mealy mouthedness, like Rudd, both are terrified of offending racists and legacy of the 90s demonising refugees as political football or wedge issue. Like Cosgrove's speech last week, if they used their authority and led on such issues they may find the perceived audience would listen and obey, rather than follow bigots misinformed by media and related think tanks.

Right time for zero tolerance. Authorities need to cut through the waffle talked about incidents of race-related violence.... The kind of leadership we need on this issue came this week from Peter Cosgrove, who is the very antithesis of a black-armband handwringer on this or any other issue. But with straight talk and plain language Cosgrove said it is undeniable that there is a small and ugly section of the Australian population that is demonstrably racist, and that in some instances, it's been Indians who have been victims of this racism. ..... In NSW, the Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione has been forced to increase officer numbers for Australia Day after the sickening spectacle last year, where alcohol-fuelled yahoos draped in our national ensign were monstering passers-by for refusing to kiss the flag or join the Aussie Aussie Aussie chorus, a song so lyrically bereft that it's amazing anyone is prepared to sing it publicly.

Aussie I love it, but leave me out of the flag waving. Mark Seymour asks why some Australians are so keen to show off how much they love the place. ...... "Australia. Love it or leave it" ........ I think Australia is pretty good, but not that good.

Warwick Thornton says he's deeply concerned that the Southern Cross is becoming a symbol of racism for some Australians. The filmmaker, who has been chosen as the Northern Territory's nomination for Australian of the Year, wants people to spend Australia Day reflecting on the symbolic significance of the national icon. "Aboriginal people have used the Southern Cross for the last 40,000 years as a beacon guiding them to travel through country for survival, and I'm starting to see that star system symbol being used as a very racist nationalistic emblem - and that is seriously worrying me," Thornton said. "We don't want to turn the Southern Cross into a swastika - that's bloody important.

Nationalists everywhere, includinig media,advertising industry and governments, have hijacked Australian icons. Past 15 - 20 years this has included flag, Gallipoli, ANZACS, bush myths, or inverting them e.g. scare stories about Republic, refugees, immigrants, stress upon English versus NESBs and multiculturalism etc.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day, Icons, Migration, Refugees, Tolerance, Flag, Southern Cross

And?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day, Icons, Migration, Refugees, Tolerance, Flag, Southern Cross

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Hardline attitude aids migration: Abbott. Tony Abbott has moved .....etc etc...
Do you have a point to make ?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
Do you have a point to make ?
How about: "Discuss"

"Compare and contrast" is a little trickier given the way the preamble was drafted. But I feel for balkanghost’s concern.

With a media desperate to find relevance, usually by stirring, there is, in my view, and I believe his, a danger of Australia Day being taken over or at least seen as the day on which the rednecks are let loose from their cages to represent the rest of us. The Indian Press will be pleased.

That is a pity because the place would be better if we did what we used to do, basically nothing, a game of cricket in the backyard at mum’s maybe and, more recently thanks to Sam Keckavich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHH0Ebke-lU have a lamb barbecue and a quiet citizenship ceremony in a local park.

Preferably with very few or no flags.

And, of course Tony is trying out his John Howard wedge lessons. Let’s hope we wake up to him faster this time around.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Banksia
How about: "Discuss"
Why ?

Originally Posted by Banksia
the place would be better if we did what we used to do, basically nothing, a game of cricket in the backyard at mum’s maybe
I agree, and maybe stop talking about it as much.

Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I agree, and maybe stop talking about it as much.

I freely admit to a very un-modlike desire today -
a car dove past with an Aussie flag hung out of the window and a bunch of idiots yelling Aussie Aussie Aussie out of the same window - I was very tempted to get the car to stop so I could ram the flag where the sun doesn't shine! Then people wonder why I will be wearing a "Proud to be Welsh" tshirt on Tuesday!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:33 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

a car dove past with an Aussie flag hung out of the window and a bunch of idiots yelling Aussie Aussie Aussie out of the same window - I was very tempted to get the car to stop so I could ram the flag where the sun doesn't shine! Then people wonder why I will be wearing a "Proud to be Welsh" tshirt on Tuesday!
Would it have been better if they yelled out " Taffy Taffy Taffy "oi oi oi .........mm
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

My wife got me to go and buy 2 Flags on Saturday, she told me to put one on my car.... I refused on the grounds that I am NOT Australian !

She put one on hers. The other is now waiting to go on the letterbox, but I think she wants me to put it there. (I refuse on the grounds that I am NOT Australian !)

A local Liverpool supporter removed his big Liverpool flag, from outside his house, and replaced it with a big Australia Flag at the weekend

Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:28 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Would it have been better if they yelled out " Taffy Taffy Taffy "oi oi oi .........mm
I am going to hang the Union Jack and the Welsh flag outside my unit tomorrow
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:33 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think i will dress an aussie as a gollywog and hang him outside my place
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I think i will dress an aussie as a gollywog and hang him outside my place
Got any particular Aussie in mind or are you just gonna drag one in off the street?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:39 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Got any particular Aussie in mind or are you just gonna drag one in off the street?