British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-day-279797/)

bridiej Jan 25th 2005 7:20 am

Australia Day

I was just wondering if Australia Day is classed as a bank holiday and therefore everyone has the day off?

Simone Jan 25th 2005 7:31 am

Re: Australia Day

Originally Posted by bridiej
I was just wondering if Australia Day is classed as a bank holiday and therefore everyone has the day off?

Yes, a public holiday here in WA at least, and I would be surprised if it's different anywhere else.

Most shops will be closed, I think Bunnings is open though :D

bridiej Jan 25th 2005 7:31 am

Thank you!

I guess another day to go by then without my agent advising us about our TRA and when it can be sent off... :(

Pollyana Jan 25th 2005 7:54 am

Thank you!

I guess another day to go by then without my agent advising us about our TRA and when it can be sent off... :(

Day off in Queensland too - so we can all go and splash in the puddles :D

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 7:56 am

I am still at work here. late shift. Day off tomorrow. May go and watch the ferry race from South head. The walkway is now open from Dover Heights to Watsons Bay so may do that.

Merlot Jan 25th 2005 8:28 am

I reckon those that are in the process of moving to Australia or are Aus Citizens in the UK should get a day off from their UK job, just to get in the mood!!!

M :D

mlbonner Jan 25th 2005 8:38 am

Yep, off tomorrow. Called Myers in Brisbane CBD earlier and they're open tomorrow 10-5pm.

annn Jan 25th 2005 8:49 am

Some people might find this useful if looking to find out about Australian holidays especially if you want to know school terms.

http://www.oztourism.com.au/ozhols.htm

Hope it helps

annn

NickyC Jan 25th 2005 9:02 am

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am still at work here. late shift. Day off tomorrow. May go and watch the ferry race from South head. The walkway is now open from Dover Heights to Watsons Bay so may do that.

Hey BP,

Does that mean you can walk all the way from Bondi to Watsons Bay along the cliffs - without having to divert into the streets? I know they were planning on resuming bits of cliff-top gardens from some people. Which bits have just been opened? Where does it start?

I've never done the walk from Bondi north - only the Bondi to Coogee one. Might give it a go too, sometime soon.

Siren & Brian Jan 25th 2005 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Yep, off tomorrow. Called Myers in Brisbane CBD earlier and they're open tomorrow 10-5pm.

Thats shocking....shut the bloody shops, there is more to life than shopping for crap.

E=mc2 Jan 25th 2005 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Siren
Thats shocking....shut the bloody shops, there is more to life than shopping for crap.

Oi, no! We are headed up to the CBD tomorrow and as the weather is crap we will be spending our rubber dollars in the Myer centre. If it clears up we might have a splash at Southbank before watching the fireworks at 19.30 :D

CasG Jan 25th 2005 10:42 am

Originally Posted by E=mc2
Oi, no! We are headed up to the CBD tomorrow and as the weather is crap we will be spending our rubber dollars in the Myer centre. If it clears up we might have a splash at Southbank before watching the fireworks at 19.30 :D

Another hot day in Melbourne 37 forcast :D :eek:
I agree with Siren, plenty of time to do your shopping - as I'm not due to start work till the 7th Feb, i may just stroll down to the beach/ marina park and see whats happening - sorry folks to those working! :rolleyes: :D

Cas

walla Jan 25th 2005 10:57 am

Oh yes indeedee a nation wide public holiday........ bbq's galore especially at my place :D

BTW we get 10 public holidays a year as opposed to 8 in the uk, another reason for coming :D

Geordie George Jan 25th 2005 11:01 am

And we're all invited, right?! :D

Originally Posted by walla1
Oh yes indeedee a nation wide public holiday........ bbq's galore especially at my place :D

BTW we get 10 public holidays a year as opposed to 8 in the uk, another reason for coming :D

worzel Jan 25th 2005 11:13 am

My agent is Australian but based in the UK. So will she be checking my visa tomorrow or having the day off do you thing :D